Review: Apple's new AirPods are a first-class update to an already superb product

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    So, am I the only one who can't keep them in his ears? I find them uncomfortable and I was disappointed that the new version apparently has the same shape.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

It feels wrong, just very wrong, to replace a $159 pair of headphones after at most two and a half years. 
    Clearly no runners in the office. Runnings shoes used frequently need replacement 3-6 months, and are $110-170. Strangely we don't here runners complaining about it, and shoes aren't even recyclable with the vendor.
    n2itivguyentropysGeorgeBMacbshankpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    HeliBum said:
    So, am I the only one who can't keep them in his ears? I find them uncomfortable and I was disappointed that the new version apparently has the same shape.
    There's definitely a bell curve on fit. Seems like 5% of folks (including my besty) have larger ear canals and they fall out, and another 5% (including my girlfriend) where they "pop" out.

I'm hoping that the Beats line eventually includes some “pods” that are based on those spongey cup things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

It feels wrong, just very wrong, to replace a $159 pair of headphones after at most two and a half years. 
    Clearly no runners in the office. Runnings shoes used frequently need replacement 3-6 months, and are $110-170. Strangely we don't here runners complaining about it, and shoes aren't even recyclable with the vendor.
    Shoes are designed to ablate on the road. AirPods and headphones are not. Different use paradigm.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingambshankchemenginrandominternetpersonMplsPwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 73

https://investinganswers.com/financial-dictionary/economics/durable-goods-2323

Durable goods are a category of consumer products that do not need to be purchased frequently because they are made to last for a long time (usually lasting for three years or more). They are also called consumer durables or durables.

Consumer goods are many times separated into two categories: durables and non-durables. Durables have an extended product life and are not typically worn out or consumed quickly when you use them. Since they're made to last, durable goods are often times more expensive than non-durable goods that have to be purchased repeatedly over a short period of time.

A washing machine is an example of a durable good -- it takes many years and a number uses to completely expend its functionality. The laundry detergent used in the washing machine, on the other hand, is a non-durable good -- when the bottle is empty, the detergent must be repurchased.

Other examples of durable goods include automobiles, appliances, furniture, jewelry, consumer electronics and sporting goods.

So yeah, most people expect a $150 device to work well for at least 3-5 years.  Or to put it another way, I'm sure you'd agree that having AirPods AND running shoes that didn't wear out as fast would (or be as expensive to refurbish) would be a good thing.  Oh well.  Maybe next year Apple will demonstrate their AirPod recycling robot.

muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 26 of 73
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    HeliBum said:
    There's definitely a bell curve on fit. Seems like 5% of folks (including my besty) have larger ear canals and they fall out, and another 5% (including my girlfriend) where they "pop" out.

I'm hoping that the Beats line eventually includes some “pods” that are based on those spongey cup things.
    I have the same issue with these. They ( Air Pods ) fit her perfectly and she loves them..as for me and my strangely shaped ears..not so much.

Been using these since Christmas and like them very much! Sound is solid and so is the connectivity.  Wish AI would do a proper review of these since Apple actually carried RHA products a while back, which is how I got to know the brand. Would like to see them put through the paces and see how they fair.  B)

• Reply 27 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    b2wice said:
    The biggest issue with the quickly depleting battery life is that every single time you put the buds back into their case, they automatically charge. Apple should include a feature so that they AUTOMATICALLY charge only less than 25% or such, so that the lithium ion doesn’t deplete by charging your AirPods daily if not needed.  Maybe force a charge if needed through your phone
    How is that going to help their stock value? If their products don't go kaput at some point how will people keep on buying Apple gear? No, I think this is a good design: keep on charging batteries and the sooner they break the better. Well, obviously not within the first two years, but you get the point.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I assume the ‘magic’ you are referring to isn’t the music quality. I tested these several times in the store and, sadly, the music quality simply isn’t there. Definitely inferior to my Bose wireless. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 73
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Seems like everyone who got Airpods 1 at launch is now saying battery life is decimated. It makes sense for a small battery, but it seems that they didn't even manage the iPhones lower 500 cycle rating, let alone their 1000 cycles for most other products. 

