Apple's apology for small amount of 2018 MacBook Pro keyboard failures still isn't enough

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    I can't stand the keyboard on this newer MacBook Pro 2016-2018 - still using my 2012 model until hopefully the 2019 is re-designed to have a bit more key travel.  It's so unsatisfying to write on it.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    tokyojimu said:
    I've been having keyboard problems on my 2017 MacBook. But the repair means doing without your computer for a week as they send it out for repair, and so I haven't reported my problems yet. I wonder how many others might be in my position, artificially deflating the number of users affected.
    Not to be "That Guy" but if you refuse to take 5-7 days out of your life to get your computer fixed  for free so you can get on with whatever you use it for then there's no reason for you to complain. There are also people who have issues with their Macs, PC's or whatever tech product they have and don't have a warranty and have to pay for repairs PLUS being without their computer while it's in service. If it's not the keyboard it's the screen. If its not the screen it's the hinges. If it's not the hinges then it's the logic board. These are common issues that laptops have regardless of brand, so if you're thinking to reply with "Well Apple shouldn't put out faulty keyboards", well that's the nature of tech, regardless of brand, regardless of cost. 

Dell's service repair quotes 2-3 weeks. I don't think 5-7 business days for an Apple repair is being unreasonable. 
    edited March 2019 randominternetpersonStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Mike Wuerthele said:  Given court lead times, none of them really have progressed yet.
    10 months with absolutely nothing happening sounds like there's more of a problem than just lead time for the courts.  
    randominternetpersonHenryDJP
  • Reply 24 of 79

So what happened to the butterfly keyboard lawsuits? There seem to be a rather large number of crickets chirping with those. Not much appears to be happening. Any ideas? Perhaps it's harder to make a case in a court of law than on the internet? 
    I think once a repair program goes into a effect as it has lawsuits are null and void. Apple has agreed to replace the keyboards and reimburse customers who paid for a keyboard repair. At that point you can't sue a company and win. 
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Mike Wuerthele said:  Given court lead times, none of them really have progressed yet.
    10 months with absolutely nothing happening sounds like there's more of a problem than just lead time for the courts.  
    Between class certification and court lead times, there can be two plus years between the announcement and any hearings for tech-related filings like this.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 26 of 79
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    HenryDJP said:
    tokyojimu said:
    I've been having keyboard problems on my 2017 MacBook. But the repair means doing without your computer for a week as they send it out for repair, and so I haven't reported my problems yet. I wonder how many others might be in my position, artificially deflating the number of users affected.
    Not to be "That Guy" but if you refuse to take 5-7 days out of your life to get your computer fixed  for free so you can get on with whatever you use it for then there's no reason for you to complain. There are also people who have issues with their Macs, PC's or whatever tech product they have and don't have a warranty and have to pay for repairs PLUS being without their computer while it's in service. If it's not the keyboard it's the screen. If its not the screen it's the hinges. If it's not the hinges then it's the logic board. These are common issues that laptops have regardless of brand, so if you're thinking to reply with "Well Apple shouldn't put out faulty keyboards", well that's the nature of tech, regardless of brand, regardless of cost. 

Dell's service repair quotes 2-3 weeks. I don't think 5-7 business days for an Apple repair is being unreasonable. 
    It’s not that a week is unreasonable; it’s just that it’s undoable for people who depend on their computer for a living. The other frustrating part of the issue is that these are not $200 chrome books - they are $1500+ premium laptops that are marketed as such. The fact that the keyboard is not only less reliable, but worse from a user perspective than the keyboard on a $500 computer is just unacceptable. Add to taht taht the repair costs hundreds of dollars and people have every right to be pissed off.

I’d echo many of the comments above - I started having issues with my 2017 MBP about 6 months after I got it - the command key started sticking. I guess not as critical as the T or the A, but still a big deal. I was able to get it cleaned out and working again and since then have purchased a silicone keyboard cover which has mostly eliminated further problems, but I’m pretty sure I would have become one of the ‘uncounted statistics’ - people who have had issues but haven’t gone in. My 2011 MacBook Air was at the end of its life, so I replaced it, but I’m now regretting that decision. It’s a great computer with a crappy keyboard
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahgchemengin
  • Reply 27 of 79
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    I also professionally use the keyboard and the new butterfly keyboard is excellent. I did not like the previous generation. the new one is fast and comfortable. I have been using the MacBook 12 2016 for over two years and I have zero problems.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 28 of 79
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    "Every person I know who bought a mac laptop in the last 2-3yrs had to get it replaced due to the keyboard." I do not know anyone with a problem. If it was true and Apple would exchange so many computers, then they would have gone bankrupt for a long time.
    randominternetpersonStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 79
    HenryDJP said:

So what happened to the butterfly keyboard lawsuits? There seem to be a rather large number of crickets chirping with those. Not much appears to be happening. Any ideas? Perhaps it's harder to make a case in a court of law than on the internet? 
    I think once a repair program goes into a effect as it has lawsuits are null and void. Apple has agreed to replace the keyboards and reimburse customers who paid for a keyboard repair. At that point you can't sue a company and win. 
    All of the filed cases are still active.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Apple's new keyboard is an utter POS. 

I might as well be whacking the ends of my finger on my desk...
    chemengin
  • Reply 31 of 79

I own both a 2016 MB 12” and a 2017 MB Pro 15” and both computers are plagued with frequent keyboard problems. I keep a case of canned air around to keep the keyboards working. I waste time every day cleaning the keyboards. It is a pain. 

I’m a novelist and spend all day everyday typing on my notebooks. As a professional keyboard user, these keyboards are the worse keyboards I have ever used. I own a couple of 2013 era Apple MB Pros which have the best keyboards I’ve ever used. So I know Apple knows how to make a great keyboard. 

