Apple Arcade will service Apple's one billion gamers on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    auxio said:
    Should be interesting to see how games which are designed for iPhone/iPad translate to the Mac/AppleTV, where you don't have a touchscreen.  Without additional developer effort to adapt the game controls for those platforms, the only way I see it working well is if you're also using your iPhone/iPad for control.  But if that's the case, why wouldn't you just play it on those devices directly?
    Some games cannot be translated between macOS / iOS. It is obvious that there will be different games on each platform but one subscription will encompass all.

Although the article says “The iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV are all supported by all of the games on the service, and offline play is available for all titles” that would reduce the inventory to a very small subset. I didn’t watch the Event, have to check if it is exactly presented as mentioned.
    That was my takeaway from what they presented: you could play a game on one device, stop, and continue on another device. So it would appear that any games on Apple Arcade would need to support all devices (likely with special help from Apple to make porting easy). I’m sure we’ll get to see the technical details of how this works at WWDC. My curiosity lies with how controls work across  the different devices.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    Apple is in a uniquely qualified position to do this well. 

The only  my problem is that the games suck. 

Fortnite is a waste. 

Mic Apple were to score games along the likes of the halo series, god of war series, destiny, mass effect, etc. I’d spring for it in a heartbeat and ditch the ps4. 

It the only way I can get an awesome story driven, well made game with amazing graphics, epic soundtrack, tight gameplay, and a grand scale are on console or pc. 

Apple shoukd actively court court developers - even offer a porting tool. 

If they think the mobile style games are going to do it, then it’s a sad day. Sure there will be profit. But the whole thing will be a gigantic missed opportunity. 
    firelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    So will games that are on Apple Arcade also be available for individual purchase on the app store? The moment games become exclusive to a subscription only service that will be the downfall of that service.

Also, title of this article is way off the mark. 1 billion Apple devices are in use world wide, but not all of them are used by gamers. All about seeing Apple succeed but let's not reduce things to hype!

Given that there are very nearly two billion devices in service, and Apple was the one who trotted out the one billion, I think we’re okay.
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 24 of 40
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    entropys said:
    One would hope there is a decent universal controller with a H1 chip or similar Ready to go when this service launches.
    airpod magic but most importantly, actually a good controller. The controller reimagined. As long as they keep Ive away from it.
    I wish they would just drop the MFi foolishness and just allow people to use the already excellent controllers that exist for Playstation and Xbox. I purchased a Steelseries Nimbus to use with my iPad, but not only was it an unnecessary expense, but it isn't nearly as good of a controller. I don't think the harm this is doing to their gaming aspirations is worth the licensing money they get from MFi.

But, in regard to this new service.... it will be all about the games. If they don't have good games, with good controller support, I don't see it doing that well. People aren't going to spend a ton of money for the kind of games mostly on iOS currently. And, the key to having better games is all about the controller. They have a sort of (self-created) chicken and egg problem here, IMO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 40
    This is the one thing I'm really looking forward to, given that News+ is pretty much not going to launch anywhere in the near future here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 40
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    The games don’t look very compelling...  Maybe for kids...?

I’m a fan of Diablo style games, which are pretty much non existent on iOS.

If I can’t have that, I play chess...
    Serious question:  isn't Fortnight a "Diablo-style" game?  Run around and shoot things with beautiful graphics.
    No it’s not 

neither in style, game mechanics, rhythm and community. And also how the game is sold and it’s economy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    An interesting venue to debut Beyond a Steel Sky; that was a surprise.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 40
    cgWerks said: I wish they would just drop the MFi foolishness and just allow people to use the already excellent controllers that exist for Playstation and Xbox. I purchased a Steelseries Nimbus to use with my iPad, but not only was it an unnecessary expense, but it isn't nearly as good of a controller. I don't think the harm this is doing to their gaming aspirations is worth the licensing money they get from MFi.
    That hasn't been my experience with the Nimbus. I think it's easily on par with the PS4 controller in terms of feel and doesn't have the problem with the material used for the tops of the dual analog sticks degrading over time. Battery life has definitely been better than the PS4 controllers too. They may need to update the MFi standard to include the analog stick clicking at some point in the future, but that's really the only shortcoming IMO.   
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    shahhet2 said:
    DAalseth said:
    This I might ne interested in, depending on the price of course. I'm already paying ~$7-$10/mo for games. A flat fee min that range plus the ability to move the game from my iPad to my Mac would be great.
    If someone is already paying $5-$10/mo for games on Apple Pay, it may make sense for them.
    For people, who are using free games only, will not goto subscription model anyway.
    They are also not getting XBox/PS to this one.
    My fear is that it might be $20-$25/mo which would be a deal breaker for me.
    Seems unlikely to me they’d charge more than $10-$15/mo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 40
    foregoneconclusion said:
    That hasn't been my experience with the Nimbus. I think it's easily on par with the PS4 controller in terms of feel and doesn't have the problem with the material used for the tops of the dual analog sticks degrading over time. Battery life has definitely been better than the PS4 controllers too. They may need to update the MFi standard to include the analog stick clicking at some point in the future, but that's really the only shortcoming IMO.   
    I suppose it is somewhat subjective. I hope I didn't give the impression it is bad. The Nimbus is clearly well built, but it doesn't have the trigger/button feel of the DS4. Also, it obviously is missing some features like the audio port, stick-click, track-pad, etc. (as you mention). I don't think it fits in the hand as well either (ie: ergonomic design).

