Apple Watch ECG app could arrive in Europe with watchOS 5.2

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2019
Documentation in Apple's latest iOS 12.2 release hints at potential European availability of the ECG app for Apple Watch Series 4 users, enabling a major hardware feature that for many has been sitting latent for six months.

A document covering ECG "Instructions for Use," buried deep within the Health app in today's iOS 12.2 release, sheds light on Apple's potential plans.

In the text, found by navigating to Health > Health Data > Heart > Electrocardiogram (ECG) > About > Instructions for Use, a section on app set-up and on-boarding notes "[t]he ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.2, paired with iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12.2 or later" in non-U.S. regions, suggesting the function will soon be made available to countries outside America. In the U.S., "The ECG app is available on Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2 or later, paired with iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12.1.1 or later," the document reads.

The addition is thought to be a recent change, as Apple is currently in the process of beta testing watchOS 5.2.

The document also includes a new CE marking to indicate compliance with European Economic Area (EEA) regulations. The EEA extends European Union consumer market rules to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, suggesting those regions might soon see ECG support.

Apple unveiled the ECG app alongside Apple Watch Series 4 last September, touting clearance it received for the feature from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

It took the company three months to roll out ECG to Apple Watch owners in the U.S. Following its release, users have credited the ECG function as a life-saving technology, lauding its ability to detect signs of atrial fibrillation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    Nice. This would make me switch my Series 2 for Series 4. Or a Series 5 later this year? :smile: 
    darren mccoywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    I hope so! This will make me get the 4 instead if the 3.  It’s a strange world where they prevent us from using something just because it hasn’t been approved by the authorities. I remember when a simple disclaimer was enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Apple will have to remame it to be able to get EU approval.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    fred1 said:
    I hope so! This will make me get the 4 instead if the 3.  It’s a strange world where they prevent us from using something just because it hasn’t been approved by the authorities. I remember when a simple disclaimer was enough.
    The technocrats running big nanny government say no. 

Bow low to your betters!
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I bought the Apple Watch 4 several months ago, only to find out that Apple is holding back on the (promised) ECG functionality, in particular in Europe.
    Isn't there a way around regulations to offer this app when announced?
    E.g., by including a notice that, pending approval by local health authorities, the ECG results are only informative and/or educational.

I am sick and tired of seeing that features announced by Apple remain unavailable for months, even years.
    Such delays abount to too large a fraction of the useful life of the Apple devices that its faithful early adopters buy (and are a major component of Apple's income).

• Reply 6 of 24
    Relax. We're just Beta-testing it for ya. So nothing should go wrong when you get it. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    I wonder, when Apple will release WatchOS 5.2 to the Public (?)

along with the other Updates still outstanding,

like Pages, Numbers, KeyNote, 
    Classroom 3.0 for iPad
    Classroom 2.0 for Mac
    ShortCuts 2.2

since
    Apple Configurator 2.9 

macOS Server 5.8
    were released last night.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I bought the Apple Watch 4 several months ago, only to find out that Apple is holding back on the (promised) ECG functionality, in particular in Europe.
    E.g., by including a notice that, pending approval by local health authorities, the ECG results are only informative and/or educational.

I am sick and tired of seeing that features announced by Apple remain unavailable for months, even years.
    Such delays abount to too large a fraction of the useful life of the Apple devices that its faithful early adopters buy (and are a major component of Apple's income).

Apple isn't "holding anything back". Do you really think that if there was a way for Apple to offer the feature, they would hold it back. C'mon. Complain to your local authorities.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24

Blame your local authorities, not Apple.

You might have gotten that functionality had you traveled to the US, bought and activated your watch, and then returned to your home.  I don't know if that would actually work, but it might have.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Naw it can't come out for Europe. When ECG was announced/launched here Apple said they would be bringing it out for other countries.
    BUT all the "Experts" stated it would take years for it to be approved in Europe. 
    So ergo it's not going to be available. Unless Apple invented a time travel device and went into the future and got it approved.
    Or maybe the "Experts" are just all wrong again. As usual. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member

You might have gotten that functionality had you traveled to the US, bought and activated your watch, and then returned to your home.  I don't know if that would actually work, but it might have.
    It would work however there is an issue, the e-sim won’t work in Europe and the rest of the world as it uses a different MHz band to North America so you’d be trading one feature for another. I only know this because I was doing to so this exact thing myself. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    wattouk said:

It would work however there is an issue, the e-sim won’t work in Europe and the rest of the world as it uses a different MHz band to North America so you’d be trading one feature for another. I only know this because I was doing to so this exact thing myself. 
    The ECG features won’t work outside the US and territories no matter where you buy it or have your iTunes account. It’s geofenced not to work overseas. Or so I was told by Apple tech support.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    wattouk said:

The ECG features won’t work outside the US and territories no matter where you buy it or have your iTunes account. It’s geofenced not to work overseas. Or so I was told by Apple tech support.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    fred1 said:
    That's interesting. If that's true, it won't even work for Americans who are taking a vacation in Canada. Wow, the moment an American steps across the border it stops working? How accurate are these geofences? I would love to test its accuracy. I have been thinking about moving to Windsor, Canada, which is just a few hundred feet from Detroit, USA. Has anyone in Windsor bought an Apple Watch 4 in Detroit?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    entropys said:
    fred1 said:

Bow low to your betters!
    Oh, do let us know how the unregulated health care market is going for you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    fred1 said:
    That's interesting. If that's true, it won't even work for Americans who are taking a vacation in Canada. Wow, the moment an American steps across the border it stops working? How accurate are these geofences? I would love to test its accuracy. I have been thinking about moving to Windsor, Canada, which is just a few hundred feet from Detroit, USA. Has anyone in Windsor bought an Apple Watch 4 in Detroit?
    It checks your location during the setup of the ECG app, using the SIM card of your iPhone:
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/11/ios-12-2-nasty-surprise-for-ecg-users/
  • Reply 17 of 24
    spheric said:
    entropys said:
    fred1 said:

Bow low to your betters!
    Uh, you do realize that there’s a difference between regulating and restricting access, right? What’s happening with the Apple Watch is like telling someone that he or she can take a prescription medicine while on US soil, but not in a foreign country. 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    fred1 said:
    spheric said:
    entropys said:
    fred1 said:

Bow low to your betters!
    Uh, you do realize that there’s a difference between regulating and restricting access, right? What’s happening with the Apple Watch is like telling someone that he or she can take a prescription medicine while on US soil, but not in a foreign country. 
    Not an unreasonable argument, and yes, that's the way it works. Try to bring some medicines through the customs. Or "medical marijuana"...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    fred1 said:
    wattouk said:

Interesting, I know this wasn’t the case before 12.2 as you only had to be in the US in the set up. Never mind - I’m waiting patiently anyhow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    viamesviames Posts: 3member
    I think that all Apple items are worth less out of the United States due to the often missing features for several years. For this reason the price should also reflect the lowest value. At the moment, Apple products out of the United States cost more and deserve to be beaten by Android e co.