Apple announces Apple TV+ service with Apple's unique programming, coming this Fall

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member

6502 said:
    Great, Oprah's involved. Now I know why the iPhone is so expensive, 30% goes to her. Nothing presented today is anything I'm remotely interested in. Yet another streaming service. I'll happily stick with my $80/mo Uverse+internet. I mostly watch youtube anyway. Apple has jumped the shark.
    Ah yes, because theyre the most successful (biggest, profitable, satisfaction ratings, etc) public corp in history, and because people said they're too vested in hardware, now that they increase their services offerings, they've jumped the shark? Yeah no. No one is forcing you to ditch whatever or wherever you get your content. I stream. 
    All the haters and trolls are out en masse. They all love to hate Apple. 
    lkruppHenryDJP
  • Reply 62 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    AppleZulu said:

Oprah?  LOL.    Apple TV+ sounds like it's going to be trash. 

Honestly the Apple Credit Card was the most exciting announcement.  The rest of the stuff is stuff looks standard fare  B List Actors and Directors.  
    Probably just save my money and watch it grow in the Apple Wallet app.  
    Can you please pass the drugs you're smoking? These were some of the most famous, most bankable directors and performers and producers.
    Do y'all even watch movies or do you just read about them.   The Force Awakens was TRASH.   That's that beauty of the fanbases of Trekkies and Star Wars fans.  You can deliver a dud and you'll still get the Mercy F*** from the fans.  It's the Franchises are bankable not these "insert a Director" B-Listers 
    Please provide your A list directors and actors for our reference.

So your A-list/B-list designation is entirely based on your personal preferences. That's totally legit.
    I own 600+ HD movies so I guess you can say I put my money...where my mouth is.  
    gilly33
  • Reply 63 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    lkrupp said:
    This household is not giving up Netflix.    My pain-point isn't managing a few apps.  If Apple can deliver some winners then they have a chance but they need to chill on the "we da best!" marketing schtick or you're going to find Netflix cleaning your clock.  

You're selling what everyone else is selling.   There's very little innovation in aggregating content.   Apple original content is going to have to be good. ....really good.
    Anything will be better than the tripe you watch on Netflix.

I thought Birdbox was clever marketing and a decent low budget film.  Ozark is my current favorite.  I have two young'uns so I miss out and more content that I'd like to.   
  • Reply 64 of 98
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Of course Apple is going to come out and say there’s is the destination for the best programming. That’s how anyone playing to win speaks. Netflix evolved and got better but they have a lot of crap on their too. So we will wait and see. Stiff competition for sure. Up against Disney, and Netflix et al. I’ll continue watching Netflix for the gritty adult fare. Apple probably will be more family oriented and that’s fine. Good luck to them. 
  • Reply 65 of 98
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    It felt like "We've got Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, U2... they are all going to create cutting edge music you've never heard before.  The greatest artists of our time creating music especially for you!!!"  The truth is that most of these people on stage today are past their creative prime and are just cashing in on the deal.  
    You make a good point. It’s too bad they couldn’t create a mentor ship type of relationship with the younger folks. There would be some interesting cross pollination of ideas. 
  • Reply 66 of 98
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    This household is not giving up Netflix.    My pain-point isn't managing a few apps.  If Apple can deliver some winners then they have a chance but they need to chill on the "we da best!" marketing schtick or you're going to find Netflix cleaning your clock.  

You're selling what everyone else is selling.   There's very little innovation in aggregating content.   Apple original content is going to have to be good. ....really good.
    Anything will be better than the tripe you watch on Netflix.
    How do you know what he watches on Netflix? 

