Apple debuts subscription 'Apple News+' integrating magazines & other publications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Is this the first we've heard of "Wyatt Mitchell, Apple's Director of Application Design"?  His name is new to me.  Sounds like critical player at Apple if that title is any indication.
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    STC said:
    I already spend $10 a month for New York Times and Washington Post. Until both of those are included in News+ I will not be a subscriber. 
    I'm the opposite.  When my WaPo subscription runs out, I'll likely dump it and save a ton of money using Apple News+.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    shahhet2 said:
    If this include actual WSJ subscription, then it's good.
    But as per the some comments from WSJ, "The available Journal content will include general ‘news, politics and lifestyle’ but business and finance news will be de-prioritized."
    If that just means no business news but more like politics news/lifestyle, then I don't subscribe to WSJ for that.
    Let's see.
    From the Apple site:
    Leading newspapers
    Stay up to date with full access to the world’s best journalism.
    The Wall Street Journal
    Get the day’s most important business and financial news.

If "full access" doesn't mean all the articles, then that's misleading.  Therefore I have to assume that full access means full access.

lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Whether this is a great or a major bomb will depend on the content available and any limitations hidden in the fine print. 
    hmurchison
  • Reply 25 of 40
    sfpropssfprops Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I'm not paying for a "+" version until I can get a free version where every single minute of the day there aren't 2-3 stories on Donald Trump in the "trending" section that probably no one but hardcore haters or lovers want to read.  It's a bug, not a feature.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,689member
    I'm from Canada. I've subscribed to Apple News+ when it came out right after the Apple event. I've spent the last few hours trying to read it. There are some things I really like, but some things I totally hate. Which do you want to know? In short, the price and value are ok. I can tolerate the ads. Some magazines have no ads, but some are ad-loaded. But my main problems are with the News. I can't even find the Wall Street Journal or LA Times here in Canada. Maybe I'm an idiot who just can't find them, but I'm worried they are blocked to Canadians (and therefore everyone else in the world.) But even worse, I can't find how to read the dozen or so Canadian Newspapers. Unlike magazines, which I can easily find and read from cover to cover, the only way I seem to be able to access any articles from Canadian newspapers is through the Apple News curation feature. WHAT? To me this isn't access at all. If I'm right, it means I cannot access roughly 99% of the newspapers I thought I was paying for. I can access only the articles that Apple curators have selected for me to see. If true, this isn't freedom, this is censorship, for which I am paying. I'm hoping I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, please tell me where I can read the US or Canadian newspapers!
    iSalmanPak
  • Reply 27 of 40
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 105member
    Missed opportunity not including Live News videos in a tie-in with the new TV service. That would've gotten a lot of people to jump on-board.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    So I subscribed to the free trial. When I open it the link on my newly-updated iPhone, I get 'A Letter From The Editor' that concludes with a 'Start Reading' button. Press the 'Start Reading' button. Get navigated to an 'AppleNews+' splash page touting 'Hundreds of magazines and leading newspapers. Read magazines cover to cover, online or off, etc etc.' Concludes with 'Start Reading' button. Press the 'Start Reading button. Get navigated back to the 'A Letter From The Editor' page, which concludes with a 'Start Reading' button. Press the 'Start Reading' button. Get navigated to the 'AppleNews+' splash page, which concludes with a 'Start Reading' button. Press the 'Start Reading' button. Get navigated back to the 'A Letter From The Editor' page. Etc. Etc. Restart iPhone. Same thing. Maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member

If "full access" doesn't mean all the articles, then that's misleading.  Therefore I have to assume that full access means full access.

Wall Street Journal already confirmed that business/finance stories are not part of the deal. 
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,581member
    garrym said:
    I pay $24.98 per month for The Star and Wall Street Journal. Good content is worth money. I will definitely switch as long as WSJ is included in Canada. 
    Me too. I am going in for mainly the WSJ.
    Follow-up to post 19, now confirmed by the WSJ as quoted by a related AI article just a bit ago:

"... the WSJ has something of an ace in the hole, as only select content will be made available to News+ subscribers.

"Is all our content going on Apple News?" Lewis said. "No. We're going to make sure the Apple News product is a wonderful product people feel comfortable investing in."

While WSJ editor Matt Murray is in charge of dictating what content makes it onto Apple's service, Lewis guesses the selection will be a mix of general, political and sports stories. That theory is borne out in the publication's offerings available in Apple News+ today."
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Ok, I am all signed up for News+ and it is actually quite good, but it does take getting used to. As the old sayings go, “Who moved my cheese?”, and “Who changed the paradigm?” Etc.,

First, you will need to update your software to iOS 12.2, which they forgot to mention. 

I have being using Texture for years, even before they changed the name to Texture, and then were bought by Apple. I am happy to say that I am getting the same magazines that I enjoyed. 

