Apple is rolling out these 40 new features and changes in iOS 12.2 for iPhone & iPad

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2019
Now that Apple has rolled out iOS 12.2 for iPhone and iPad, AppleInsider breaks down over 40 features and changes that are included in the new OS update.

iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.2
iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.2

The lengthy beta phase of iOS 12.2 has come to an end, and Apple has finally released the feature-packed update to the masses. Within this point update is a pile of new features and changes that run from the mundane to the profound.

We've been testing and scrutinizing iOS 12.2 since it was first released to developers in February and have compiled a near-exhaustive list of every feature and change Apple baked in.

Let's dig in.

One of the biggest new additions was support for HomeKit TVs that are soon to be flooding the market from the likes of LG, Vizio, and others. Aside from adding official support, Apple also verbosely tweaked the Control Center Remote tile and various other UI elements that impact the Apple TV as well. The Control Center Remote now is full screen, can support TVs and Apple TVs, and added back the forward/backward skip buttons.

Control Center Remote tile
Control Center Remote tile

Apple is also expected to release an updated version of the Remote app on the App Store to mirror these changes there as well.

Rumors have been swirling about Apple launching an Apple Pay branded credit card with Goldman Sachs, and as a possible precursor to that, the iPhone maker has been tightening up the UI within the Wallet app. Entire tabs have been redesigned with new layouts and additional information.

AppleCare status is now available directly from Settings where you can also purchase AppleCare if your device is eligible.

New Animoji owl character
New Animoji owl character

Messages received four new Animoji characters such as owl, giraffe, shark, and boar.

The new paid service Apple News+ is baked into this release which brings you over 300 magazines, digital subscriptions, The Wall Street Journal, and more for $9.99 a month. We will a closer look at Apple News+ shortly.

Both the second generation AirPods and AirPower are now support on iOS 12.2 -- the former of which is already shipping out to customers.

Full list

HomeKit
  • Support For HomeKit TVs

• "Allow Speaker Access" becomes "Allow Speaker & TV Access" in Home app

• Control Center
  • A new responsive AirPlay icon has been added to the music widget in Control Center

• New animation when jumping to Music from the Control Center widget

• New Screen Mirroring icon in Control Center

• New icon for Remote widget in Control Center

• Remote widget in Control Center was redesigned (to support HomeKit TVs as well as Apple TVs)

• Remote widget in Control Center is now full screen

• Skip forward/back have returned while playing content

• New "Now Playing" UI with new remote buttons

• AirPlay now continues in the background to let you multitask

• Wallet
  • App icon from the bottom was removed of third-party cards

• The ellipses moved from bottom right to top

• Info ellipsis is solid black now

• Latest transaction below is in a rounded bubble with icon

• Tapping the latest transaction takes you to more info-screen

• Redesigned transaction info screen

• Card details page was redesigned with the card picture on top and name centered below, blue "info" and "transactions" buttons are black

• On transactions page, all transactions are in bubble-style grid

• Now easy tap call and website buttons under Card Info

• Apple Pay card now has easy add money and transfer to bank buttons instead of just text

• Safari
  • Safari warns users about websites that don't support HTTPS

• Safari search predictions now have arrows to the right

• Keyboard now has a color picker

• Remotes support for outdated Do Not Track setting

• Sign-in now occurs after filling credientials with AutoFill

• Settings
  • Motion & Orientation Data toggle is available in Safari settings

• Under "About", model name is now listed

• About section now uses small "s" for iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max

• Apple Care purchase option is in Settings, as well as status

• Can toggle Air Quality Index on/off for Maps

• Maps
  • Maps now has Air Quality Index rating in the lower corner

• News
  • Apple News has a new icon

• Includes Apple News+ service for magazines and other content (more coming soon)

• Apple News comes to Canada

• "APPLE NEWS" has become an Apple logo followed by "News"

• Siri
  • Use Siri to play content on Apple TV

• Apple Music
  • Additional content in Browse tab

• New devices support
  • AirPower support

• AirPods 2 support

• New Animoji Characters -- giraffe, shark, owl, boar

• If you want to see what changed with each beta, check out our individual posts, starting with iOS 12.2 beta 6.

Find any changes or features we didn't mention? Shoot me an email at [email protected] or reach out to me on Twitter at @Andrew_OSU.</e

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Thank you for the video, and also a big thank you for including a printed list of the features as well.
    jbdragonbakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Wait.. AirPower support? I want!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Wait to see how it effects the speed of my webpages browsing and loading before upgrading to 12.2!  I am no fool!  Slower means road to be coming obsolete iPad! Really do need any of these new features in the list!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No iMessage draft save feature like Android, no IOS update is good to me!!!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Wait.. AirPower support? I want!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    This release seems kind of strange - usually the last beta is the final one so never got an update after the final version was released. And only waited till next beta. But today got the update too... Curious if someone finds what was the difference between last beta and the final public release...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    "a near-exhaustive list"

Indeed I am exhausted before I even begin.

I spent some time today (multiple support calls) trying to simply move video files from iOS to Mac (2011) directly without the use of some out of jurisdiction cloud service.

In iTunes 12.6.5.x it was relatively easy and direct - perhaps I am missing something yet where is the 'on my mac' folder in the Apple Files App for drag and drop ? Should it be so difficult ?

To me Apple is building a privacy Trojan Horse - utterly frog boiling and mind boggling if we acquiesce to 'just trust us' - Apple claims 'advertisers' won't be able to track users - how about Apple ?

The accelerating potential privacy invasiveness of this 'ecosystem' seems worth extremely sober consideration, especially since legacy support is not really an effective choice. Even if Apple doesn't change their EULA fine print, how would one good massive outage or hack effect 'valued customers'...?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Does anybody agree that a welcome feature might be to have a few options to customize the colors and\or size and look of the phone app ??   
  • Reply 9 of 10
    wood1208 said:
    No iMessage draft save feature like Android, no IOS update is good to me!!!
    I’d just like the ability to make an iMessage as ‘unread’ so I can come back to it later and reply 
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Loaded News on new iPad and iOS 12.2 crashes over and over. Wish I’d never updated!