Random Apple News+ crash issue fixed by Apple [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
Less than a day after launch, and following a wide rollout of iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4, some Apple News users and Apple News+ subscribers were seeing some crashes at launch on Tuesday morning, which now appears to have been fixed server-side.

Discussions of crashing within seconds of content display on the Apple News app started circulating on social media early Tuesday morning, with one AppleInsider staffer seeing the problem on one device -- but not all of them. The app launches on either macOS or iOS, may briefly display content, then crashes back to the screen that the app was opened.

The new @Apple News app comes in with a bang and goes out with a Bang on their XS Max. #crash pic.twitter.com/6ZS4zYqMR4

-- Johan van Mierlo (@JohanvanMierlo)

Many users reporting problems on Tuesday morning had previously used social media to comment that the service was working perfectly after launch.

There does not appear to be any commonality between devices that manifest the crash, it wasn't limited to devices that ran an iOS 12.2 or macOS beta, nor is it iCloud account-wide. At present, a fresh install of iOS 12.2 or macOS 10.14.4 doesn't seem to fix the problem for all users either.

Brief testing on our affected device has demonstrated that a device hard reboot has some impact on the app -- but isn't a guaranteed long-term fix. After one reboot, the app stayed open for about 8 seconds, before crash. Following a second reboot, the app appears to be still functioning.

Update 10:26 a.m. eastern time: Apple has rolled out fixes across the board, and the app on both iOS and macOS appears to be functioning again as intended. No commentary regarding the cause of the issues has been made by the company.

Apple News+, previously rumored to be called "Apple News Magazines", costs $9.99 per month in the US ($12.99 in Canada) and ships with the entire catalog that it has been hosting after the Texture purchase. In a similar way to how it introduces Apple Music, Apple is offering a free trial of Apple News+ for one month.

Notable magazines available at launch include The Atlantic, Better Homes & Gardens, Conde Nast Traveller, Esquire and Vanity Fair. Alongside print magazines and newspapers, the service will also contain online-only titles such as theSkimm, New York Magazine's Vulture, and The Highlight by Vox.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the "Its show time" event on Monday that over 5 billion stories have been read on Apple News, making it the number one news app ever created.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Yep. Crashing on my iPhone XS Max, restarted, reinstalled. No go. Works on my 9.7 iPad Pro 
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Hard restart your phone working fine for me after that
  • Reply 3 of 32
    wiwaflwiwafl Posts: 1member
    Crashes on iPad Pro and iPhone 8 Plus :-((
  • Reply 4 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yup, crashing on my iPad. I didn’t update my phone yet, so I’m doing that now. Funny, whenever I read about these update problems, I’m surprised that it very rarely affects me. But this one is.

cant seem to do a hard off on my iPad, for some reason. It’s so rare that I’ve had to do that with the new iPad Pro 12.9”. I press the button and Siri comes on. Has something changed?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 5 of 32
    jsh56jsh56 Posts: 12member
    Crashing on BOTH iPhone and Macbook Pro.

• Reply 6 of 32
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Restarting my XS Max has no impact. Still crashing after a few seconds. 
  • Reply 7 of 32
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    melgross said:
    I press the button and Siri comes on. Has something changed?
    You're pressing two buttons, right? Not just the Home button? I've older tech but doesn't the iPP have a Sleep/Wake button?

I don't know if shutting down from inside the Settings menu is the same thing.

• Reply 8 of 32
    PS. Hard reset (press volume up, volume down, hold side button till Apple logo) has no impact on my XS Max. Apple’s gonna have to fix it. Hopefully soon. Love the app on my iPad so far.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I still can't subscribe (US Based).  It goes through the subscription purchase dialog and says "Done" then returns me to the same "Try It Free".  Endless loop.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    Same here...  hard reset had no effect :(
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Jay7Jay7 Posts: 12member
    Subscribed to Apple News+ yesterday. Opened the new Apple News on my iPad Pro this morning and briefly got a notice saying my Apple News+ subscription had expired, and then it crashed. Since then it has been crashing a couple seconds after launch every time, even after re-booting the iPad Pro. Same story on my iPhone X.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    melgross said:
    Yup, crashing on my iPad. I didn’t update my phone yet, so I’m doing that now. Funny, whenever I read about these update problems, I’m surprised that it very rarely affects me. But this one is.

cant seem to do a hard off on my iPad, for some reason. It’s so rare that I’ve had to do that with the new iPad Pro 12.9”. I press the button and Siri comes on. Has something changed?
    Volume up, then volume down, not at same time. Awkward but that’s the deal.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    likely a v. complex app plus the first day of release, I'm sure they'll fix it quickly
  • Reply 14 of 32
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    melgross said:

It’s actually easier than the volume up, volume down, then power. Just press and hold power and volume up at the same time, the power off option will display after a few seconds.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    macgui said:
    melgross said:
    I press the button and Siri comes on. Has something changed?
    You're pressing two buttons, right? Not just the Home button? I've older tech but doesn't the iPP have a Sleep/Wake button?

I don't know if shutting down from inside the Settings menu is the same thing.

Yeah, press all buttons at once, and hold.

well, now my phone is updated too, and News crashes there, even after a hard reset. By the way it’s working on my iPad now, without the hard reset. I got a typical notification. Went to the app and it’s ok. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 16 of 32
    “News+” is crashing at launch on a 2018 11” iPad Pro, but NOT crashing on an iPhone 8. 
    It’s also crashing on my 15” MacBook Pro with TouchBar.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Ok, now it works on the iPhone, for no apparent reason.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    In other news, some iPhone users dropped their phone and the screen broke. 
  • Reply 19 of 32
    the problem has to do with old news in Today tab before update. You may need to try this a few times to work without crashing. Open News app and quickly click on News+ tab. Once you can successfully do this you can go back to the Today tab and subsequent opens of the app will be OK
    netmage
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Jay7Jay7 Posts: 12member
    Apple News+ now suddenly works on my iPhone X, but is still crashing on my iPad Pro.
    Just give it some time, I guess...