Apple announces Apple TV+ service with Apple's unique programming, coming this Fall

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Oprah?  LOL.    Apple TV+ sounds like it's going to be trash. 

Honestly the Apple Credit Card was the most exciting announcement.  The rest of the stuff is stuff looks standard fare  B List Actors and Directors.  
    Probably just save my money and watch it grow in the Apple Wallet app.  
    Spielberg is B List? Abrams? Howard? Hahaha okay, wow. Nobody is forcing you to watch Oprah’s documentaries, but get real. 
    Abrams couldn't  resurrect the Star Trek franchise even after cheating with an alternate timeline.  He's B-List Director and that's being kind.   Spielberg has been primarily doing Executive Production duties he's not Directed a lot projects lately.  I have faith in him but we'll see.   There were no Chris Nolan's up on stage.  Shamaylan is another B-List Director.  With the talent Apple brought up there's no way they can claim they have the best talent.  Witherspoon and Oprah's last movie bombed. 
    Spielberg is as productive as ever as a director.  He has directed a movie each of the last 4 years, two of the 4 were nominated for best picture,  the movie he directed last year grossed $582 million (#12 for the year).
    fastasleep
  • Reply 82 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:

Oprah?  LOL.    Apple TV+ sounds like it's going to be trash. 

Honestly the Apple Credit Card was the most exciting announcement.  The rest of the stuff is stuff looks standard fare  B List Actors and Directors.  
    Probably just save my money and watch it grow in the Apple Wallet app.  
    Can you please pass the drugs you're smoking? These were some of the most famous, most bankable directors and performers and producers.
    Do y'all even watch movies or do you just read about them.   The Force Awakens was TRASH.   That's that beauty of the fanbases of Trekkies and Star Wars fans.  You can deliver a dud and you'll still get the Mercy F*** from the fans.  It's the Franchises are bankable not these "insert a Director" B-Listers 
    Please provide your A list directors and actors for our reference.

So your A-list/B-list designation is entirely based on your personal preferences. That's totally legit.
    I own 600+ HD movies so I guess you can say I put my money...where my mouth is.  
    Congratulations! You’ve spent more money than you should buying a solid six or seven weeks’ time worth of movies, most of which you’ll only watch once. I can certainly say you put your money... somewhere. Not sure how that makes your personal preferences any more authoritative than anyone else’s, though. 
    There's never been a cheaper time for movies. I've purchased so many $4.99 movies and converted older DVD titles using Vudu's Disc to Digital.  One of the advantages of having a decent sized library is that I don't need to subscribe to a lot of services.  Authoritative isn't the word that I'd use.  I'm just as keen on hearing what Directors or Actors other people think are world class.  It only benefits me in the end.  Cheers 
  • Reply 83 of 98
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    @robbyx ;

"They're not worried."

And you know this because they told you this directly over coffee?
    Maybe they did?  It's not like any of us have any idea who's on the other side of the screen here.

But seriously, that Apple TV+ presentation was just downright awful.  So egotistical.  So narcissistic.  So awkward.  I've been an Apple customer for over 35 years and I've never been more turned off by an Apple presentation than by that one.  The endless prattling on about creativity and storytelling was just gross.  It's so nice that after 100 years, Hollywood finally has Apple to show them how to tell good stories and create a positive environment for creatives.  How narcissistic.  It was just gross.

And then the actors didn't seem remotely happy to be there.  There was no genuine enthusiasm during their awkward pitches.  The only halfway decent presentation was the Sesame Street characters.  They at least didn't flub their lines and pause at all the wrong times.  Actors pitching their upcoming shows just felt weird.  It didn't land well.  And the over the top Oprah reveal was just too much.

Nothing about that presentation felt exciting or compelling.  It felt old and dated, safe, middle of the road, dull.  So yeah, I don't think the execs at Netflix, or HBO or Amazon, are particularly worried.  But, like I said, we still don't know what the Apple TV+ service includes.  We just got a tease of the original content offerings.  Maybe that's the extent of it.  I suspect there's more to it and that the original content component is one part of a much bigger vision.

lwio
  • Reply 84 of 98
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Some people will get some things from this but I hope I’m not typical in that I’m not interested in magazines, the credit card, meh, the arcade nice idea but no thanks and the Apple TV+ looks like it’s going to be expensive. 
    I have Apple Music and if it wasn’t for the kids on family sharing I would cancel, I just don’t use it enough. 
    Don’t get me wrong there’s plenty here for some but just not me. As I said I hope I’m not typical. 
  • Reply 85 of 98
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Does Apple even know how to launch a finished product these says?

For ATV+ the best introduction would be 10 trailers, instead we got some bla bla bla. 

They should have just bought Netflix! 

• Reply 86 of 98
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member

\n\n\n
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 87 of 98
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    tyler82 said:

\n\n\n
    Haha so true. This guy needs to be shown the doors out or get back to the job position he is good at ...
  • Reply 88 of 98
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This was definitely the weakest spot in the event, the flow of the presentation was off and jittery, they didn't have all that much to show, and it was falling over with all the fawning over its own creative brilliance.  Maybe it'll be good, but that wasn't the kind of start they wanted.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    robbyx said:
    @robbyx ;

"They're not worried."

Maybe they did?  It's not like any of us have any idea who's on the other side of the screen here.

But seriously, that Apple TV+ presentation was just downright awful.  So egotistical.  So narcissistic.  So awkward.  I've been an Apple customer for over 35 years and I've never been more turned off by an Apple presentation than by that one.  The endless prattling on about creativity and storytelling was just gross.  It's so nice that after 100 years, Hollywood finally has Apple to show them how to tell good stories and create a positive environment for creatives.  How narcissistic.  It was just gross.

