Next iPhone rumored to adopt 'Wireless PowerShare' tech for powering other devices, fast U...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    USB-PD would be awesome, but fer cryin' out loud, ditch the damn Lightning connector and just put a damn USB-C port in the phone.

There used to be acceptable arguments for having to carry one charging cord for the laptop, another for the headphones, and yet another for the phone. Not anymore, and it's now annoying that the biggest proponent of the connector is so inconsistent about implementing it.
    Was going to say the same thing - one of the principal reasons I didn’t upgrade this year was because the phones still use apple’s proprietary lightening connector which I hate with a passion. If the recent iPad Pro I bought uses usb-c then the iPhone should too - but Apple will go kicking and screaming to keep it because of licensing fees plus customer gauging from sales of their own lightning cables.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    USB-PD would be awesome, but fer cryin' out loud, ditch the damn Lightning connector and just put a damn USB-C port in the phone.

There used to be acceptable arguments for having to carry one charging cord for the laptop, another for the headphones, and yet another for the phone. Not anymore, and it's now annoying that the biggest proponent of the connector is so inconsistent about implementing it.
    Was going to say the same thing - one of the principal reasons I didn’t upgrade this year was because the phones still use apple’s proprietary lightening connector which I hate with a passion. If the recent iPad Pro I bought uses usb-c then the iPhone should too - but Apple will go kicking and screaming to keep it because of licensing fees plus customer gauging from sales of their own lightning cables.

I think Apple likes it better for two reasons. 1: thinner. 2: and this contributes partly to number 1, but the “tongue” in the middle of the USB-C connector makes it theoretically less robust/reliable and more prone to damage. There may be other reasons as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    E46FLEXINE46FLEXIN Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Powershare is very useful in emergencies, my S10 plus helped out my girlfriend's iphone a few times and I like it alot... why not have it than not have it...
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 25
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    If I have charge and you don't, you should have better considered your power usage, charged it more recently or have a power bank. I'm not here to bail out your poor organisational skills. Wireless charging is inefficient enough to put it in the phone. It's twice as bad to then take it out wirelessly too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I'm skeptical.  Unless iPhone battery capacity will be increased as well, all this will do is deplete the iPhone's already short-lived battery even more, requiring more frequent charging, in addition to making the phone unusable while the Watch or AirPods charge.

I guess we'll see come September.