'Apple TV HD' is the new name for 4th-generation 1080p Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Perhaps to avoid confusion with its multiplying TV services, Apple is renaming the base-level fourth-generation 1080p Apple TV to the "Apple TV HD."

Apple TV HD

Pricing and features for the set-top are otherwise unchanged. A single 32-gigabyte model is available for $149, coming equipped with a Siri Remote, an A8 processor and support for standards like HDMI 1.4 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 sound.

The product is $30 less than the Apple TV 4K, which offers not just 4K resolution but an A10X chip, HDMI 2.0a, Dolby Atmos sound and two HDR (high dynamic range) video standards: HDR10 and Dolby Vision. A 64-gigabyte model runs $199.

The name change was made without fanfare on the heels of several related announcements, namely an overhauled TV app, Apple TV Channels and Apple TV+, a future home for original shows and movies. Having a device simply named the "Apple TV" could create unnecessary mixups.

The HD should get the new TV app and TV+, since both it and the Apple TV 4K rely on tvOS. Apple has so far kept the older TV box current with updates pushed out to its top-of-the-line streamer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Part of me really wishes Apple would be focused including the best graphics in these boxes as the better the GPU when somebody buys it the better the games they can run with Apple Arcade. 
    StrangeDayscurtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Still wish they made a model for OTA video recording.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Still at $149? What a joke. How can anyone recommend this to anyone else?
    Old hardware rebranded. It’s insulting. Tim Cook talks the talk, but I suspect he doesn’t think much of Apple users.

One would hope the 4K version, which obviously won’t be getting an upgrade or better pricing either in the near future, comes with some serious investment in controllers to go with the Apple Arcade subscription.

muthuk_vanalingamdocno42
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    entropys said:
    Old hardware rebranded. It’s insulting. Tim Cook talks the talk, but I suspect he doesn’t think much of Apple users.

One would hope the 4K version, which obviously won’t be getting an upgrade or better pricing either in the near future, comes with some serious investment in controllers to go with the Apple Arcade subscription.

Not much joy in your life, what with needing the latest and greatest everything at half the cost, huh?

AppleTV is practically sold at cost now as it is. Not sure what you’re looking for here. Probably by the time these games are available in the fall, you’ll see new hardware. Until then, they work great.
    racerhomie3StrangeDaysdewmechristopher126pscooter63n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    entropys said:

Yup.  People won't even buy $99 4K Blu-ray players to go along with their new shiny premium UHD TV.   A 1080 Apple TV for 149.99 looks silly next to a Roku $39.99 4K HDR streamer. 

entropys
  • Reply 6 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    If you hate Apple, rejoice in the fact that Apple makes products that don't satisfy you or that might limit Apple's sales. I buy some non-Apple products when Apple doesn't make what I want. I'm not mad at anybody. Be happy.
    racerhomie3StrangeDaysMacProSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    If you hate Apple, rejoice in the fact that Apple makes products that don't satisfy you or that might limit Apple's sales. I buy some non-Apple products when Apple doesn't make what I want. I'm not mad at anybody. Be happy.
    I think this is the problem. Apple keeps talking about Services as the key to stemming a slowing of iPhone sales but the problem is they aren't the Gold Standard of most of the services.  I stick with Apple Music because I don't like Spotify.   I stick with iCloud because I don't like Dropbox's offerings.  I stick with iTunes Player because Roon costs money.    This comes down to how "sticky" Apple products and services are and I feel like they're not not sticky enough.   I love that I can access Tidal and Pandora on so many 3rd party devices.  Some people are going to enjoy everything coming from the same pot.   I'm looking forward to adding Linux and Windows back the home network.  I feel like computing has gotten stale.   
    christopher126
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jkichline said:
    entropys said:

Not much joy in your life, what with needing the latest and greatest everything at half the cost, huh?

AppleTV is practically sold at cost now as it is. Not sure what you’re looking for here. Probably by the time these games are available in the fall, you’ll see new hardware. Until then, they work great.
    It is not unreasonable to expect value.  And value isn’t just about price.  Airpods, for example, while expensive, work very well. And thus have value.
    But there is very little value left in this product. And I call bullshit on it being at cost. It has a four year old SOC where the R&D got amortised years ago,  basic power supply, a wifi chip, an Ethernet, HDMI port all in a plastic box. 
    And it competes with $49 stuff.

And it it isn’t the latest and greatest by the way. So it should cost less.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamdocno42zoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 25

Trouble is some of us have thirty plus years of investment in the Apple ecosystem, stuck with Apple in the times Apple was known as the beleaguered company, rejoiced in the Apple renaissance, but these days can no longer happily justify an Apple purchase to our friends.

We aren’t Apple Haters, we are Apple lovers who feel unloved in return. Battered user syndrome.
    edited March 2019 docno42
  • Reply 10 of 25
    entropys said:

Trouble is some of us have thirty plus years of investment in the Apple ecosystem, stuck with Apple in the times Apple was known as the beleaguered company, rejoiced in the Apple renaissance, but these days can no longer happily justify an Apple purchase to our friends.

We aren’t Apple Haters, we are Apple lovers who feel unloved in return. Battered user syndrome.

This.   It's tiring to hear such self aggrandizing talk come from Apple Exec mouths.   No you're not changing the world you are peddling music and movies.  I think what Apple has done with a focus on Health and moving the US forward in payment processing and now credit cards is commendable.   These have the potential for huge impact in not only our physical health but our financial health as well.  

