Apple Arcade will service Apple's one billion gamers on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
For Apple's third reveal for the services-centric event on Monday, the company has rolled out a new gaming subscription service for the iPad, iPhone, and Mac called "Apple Arcade"

Citing titles like "Alto's Adventure" and similar paid titles, Apple says that Apple Arcade is the worlds first games subscription service for mobile, desktop, and the living room. Apple is backing development and working with the developers.

Developers listed as participating in the project are Sega, Devolver, Disney, and more.

Developers participating in Apple Arcade
Developers participating in Apple Arcade

Apple notes that there will be more than 100 games available at launch. A single subscription fee will allow you to download any Apple Arcade game from the app store. The company claims that none of the games on Apple Arcade will be available on any other "all you can play" service.

The iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV are all supported by all of the games on the service, and offline play is available for all titles. Game saves are in the cloud, allowing for seamless transfer of play between one device and another.

The games will have no advertisements, or any in-app purchases. Apple Arcade games cannot collect any data on the user, without consent.

Apple Arcade arrives in the Fall of 2019, in 150 countries and regions. Pricing has not yet been disclosed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Awesome...finally!
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 40
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This I might be interested in, depending on the price of course. I'm already paying ~$7-$10/mo for games. A flat fee in that range plus the ability to move the game from my iPad to my Mac would be great.
    edited March 2019 curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I feel mixed on this announcement. While I'm happy Apple is finally paying attention to gamers, I was hoping bigger game developers would be on board. I'm hoping Sega releases old school titles. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 40
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    DAalseth said:
    This I might ne interested in, depending on the price of course. I'm already paying ~$7-$10/mo for games. A flat fee min that range plus the ability to move the game from my iPad to my Mac would be great.
    If someone is already paying $5-$10/mo for games on Apple Pay, it may make sense for them.
    For people, who are using free games only, will not goto subscription model anyway.
    They are also not getting XBox/PS to this one.
    frantisek
  • Reply 5 of 40
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    shahhet2 said:
    DAalseth said:
    This I might ne interested in, depending on the price of course. I'm already paying ~$7-$10/mo for games. A flat fee min that range plus the ability to move the game from my iPad to my Mac would be great.
    If someone is already paying $5-$10/mo for games on Apple Pay, it may make sense for them.
    For people, who are using free games only, will not goto subscription model anyway.
    They are also not getting XBox/PS to this one.
    My fear is that it might be $20-$25/mo which would be a deal breaker for me.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 6 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Should be interesting to see how games which are designed for iPhone/iPad translate to the Mac/AppleTV, where you don't have a touchscreen.  Without additional developer effort to adapt the game controls for those platforms, the only way I see it working well is if you're also using your iPhone/iPad for control.  But if that's the case, why wouldn't you just play it on those devices directly?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    One of the cool things about this approach is that it includes big screen gaming on the Apple TV. That's going to be a compelling feature for both purchasing the service and for purchasing Apple TV hardware as well. 
    edited March 2019 n2itivguychasmcurtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    The games don’t look very compelling...  Maybe for kids...?

I’m a fan of Diablo style games, which are pretty much non existent on iOS.

If I can’t have that, I play chess...
  • Reply 9 of 40
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    One of the cool things about this approach is that it includes big screen gaming on the Apple TV. That's going to be a compelling feature for both purchasing the service and for purchasing Apple TV hardware as well. 
    Isn't Apple TV already supports existing games? Considering success/complaints they have, I wouldn't be too optimistic. These are same games that are available today but with subscription model.
  • Reply 10 of 40

Serious question:  isn't Fortnight a "Diablo-style" game?  Run around and shoot things with beautiful graphics.
    chasm
  • Reply 11 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Serious question:  isn't Fortnight a "Diablo-style" game?  Run around and shoot things with beautiful graphics.
    No. Obviously you’ve not played either. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    auxio said:
    Should be interesting to see how games which are designed for iPhone/iPad translate to the Mac/AppleTV, where you don't have a touchscreen.  Without additional developer effort to adapt the game controls for those platforms, the only way I see it working well is if you're also using your iPhone/iPad for control.  But if that's the case, why wouldn't you just play it on those devices directly?

There is already gaming on ATV. You control with the Siri Remote or a 3rd party game controller (which Apple should really just build their own and embrace it as a console).
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40
    shahhet2 said: Isn't Apple TV already supports existing games? Considering success/complaints they have, I wouldn't be too optimistic. These are same games that are available today but with subscription model.
    The difference for Apple Arcade is that any game that is available within the service will be guaranteed to be available on Apple TV. The problem with Apple TV gaming currently is how few iOS game developers provide an Apple TV version. It's not very predictable...so much so that you tend to forget to even think about looking to see if an Apple TV version exists. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40

seanismorris said: I’m a fan of Diablo style games, which are pretty much non existent on iOS.
    You need to try Grimvalor then. It's played in side view, but it has a lot of inspiration from Diablo. 
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    auxio said:
    One would hope there is a decent universal controller with a H1 chip or similar Ready to go when this service launches.

airpod magic but most importantly, actually a good controller. The controller reimagined. As long as they keep Ive away from it.
    edited March 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 40
    So will games that are on Apple Arcade also be available for individual purchase on the app store? The moment games become exclusive to a subscription only service that will be the downfall of that service.

Also, title of this article is way off the mark. 1 billion Apple devices are in use world wide, but not all of them are used by gamers. All about seeing Apple succeed but let's not reduce things to hype!

• Reply 17 of 40
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member

Diablo Immortal is coming for iOS. However any game company can choose to have their game in Apple Arcade or just be sold as as standalone game.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Since many games on the App Store have ads in game, or in-game purchases, I can see why Apple didn't include any of the existing games from the App Store in Apple Arcade. However some games on the App Store now may qualify for easy inclusion into Apple Arcade. It remains to be seen if Apple Arcade or App Store is more profitable for gaming companies. Some of the free games may enjoy the switch to Apple Arcade, though they will have to ensure their ads are taken out. What I'm curious about is whether "product placement" will be allowed in games available in the Apple Arcade. That may sneak through.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    auxio said:
    Some games cannot be translated between macOS / iOS. It is obvious that there will be different games on each platform but one subscription will encompass all.

Although the article says “The iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV are all supported by all of the games on the service, and offline play is available for all titles” that would reduce the inventory to a very small subset. I didn’t watch the Event, have to check if it is exactly presented as mentioned.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    shahhet2 said:
    Isn't Apple TV already supports existing games? Considering success/complaints they have, I wouldn't be too optimistic. These are same games that are available today but with subscription model.
    auxio said:
    Some games cannot be translated between macOS / iOS. It is obvious that there will be different games on each platform but one subscription will encompass all.

Although the article says “The iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV are all supported by all of the games on the service, and offline play is available for all titles” that would reduce the inventory to a very small subset. I didn’t watch the Event, have to check if it is exactly presented as mentioned.
    Im pretty sure this is going to use that software porting Apple developed last year to port all games likely form iOS to Mac and Apple TV. Right now Apple TV gaming is limited to a few dozen titles and Mac is less limited, but still short of Windows/iOS, this will likely close the gap. Im also taking it from the event as new exclusive games will be it, so while some of the games will be good, they are nothing we are currently familiar with, and the more popular games won't be on this, or vise versa. The good news of that is it could be less than $10 a month, though pricing wasn't announced, so its very likely they are negotiating it with the developers.
    watto_cobra