Actually Netflix is a pretty decent service. 
    anantksundaramlkrupphmurchisondesignr
  • Reply 67 of 98

Couldn't agree more. Unlike PC makers, music companies, phone companies/carriers, and watch-makers, Netflix and Amazon -- the two firms that Apple will be competing against, with today's products/services -- are a slightly different breed of competitor. They're far more innovative, nimble, and willing to disrupt their own businesses.
    hmurchisongatorguydesignr
  • Reply 68 of 98
    AppleZulu said:

Honestly the Apple Credit Card was the most exciting announcement.  The rest of the stuff is stuff looks standard fare  B List Actors and Directors.  
    Can you please pass the drugs you're smoking? These were some of the most famous, most bankable directors and performers and producers.
    Do y'all even watch movies or do you just read about them.   The Force Awakens was TRASH.   That's that beauty of the fanbases of Trekkies and Star Wars fans.  You can deliver a dud and you'll still get the Mercy F*** from the fans.  It's the Franchises are bankable not these "insert a Director" B-Listers 

Directors - 

Chris Nolan 
    Dennis Villanueve 
    Quentin Tarantino 
    James Cameron 
    Martin Scorcese 
    Mel Gibson (Yes Mel "f*****ing Gibson) 
    Alfonso Cuaron  

Actors - 
    Cate Blanchet 
    Tom Hanks 
    Brad Pitt 
    Andre Braugher 
    Christopher Walken 
    Leo DiCaprio 
    Denzel Washington 
    Dame Judy Dench 
    Richard Harris 

Actors are easier.  A great Director and Cinematographer bring out the best but most of the aforementioned rarely give bad performances.    
    So your A-list/B-list designation is entirely based on your personal preferences. That's totally legit.
    As opposed to...? Is there some objective measure that I am missing?
    hmurchisondocno42
  • Reply 69 of 98
    From Canada: I thought it was kind of OK ( I don't watch cable TV and am really picky about quality/content and I'd like the idea of one place to get everything for a good price). Then Oprah showed up and they lost me.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    6502 said:
    HenryDJP said:
    6502 said:
    HenryDJP said:
    6502 said:
    Great, Oprah's involved. Now I know why the iPhone is so expensive, 30% goes to her. Nothing presented today is anything I'm remotely interested in. Yet another streaming service. I'll happily stick with my $80/mo Uverse+internet. I mostly watch youtube anyway. Apple has jumped the shark.
    I never understand these types of ridiculous posts. You knew it was going to be a show about streaming services today. If nothing about the show was of interest and you're happy with what you have then you didn't need to watch. 
    I didn't watch it, just read about it. I was hoping something new and exciting, instead we got a rehash of netflix. Netflix was new and revolutionary, this is a copy.
    That's exactly the point. Lately Netflix has been putting up trash Original content, yet they've raised their subscription fees 3 times in the past 24 months. We as consumers need more competition in this business or Netflix will end up getting away with this crap. I hope Netflix takes note on Apple's keynote today. The fact that Apple's Original content will feature known actors will seriously light a fire under Netflix. They need to either get better or lower their prices. 
    Netflix's competition is people not subscribing to Netflix anymore (I don't, never have). There is plenty of competition for our entertainment. It's doubtful subscription fees will be enough to pay these top list actors, therefore it will likely come from hardware revenue (mainly iPhone) and those prices will likely rise.
    Netflix’s competition is other streaming services like Amazon Prime. There is a shakeup with Netflix since Disney is pulling their content & starting Disney+.
    - Those who don’t like streaming services are not the market for Apple’s new streaming service. Economics 101. 
    If a person does not like a product category, then new additions to the category is not for that person. 
  • Reply 71 of 98
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

I subscribe to Netflix. Apple’s advantage here is that they have a lot more money than Netflix to give to content providers.
    Will Apple’s streaming service be successful? I don’t know the future. But it’s clear because of finances that Netflix is vulnerable right now.  
  • Reply 72 of 98
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

And even if they weren’t, that’s not even the point. Apple is an aspirational brand. Not just in the sense that people want to own it because it makes them look smart/hip/affluent, but also in the sense that Apple projects how they want to be perceived very intentionally. Most people aren’t hearing this and thinking “Spielberg! What a has-been!”; they’re thinking “oh crap the guy that did ET!!”.