That being said ...I don't know if it's a good idea for kids to learning coding early.   Often our creative endeavors are at odds with the realities of economic systems at play.  If I'm going to implore my sons to change the world they need to realize that that doesn't get done playing endless games or watching hundreds of hours of streaming content. 
    docno42
  • Reply 11 of 25
    ZooStationZooStation Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Maybe apple should make everything free for everyone? I’ve had all the 4K boxes and NOTHING works better or easier than a 4K ATV.

if you don’t agree great, enjoy your $29 firestick and your pirated 4K movies.
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    entropys said:

I recommend it. Lots of my family don't have 4K sets nor any interest in one. They still want a quality streamer box, and IMO the ATV remains the best. No qualms about it. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    entropys said:

Yup.  People won't even buy $99 4K Blu-ray players to go along with their new shiny premium UHD TV.   A 1080 Apple TV for 149.99 looks silly next to a Roku $39.99 4K HDR streamer. 
    Not when I think about how poor the Roku interface and push-button remote is compared to tvOS and touch & swipe. Seriously, I wouldn't wish junk on anyone. Plus, if the person is invested in the Apple ecosytem with iTunes purchases, it's a no-brainer. Apple TV ftw.

hate on bro.
    dewmebrucemcmike1SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Instead these angry men feel the compulsion to jump onto every story and pound their little keyboards with fury, eager to tell the world how mad they are. It's comical. 
    edited March 2019 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    It would have been nice to see the prices dropped on the Apple TV this week, but I guess they are just going to wait to release the new one around the time of Apple TV+ service in the fall.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:

Not when I think about how poor the Roku interface and push-button remote is compared to tvOS and touch & swipe. Seriously, I wouldn't wish junk on anyone. Plus, if the person is invested in the Apple ecosytem with iTunes purchases, it's a no-brainer. Apple TV ftw.

hate on bro.
    Besides having a much better interface, there's also the core difference in the products. Why don't more people question why a "4K HDR streamer" only costs $40?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/17595384/roku-ceo-anthony-wood-ads-hardware-business-interview-business-model
    pscooter63roundaboutnowbikertwinbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    entropys said:

Except I have had both, and still use the Roku box, but the experience and ease of use of using the Apple TV is absolutely three times better than that $40 Roku box you mentioned. That thing is so terribly slow, and Roku apps are simply terrible. The $100 Roku box is a better comparison, but Apple TV, I would argue, is still at least 50% better than that too.
    n2itivguySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    AF_Hitt said:
    entropys said:

Except I have had both, and still use the Roku box, but the experience and ease of use of using the Apple TV is absolutely three times better than that $40 Roku box you mentioned. That thing is so terribly slow, and Roku apps are simply terrible. The $100 Roku box is a better comparison, but Apple TV, I would argue, is still at least 50% better than that too.
    I have the opposite experience. I hardly ever use my AppleTV HD now that I have a 4k Roku TV. The remote is way better. I am really hoping I can download the Roku Apple TV app for it as Tim Apple promised.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    eightzero said:
    I have the opposite experience. I hardly ever use my AppleTV HD now that I have a 4k Roku TV. The remote is way better. I am really hoping I can download the Roku Apple TV app for it as Tim Apple promised.
    The remote on the Apple TV is a finicky and utter joke.  That they have stubbornly stuck with it despite its glaring flaws just screams a giant FU at we the users.

If they bring the TV app or heck, just AirPlay to Roku I will never buy or recommend another ATV until they fix the damn remote. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    entropys said:
    jkichline said:
    entropys said:

It is not unreasonable to expect value.  And value isn’t just about price.  Airpods, for example, while expensive, work very well. And thus have value.
    But there is very little value left in this product. And I call bullshit on it being at cost. It has a four year old SOC where the R&D got amortised years ago, basic power supply, a wifi chip, an Ethernet, HDMI port all in a plastic box. 
    And it competes with $49 stuff.

And it it isn’t the latest and greatest by the way. So it should cost less.
    One word ...... Airplay. Can any of those $49 box effortlessly stream personal videos, pictures and music from an iPhone, iPad or Mac, wirelessly to a TV screen, through home WiFi? Not to mention any apps that supports Airplay?

On eBay, a 3rd generation Apple TV (that is 7 years old) and were going for $99 new (with a remote) when it was discontinued in 2016, still sells for about $50 used (without the remote). Why? Why not a new Roku box for $49? Because some Apple users wants to be able to stream their own contents from their iOS device, to their big screen TV, with the built in Airplay feature of their iOS device (and maybe rent videos from the iTunes Store).   

Airplay still support the ATV 3. Airplay no longer supports the ATV 2, which is why they are going for less then $10. Plus the ATV 2 don't support HD. These ATV 3 buyers don't need a $49 Roku box because for them, it doesn't do any more than the Smart TV or Smart BluRay player they already have. But there aren't any Smart TV or BluRay players, that are supported by Airplay (or rent from the iTunes Store).  Some Apple users aren't interested in paying $150 for a new ATV4 or $90 for a used one, because they mainly only need the Airplay feature. Something they could get for less than $50 with a used ATV3.    

Airplay can be a must have feature, even if the only Apple device one own is an iPad or iPhone. I've help several friends, whose only Apple device is an iPad, with setting up an used ATV3 in their home, so they can steam their personal contents on to their TV. A feature they didn't know they needed, until I showed them how they could use Airplay to send their videos to my TV, so a group of friends that were at my home at the time, could all watch it together on a big screen.  

I also once had a friend used Airplay to stream a movie from HBO Go on his iPhone, to my TV (hooked to an ATV4), so a group of us can watch the movie.    
    brucemcmike1watto_cobra