I'm glad it exists, given it's the only option. But, I'd much rather just use one of my DS4 controllers. The other advantage of that, is if you do much PS gaming, then you're already comfortable with it, even if it were a 1:1 in terms of features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Fortnite is a waste. 

Mic Apple were to score games along the likes of the halo series, god of war series, destiny, mass effect, etc. I’d spring for it in a heartbeat and ditch the ps4. 

It the only way I can get an awesome story driven, well made game with amazing graphics, epic soundtrack, tight gameplay, and a grand scale are on console or pc. 

If they think the mobile style games are going to do it, then it’s a sad day. Sure there will be profit. But the whole thing will be a gigantic missed opportunity. 
    How is Fortnite, a free game, a "waste"? Maybe you don't like it, but uh, it's just slightly successful.

Yes, AAA console titles on your iPhone would be cool... but you're maybe not considering the fact that those devices aren't there yet as far as matching the consoles' quality, and the controller issue is still problematic, not to mention — maybe most importantly here — that many of those games are like 30-60GB! So you're really talking about the Mac here, in which case that's a small subset of the gaming market they're addressing. We'll have to see who in that realm jumps on board, but I have a feeling AAA properties aren't likely to be a part of it.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This is hot, wet garbage. I’ll stick with the painstakingly-crafted $30 indie titles on my Nintendo Switch thanks.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    fastasleep said:
    Yes, AAA console titles on your iPhone would be cool... but you're maybe not considering the fact that those devices aren't there yet as far as matching the consoles' quality, and the controller issue is still problematic, not to mention — maybe most importantly here — that many of those games are like 30-60GB! So you're really talking about the Mac here, in which case that's a small subset of the gaming market they're addressing. We'll have to see who in that realm jumps on board, but I have a feeling AAA properties aren't likely to be a part of it.
    Well said. While I'm sure there is some efficiency stuff going on with Apple's chips (over the chips in a PS4 or a PC), when we're talking a device that uses what... maybe a watt? compared to a device that uses 150 watts, I don't think the gap (power consumption) would be that big by any stretch. A PS4, Xbox, or gaming PC has a lot more CPU/GPU power than a phone. Good point on the storage too, I hadn't thought about that.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    dunks said:
    This is hot, wet garbage. I’ll stick with the painstakingly-crafted $30 indie titles on my Nintendo Switch thanks.
    I probably wouldn't have used quite those adjectives, but my sentiments are similar.  I am skeptical that high quality games of the type I like to play are going to be more than rare on this service.  I think it likely that it will attract the type of games for which people wouldn't even pay a dollar.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Fortnite is a waste. 

How is Fortnite, a free game, a "waste"? Maybe you don't like it, but uh, it's just slightly successful.

Stadia and AAA properties is possibility, some console-level games already announced for the platform AAMOF, and solves the storage and controller issues too. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 36 of 40
    dunks said:
    I probably wouldn't have used quite those adjectives, but my sentiments are similar.  I am skeptical that high quality games of the type I like to play are going to be more than rare on this service.  I think it likely that it will attract the type of games for which people wouldn't even pay a dollar.
    Dunno about that, the examples they’re already showing are most definitely paid titles that’d sell well on their own. 
  • Reply 37 of 40

gatorguy said:

Fortnite is a waste. 

Stadia and AAA properties is possibility, some console-level games already announced for the platform AAMOF, and solves the storage and controller issues too. 
    And is Stadia coming to iOS?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

gatorguy said:

Fortnite is a waste. 

And is Stadia coming to iOS?
    Yes.

If a device can access either YouTube or Chrome it's compatible. 
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-arcade-vs-google-stadia,news-29732.html

Stadia and Arcade are two almost entirely different approaches to gaming and it's not an unreasonable expectation some users will want both. They don't look as tho they really compete with each other in most ways even if both involve "games".  
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 39 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    Stadia and Arcade are two almost entirely different approaches to gaming and it's not an unreasonable expectation some users will want both. They don't look as tho they really compete with each other in most ways even if both involve "games".  
    Yea, though I get how Apple's system will work. I'm just wondering if they will have any games I'd be interested in. On the other hand, Stadia probably would have the games, I just don't see how it would technically work. Won't lag be a huge issue, even on the best internet available in most areas?