And then the actors didn't seem remotely happy to be there.  There was no genuine enthusiasm during their awkward pitches.  The only halfway decent presentation was the Sesame Street characters.  They at least didn't flub their lines and pause at all the wrong times.  Actors pitching their upcoming shows just felt weird.  It didn't land well.  And the over the top Oprah reveal was just too much.

Nothing about that presentation felt exciting or compelling.  It felt old and dated, safe, middle of the road, dull.  So yeah, I don't think the execs at Netflix, or HBO or Amazon, are particularly worried.  But, like I said, we still don't know what the Apple TV+ service includes.  We just got a tease of the original content offerings.  Maybe that's the extent of it.  I suspect there's more to it and that the original content component is one part of a much bigger vision.

"Maybe that's the extent of it.  I suspect there's more to it and that the original content component is one part of a much bigger vision."

Look at Apple TV+ as just another channel that showcases Apple's in-house produced content.

• Reply 90 of 98
    jume said:

For ATV+ the best introduction would be 10 trailers, instead we got some bla bla bla. 

I don't know. Do you even know how to spell properly these days? lol
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 91 of 98
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    jume said:

It took six months after Steve Jobs announced the iPhone for it to actually be released, and a year or two after that for the feature set on iPhone to really represent a ‘finished product.’ Mr. Jobs’ famous reality distortion field specifically described his gall to go out on stage and announce something held together with spit and duct tape and have everyone believe it was a ‘finished product.’
  • Reply 92 of 98
    robbyx said:
    @robbyx ;

"They're not worried."

"Maybe that's the extent of it.  I suspect there's more to it and that the original content component is one part of a much bigger vision."

Look at Apple TV+ as just another channel that showcases Apple's in-house produced content.
    Well, if that's all it is, I don't get it.  One of the smartest decisions Jobs made was to NOT become a record label.  Apple producing its own content for content's sake makes absolutely no sense.  TV and movies are so far outside of their core competencies.  It all just reeks of ego.  Maybe you're right.  That TV presentation was long on ego and short on everything else.  I sure hope the original content is just a sweetener and that they have something bigger and better in mind for Apple TV+.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    robbyx said:

That said, we still have no idea what Apple TV+ includes.  Is it just original content?  Will we get access to iTunes Store content as part of the service?  Will it include live TV?  Apple still might deliver a very compelling service.
    I was wondering about that. Kinda like Prime, where your subscription includes all their original programming but also a rotating assortment of other content that previously (and may go back to) rental/purchase only. That'd definitely be a value add. As it is, I'm not sure how a subscription is going to be worth it for only their original content alone, there's simply not enough of it. I don't think any subscription services do that?
  • Reply 94 of 98
    robbyx said:

That said, we still have no idea what Apple TV+ includes.  Is it just original content?  Will we get access to iTunes Store content as part of the service?  Will it include live TV?  Apple still might deliver a very compelling service.
    I was wondering about that. Kinda like Prime, where your subscription includes all their original programming but also a rotating assortment of other content that previously (and may go back to) rental/purchase only. That'd definitely be a value add. As it is, I'm not sure how a subscription is going to be worth it for only their original content alone, there's simply not enough of it. I don't think any subscription services do that?
    Only diehard fanboys are going to pay for Apple original content and nothing else.  As you said, no other streaming service is just original content.  Netflix has a library of third party content.  So does Amazon.  So does HBO.  Etc.  Furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense for Apple to get into original content for content's sake.  What's the point?  Ego?  No, there has to be more to the Apple TV+ service than just original programming.  Personally I'd like to see them offer access to iTunes TV shows and movies.  Perhaps there's a cap on the number of episodes one can watch each month, or how many times one can watch each episode.  I'd like to see a few movie rentals bundled with the service, ie: subscribers get 6 unrestricted movie rentals each month.  I really hope Apple finds a way to deliver iTunes Store content, commercial-free, as part of the service.  I'd drop Hulu in a second if that happened.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:

Only diehard fanboys are going to pay for Apple original content and nothing else.  As you said, no other streaming service is just original content.  Netflix has a library of third party content.  So does Amazon.  So does HBO.  Etc.  Furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense for Apple to get into original content for content's sake.  What's the point?  Ego?  No, there has to be more to the Apple TV+ service than just original programming.  Personally I'd like to see them offer access to iTunes TV shows and movies.  Perhaps there's a cap on the number of episodes one can watch each month, or how many times one can watch each episode.  I'd like to see a few movie rentals bundled with the service, ie: subscribers get 6 unrestricted movie rentals each month.  I really hope Apple finds a way to deliver iTunes Store content, commercial-free, as part of the service.  I'd drop Hulu in a second if that happened.
    That's what I'm saying, there's got to be other content than just theirs in any paid subscription service. Their content is a value add, and any killer shows will be a direct draw, but not for ongoing subscriptions. I guess we'll find out this fall.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member

6502 said:
    Apple today came out with solutions looking for problems. Nothing was new, groundbreaking or didn't already exist. Yawn.
    The Apple Card is new and doesn't exist. 

As for entertainment services, what do you expect? Holographic projectors in your living room? Good grief, get real. They just increased their services revenue potential. What's to be pissy about?
    People are pissed because the sentiment is that Apple is neglecting their core market of hardware in favor of content services
    And please tell us how Apple is neglecting their "core market" of hardware?
  • Reply 96 of 98
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member

6502 said:
    Apple today came out with solutions looking for problems. Nothing was new, groundbreaking or didn't already exist. Yawn.
    The Apple Card is new and doesn't exist. 

As for entertainment services, what do you expect? Holographic projectors in your living room? Good grief, get real. They just increased their services revenue potential. What's to be pissy about?
    People are pissed because the sentiment is that Apple is neglecting their core market of hardware in favor of content services
    And please tell us how Apple is neglecting their "core market" of hardware?