Would be nice to see published specs for how long these tiny batteries are rated to last, and if the gen 2 are any improved there. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 73
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    The headphone of other brands , like samsung or huawei, lose capacity of battery after 6 months / max 1 year. I understand your consideration but Apple offer the best quality possible. AirPods are a masterpiece of innovation with high quality standard. We all would love a battery for the entire life of the product but now it appear not possible. And consider that after 2 years and half you can spend a little to change battery of your lovely and amazing AirPods.
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    HeliBum said:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/25/beats-completely-wireless-powerbeats-pro-exposed-in-ios-122-update
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 73
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    You can tell us that there are better headphones in the world and we would believe you. However, we wouldn't buy them. Where we were happy with the sound quality on the original AirPods, the new AirPods 2 are unquestionably better.
    Oh, no, that can't be!

Well, I'm glad to hear it. (no pun intended)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 73
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    After buying my second Homepod I began to have issues with Siri. Before if I was sitting on the couch reading my iPad and listening to music, when I asked Siri to play something, I could see the iPad respond but then give preference to the Homepod. Now with the second HomePod which is on the second floor of the house both the HomePod and the iPad respond and start playing the new request. What is going to happen with AirPods which introduces another device that has Siri. Not to mention my Apple Watch which I turned off Hey Siri and just go with "lift to speak". Should be fun. Anyone else have multiple Siri responses?
  • Reply 34 of 73
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    how is the sound quality in noisy environments?  I've been using the Anker Liberty Lite but getting tired of the constant issues with the left ear bud.  They do a great job drowning out the noise in the office but I've been looking for a change.
    With no reported change in shape of v2, I imagine the they're no better at sound isolation than v1. I like my v1 AirPods a lot. A LOT. But they don't do much to block out noisy ambient sounds. That means sometimes listening at higher volume levels to overcome those outside sounds.

And that means potential hearing damage. Some fans of concerts is probably familiar with standing too close to a stack of Marshalls and exiting with felling a slight pressure on the ears. as though there's something in them. This is usually temporary, but you may have incurred actual damage, which is not, and not reversible.

FYI- loud sustained noises such as high volume levels increase the production of ear wax. You can often feel the wetness in your ears after extended listening.

I'm willing to try the H1 Powerbeats to see if they fit my ears satisfactorily and comfortably, for those times when it would be necessary to crank up the AirPods (which has a finite limit) in a noisy environment.

The AirPods hang in the ear canal opening with zero pressure. I can wear them far longer than the batteries last, compare to actual IEC buds. Comfort and audio quality are the tradeoff, though not significantly so (well, except for permanent ear damage).
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 73
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Has anyone else had Airpod1 and now has AirPod2 and confirm AirPod2 has improved audio ? Because some moron article writers on some web sites say, audio same as AirPod1.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    wood1208 said:
    Has anyone else had Airpod1 and now has AirPod2 and confirm AirPod2 has improved audio ? Because some moron article writers on some web sites say, audio same as AirPod1.
    The limited frequency response testing that I've been able to do today positively shows that there the first and second gen have different responses at different frequencies. I suspect that opinion across the internet will vary, as there is a wide variance in people's hearing, and preferences.
    muthuk_vanalingamentropysGeorgeBMacdewmepscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 73
    How can they "sound" better if nothing has changed internally? Same drivers, same configuration or the sound chambers. Same shell casing? I call B.S. on this and feel the author wanted them to sound better, thus they do. They sound adequate but not for critical music listening. For the average consumer who really has no clue about high-end sound quality, these are okay, I have a pair of the original AirPods 1, and I use them when I don't really worry to much about music. I use them mainly for podcasts and the vocal sounds are okay. I would recommend them, but still the claim that they sound better is bogus.
    chemengin
  • Reply 38 of 73
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    wood1208 said:
    For the average user, most probably won't notice a difference after a quick comparison myself. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 73
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    I've been waiting off AirPods for myself for 6 months as I knew that the new ones were coming out. The only feature I'll be honest that I'm a little disappointed with is the delay between saying "Hey Siri" and the action, it's not a major issue but it's not as instant as I come to expect from Apple products. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 73
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    How can they "sound" better if nothing has changed internally? Same drivers, same configuration or the sound chambers. Same shell casing? I call B.S. on this and feel the author wanted them to sound better, thus they do. They sound adequate but not for critical music listening. For the average consumer who really has no clue about high-end sound quality, these are okay, I have a pair of the original AirPods 1, and I use them when I don't really worry to much about music. I use them mainly for podcasts and the vocal sounds are okay. I would recommend them, but still the claim that they sound better is bogus.
    It has a different chip and thus firmware I would presume, and who knows if they made tweaks to the drivers? Seems like that may be the case.
    randominternetpersonpscooter63watto_cobra