I have played around with the Wall Street Journal on News+ and it does in fact have Top News, U.S., World, Business & Finance, Opinion, and Life & Arts sections. It is different and is going to take some time to get used to. I think I will keep my regular online subscription for several more months. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 40
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    DangDave said:
    Ok, I am all signed up for News+ and it is actually quite good, but it does take getting used to. As the old sayings go, “Who moved my cheese?”, and “Who changed the paradigm?” Etc.,

First, you will need to update your software to iOS 12.2, which they forgot to mention. 

I have being using Texture for years, even before they changed the name to Texture, and then were bought by Apple. I am happy to say that I am getting the same magazines that I enjoyed. 

I have played around with the Wall Street Journal on News+ and it does in fact have Top News, U.S., World, Business & Finance, Opinion, and Life & Arts sections. It is different and is going to take some time to get used to. I think I will keep my regular online subscription for several more months. 
    Did you checked that it is not already using your WSJ online subscription credentials?
    Try going to comment , and see if it shows your logged in credentials from online WSJ subscription.

As far as magazines are concerned and if you are in US, I am surprised that your are not using RB digital or Zinio app where you can get most of those magazines  free with  your library credentials.

• Reply 33 of 40
    Okay I got News+ working on macOS. It took a long time because the OS patch required took half an hour to install. But once I got it all working I had a nasty surprise. The News app in macOS which reads the News+ service does not have a font adjustment option. And on a 5K monitor the font is way too small to read. It looks like a 6 point font on a 5K monitor. I would probably be comfortable reading an 18 point font. As it is fixed and tiny, I don't think I can physically read anything in the app. Even worse, some of the magazines in the app use an ultra-thin font. So the text appears like a thin light grey colour in tiny size. Didn't Apple test this app with readers over age 30? I believe I recall seeing a font adjustment icon on the iOS version of News, so why isn't there one in the macOS version? POSTSCRIPT: I found the font-size change menu item, but it doesn't work on some pages in the News App, like the starting pages. That's totally unacceptable. I presume it's a bug. EVEN WORSE: Some of the stories in the News app open a web browser to read the story! How does that prevent the news providers from tracking me??? Is this a bug too, or are News providers allowed to redirect readers to their website (and then probably say, "you need a subscription to continue")? And another problem: there's no FIND/SEARCH ability for text. On some pages, but not all, I can copy/paste the articles into an external editor so that I can FIND/SEARCH. Is this what Apple wants us to do? And another problem: whenever I switch pages to a new News article, the last font change I make is not "remembered". I have to re-adjust the font on every single page, which for me means pressing Command-+ four times on every news article. Easy to fix, but whoever was in charge of quality control for this app should be replaced. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 34 of 40
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 509member
    Just signed up for News+ and it is just a home run of a service. The selection is great. I will not be canceling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 40
    MisterKit said:
    Just signed up for News+ and it is just a home run of a service. The selection is great. I will not be canceling.
    I agree that the selection is great. The value is great. Many things are great. But in my previous post I was talking only about the bad things. Like the fact that you can't adjust the font size on many important pages. I think it's perfectly fair for me to point out the negatives. And I'm helping other people to make informed decisions. And I might even be helping Apple if they read users' comments on this website.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 40
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    Did Apple not see Magzter? 5000 magazines for the same price, or less if you get a yearly subscription?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If Apple aren't monitoring what you're reading, how are they calculating the revenue share between all the magazines?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    crowley said:
    If Apple aren't monitoring what you're reading, how are they calculating the revenue share between all the magazines?
    Just guessing, but they could be simply logging that something was accessed (and when) without recording any identifying information.  That would be privacy preserving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    garrym said:
    I pay $24.98 per month for The Star and Wall Street Journal. Good content is worth money. I will definitely switch as long as WSJ is included in Canada. 
    Me too. I am going in for mainly the WSJ.
    Follow-up to post 19, now confirmed by the WSJ as quoted by a related AI article just a bit ago:

"... the WSJ has something of an ace in the hole, as only select content will be made available to News+ subscribers.

"Is all our content going on Apple News?" Lewis said. "No. We're going to make sure the Apple News product is a wonderful product people feel comfortable investing in."

While WSJ editor Matt Murray is in charge of dictating what content makes it onto Apple's service, Lewis guesses the selection will be a mix of general, political and sports stories. That theory is borne out in the publication's offerings available in Apple News+ today."
    The article has been updated with a further clarification.  All content will be available, but the ability to get prior content is limited (for some content?) to 3 days.  Unfortunately the link to the original source of the clarification from the WSJ is a bad link.  But I do expect that Apple was telling the truth when they advertised "full access."
    lostkiwiDP22730
  • Reply 40 of 40
    DP22730DP22730 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I think this is helpful what apple is doing here. But yes we need unubstructed access to WSJ and access to the NYT. I suspect those will come soon enough.

It would also be fantastic if Apple investigated the venture of adding Season 3 of Stargate Universe to their fall lineup. It would be even more fantastic if Jason Momoa were to make a cameo appearance there.