I think Apple’s got a pretty good handle on what they’re doing here. Like someone else said in another thread - and I paraphrase - “Apple is good at slow-cooking things”. It might not be perfect at first but give it a few years and it will probably be hard to imagine life without it. If Apple is good at one thing, it’s laying super solid groundwork and building tracks into the future that the train will come down later. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 73 of 98
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    AppleZulu said:

Congratulations! You’ve spent more money than you should buying a solid six or seven weeks’ time worth of movies, most of which you’ll only watch once. I can certainly say you put your money... somewhere. Not sure how that makes your personal preferences any more authoritative than anyone else’s, though. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 74 of 98
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member

AppleZulu said:

Directors - 

Chris Nolan 
    Dennis Villanueve 
    Quentin Tarantino 
    James Cameron 
    Martin Scorcese 
    Mel Gibson (Yes Mel "f*****ing Gibson) 
    Alfonso Cuaron  

Actors - 
    Cate Blanchet 
    Tom Hanks 
    Brad Pitt 
    Andre Braugher 
    Christopher Walken 
    Leo DiCaprio 
    Denzel Washington 
    Dame Judy Dench 
    Richard Harris 

Actors are easier.  A great Director and Cinematographer bring out the best but most of the aforementioned rarely give bad performances.    
    As opposed to...? Is there some objective measure that I am missing?
    That’s actually my point. This chap’s asserting that the creative personnel featured at Apple’s event today are B-listers, but that his list are the A-listers, as though he has some special authority to make that determination. It’s just silly and vaguely obnoxious. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 98
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I can't believe they held the event without something more concrete to show for it. Pretty weak.
    robbyxlwio
  • Reply 76 of 98
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    It felt like "We've got Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, U2... they are all going to create cutting edge music you've never heard before.  The greatest artists of our time creating music especially for you!!!"  The truth is that most of these people on stage today are past their creative prime and are just cashing in on the deal.  
    Spot on.

Apple News+ seems like a nice service if you're into news.  I was actually quite impressed by Apple Card.  I think financial services is the sleeper segment for Apple.  Apple Arcade will no doubt appeal to some users.  It will succeed or fail based upon the catalog of games it offers.  I don't think any of the mainstream video game manufacturers or console makers have anything to worry about, though.

And then came the ego-drenched, narcissistic finalé featuring a who's who of Hollywood establishment figures.  It was boring.  It was awkward.  None of the creatives seemed comfortable on stage.  There were those awkward moments when Spielberg seemed to expect some applause that didn't come.  Reese and Jennifer seemed really awkward, especially Jennifer.  Maybe they were trying to channel their characters a bit (like Steve), but that side-hug Jennifer gave Reese was especially awkward.  Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard couldn't figure out if they wanted to put their arms behind each other or not.  Very awkward.

The Oprah segment really made me want to barf, and I genuinely like and respect Oprah, but wow, that was some absurd ego stroking.  Apple TV+ originals already feel stale and the service hasn't even launched yet.  The whole TV segment came across as out of touch.  There was nothing exciting, fresh, or interesting about the original content they teased.  I couldn't decide if the TV presentation was simply out of control ego or desperation.  Suddenly Apple is here to save storytelling!  There's never been a home for original content like Apple!  Creatives rejoice!  Barf.

That said, we still have no idea what Apple TV+ includes.  Is it just original content?  Will we get access to iTunes Store content as part of the service?  Will it include live TV?  Apple still might deliver a very compelling service.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    docno42 said:
    I can't believe they held the event without something more concrete to show for it. Pretty weak.
    The TV segment was all ego, no substance.
  • Reply 78 of 98

bb-15 said:

I subscribe to Netflix. Apple’s advantage here is that they have a lot more money than Netflix to give to content providers.
    Will Apple’s streaming service be successful? I don’t know the future. But it’s clear because of finances that Netflix is vulnerable right now.  
    What are you talking about?  How is Netflix vulnerable?  They are profitable and are going to spend $15B on content in 2019.  Apple's $1B in original content is a drop in the bucket.  Apple has a few dozen, at best, original shows in development.  Netflix has nearly 300.  Netflix is so far out ahead of Apple.  That doesn't mean that Apple can't deliver a compelling service, but get real.  The Netflix execs enjoyed some serious schadenfreude as they watched that atrocious TV segment today.  They're not worried.
    asdasd
  • Reply 79 of 98
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    @robbyx ;

"They're not worried."

And you know this because they told you this directly over coffee?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 80 of 98
    AppleZulu said:

I'd love to discuss films with you over a couple of beers!
    hmurchison