The Apple Music app has been installed on 40 million Android devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Though extremely Apple-centric, Apple Music has been installed by over 40 million Android users worldwide, new research estimates suggest.

Apple Music on Android

Most of those installations were in the U.S., about 28 percent, analytics firm SensorTower said on Tuesday. India was a distant second at 7 percent, followed by Great Britain, Brazil, and Russia and 6, 5, and 4 percent respectively.

Although quarterly installs declined from 3.3 million in the Sept. 2017 quarter to 2.3 million by the June 2018 quarter, they have since been on the rebound, climbing back to 3.3 million in the Dec. 2019 period. Current forecasts for the March quarter call for an all-time high of 3.8 million.

Apple Music Android installs

Installs are not the same as subscriptions. By default the app offers a free three-month trial, and it's possible or even likely that many Android phone and tablet owners are simply canceling before they can be billed.

In late January Apple said that it had surpassed 50 million subscribers. Given that Apple Music is best on first-party devices, which have the service natively installed and integrated with Siri, it's probable that most of those subscribers have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

Apple has also been accused of being relatively slow to bring Apple Music updates to Android. It did however bring its streamlined Browse tab to Android on Monday, just a week after a similar iOS update was pushed. The service now also has native Chromebook support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    And how many of those have used it more than once? twice? tossed it aside after one week?
    Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I’d be interested to know how many of those installs are for someone who specifically wanted to sign up for Apple Music and how many are in households where there was a family plan to Apple Music but some people had Android devices. I know a few mixed device households where the latter situation would be entirely possible.
    Roger_Fingasbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And how many of those have used it more than once? twice? tossed it aside after one week?
    I used it for a few weeks, tho not every time I played music. I'm no longer using it but not because it's a subpar service, it isn't. 

To be fair the recommendations weren't as good for me as with a couple of other services, Tidal being a bit better than Google Music IMHO.  I also very much like the one-click ease of the "thumbs up" playlist and the one-click link from "what's this song" to playing it on Google Play Music.

Native apps and/or apps using default platform services generally have the advantage. It's like running certain Google services on iOS where Apple requires they use Siri or Safari for background support. By design they can't perform as cleanly and directly as Apple's own services. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I can see Apple is getting more revenue from subscription services. In a few years, I see TV+, News+ on Android.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I can see Apple is getting more revenue from subscription services. In a few years, I see TV+, News+ on Android.
    With just 1/4th of these signing up it’s a billion dollars a year. How crazy is it that in a world where there are people who don’t have a dollar to their name, but a company bringing in a billion dollars from an offshoot of a service they are not even the leader of the market might be considered a failure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Amazon Music gets the job.  I pick a station, then give songs “likes”.  It does a pretty good job playing similar stuff I enjoy...

I have no interesting in whatever is trending currently in the music world, so a “no ads” and “no additional cost” service fits perfectly...

It was interesting that Apple Music is getting attention on Android, but between giving the free trials, and sharing the service between family members, it’s not a surprise.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    What impresses me are the BRIC stats, showing No. 2 India potential traction in something Apple related. (BTW, English language mags ala Apple News+ great potential, great deal for family plan. Rival Readly App leading greatly though in non-US magazines. )
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The new Verizon promotion (free select unlimited plans) will help get Apple Music out there to those that wouldn't buy otherwise Apple and Android users. The $4.99 student discount is a great deal too.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Folio said:
    What impresses me are the BRIC stats, showing No. 2 India potential traction in something Apple related. (BTW, English language mags ala Apple News+ great potential, great deal for family plan. Rival Readly App leading greatly though in non-US magazines. )
    When it comes to Apple devices sales, India is a barren wasteland.  Apple has barely made a dent in that market
  • Reply 10 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Folio said:
    When it comes to Apple devices sales, India is a barren wasteland.  Apple has barely made a dent in that market
    That makes India a place of great potential. In the field of physics items have combinations of potential and kinetic energies. Apple hardware has great kinetic energy in the US (high sales) but less potential energy (future growth) whereas in India Apple is almost entirely potential energy. It's still energy, just in a different form.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Always with the “yeah, but”. You just can’t entertain the idea that Android users might be using Apple Music, can you? Your anti-Apple biased brain won't allow you to think otherwise. What, no self-respecting Android user would choose to use an Apple service? Is that what you are implying? Other services are so superior to Apple Music it’s just not possible for this to be true? 
    watto_cobra