Apple needs to take ownership of this problem and resolve it. Every computer does not have to be so thin, so anorexic that it no longer serves its purpose well. Anorexia is not sexy, it is unhealthy. I am heartbroken that Apple seems to be going down the path of selling slick over “it just works.” The entire reason I gave up on MS computers and went to Apple in 2011 was to save all the time I was losing to computer updates and upkeep. In my opinion, Apple is still better than MS, but not for long.

This MB keyboard fiasco is not a small inconsequential problem to those who experience it. There is a recall petition with over 35,680 signatures https://www.change.org/p/apple-apple-recall-macbook-pro-w-defective-keyboard-replace-with-different-working-keyboard

There are thinner computers with thicker keyboards. That’s not the reason for this keyboard. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 32 of 79
    sree said:
    Wow, what a critical and hard-hitting piece of journalism.

What I got from that is a small percentage of people who have recent MacBooks end up with keyboard problems, and those users should "go get it fixed."

Oh, and also, the small percentage of users who had problems with keyboards before 2016 was (perhaps) half the size.

And, for some reason Apple should "apologize" for not creating perfect, faultless devices.

Shrug.  I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and I love it and am in the "large percentage" of users without a problem.
    Sorry dude, I am as much of an apple user as you can find, but the butterfly keyboard issue is just nonsense. Every person I know who bought a mac laptop in the last 2-3yrs had to get it replaced due to the keyboard. just last month, my friend got the new macbook air, and in one week the character 't' started misbehaving. Either he would get 'tt' or none at all about 30% of the time. Luckily it happened before the warranty ran out, so they replaced the laptop. He has his fingers crossed now.
    Sorry, I have to call BS on that.  Unless you only know 2 people who bought MacBooks and they were very lucky.  I don't doubt that some people are having problems, but it's a minority if not a very small minority.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Joanna Stern has cried wolf about so much nonsense over the years, from her time at pro-troll site Verge, to her silly complaints at WSJ. Won't take her as a single source on anything.

Here's Gruber politely saying Stern is full of shit over her recommendation to tape your Mac's webcam to protect it from hackers:

https://daringfireball.net/2019/02/on_covering_webcams
    edited March 2019 fastasleepelijahg
  • Reply 34 of 79

kkqd1337 said:
    what makes users so irate about these problems is when Apple refuse to maintain anything other than a positive narrative about their products.

it's incredibly annoying to see Apple stand on stage and harp on about how much they love their customers, and especially 'loyal' customers, and then they won't give you the basic dignity of being honest with you after handing over thousands of dollars.
    You expect an apology...Have you been victimized personally? How so?
    edited March 2019 elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 79
    MplsP said:
    HenryDJP said:
    tokyojimu said:

It’s not that a week is unreasonable; it’s just that it’s undoable for people who depend on their computer for a living. The other frustrating part of the issue is that these are not $200 chrome books - they are $1500+ premium laptops that are marketed as such. The fact that the keyboard is not only less reliable, but worse from a user perspective than the keyboard on a $500 computer is just unacceptable. Add to taht taht the repair costs hundreds of dollars and people have every right to be pissed off.

I’d echo many of the comments above - I started having issues with my 2017 MBP about 6 months after I got it - the command key started sticking. I guess not as critical as the T or the A, but still a big deal. I was able to get it cleaned out and working again and since then have purchased a silicone keyboard cover which has mostly eliminated further problems, but I’m pretty sure I would have become one of the ‘uncounted statistics’ - people who have had issues but haven’t gone in. My 2011 MacBook Air was at the end of its life, so I replaced it, but I’m now regretting that decision. It’s a great computer with a crappy keyboard
    I'm a professional who uses my computers to make a living. In no way would I only have one computer at home, nor do my associates. 
    croprelijahg
  • Reply 36 of 79
    i still use a 2015 retina macbook with scissor keyboards. i really, really want to like the new macbook line. even the one with the touch strip. but news about the keyboard keep delaying my upgrade. i hope apple fixes this and this “gate” finally closes. 
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Joanna Stern has cried wolf about so much nonsense over the years, from her time at pro-troll site Verge, to her silly complaints at WSJ. Won't take her as a single source on anything.

Here's Gruber politely saying Stern is full of shit over her recommendation to tape your Mac's webcam to protect it from hackers:

https://daringfireball.net/2019/02/on_covering_webcams
    And here is he praising the keyboard piece from today. And, she isn't a single source. We've been talking about it for a long time.

edited March 2019 aknabi1STnTENDERBITSMplsPchemenginelijahgCarnage
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Oh please. Still. 

Burn these things to the ground damn it. 

Its clear to anyone that uses them on mass. They are terrible!! 

I’m still holding on to my last generation design top spec model. Please get rid of this garbage!!! 

Its become the worst product Apple’s ever shipped imo. Because they keep bloody sticking with it. 

A family members one packed in last week. AGAIN. Second time for this one in under a year. Come on!!! 

So glad I don’t have one. I’d of thrown it back through the door of the Apple store in Covent Garden after the third time my own one broke. 
  • Reply 39 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I own both a 2016 MB 12” and a 2017 MB Pro 15” and both computers are plagued with frequent keyboard problems. I keep a case of canned air around to keep the keyboards working. I waste time every day cleaning the keyboards. It is a pain. 

I’m a novelist and spend all day everyday typing on my notebooks. As a professional keyboard user, these keyboards are the worse keyboards I have ever used. I own a couple of 2013 era Apple MB Pros which have the best keyboards I’ve ever used. So I know Apple knows how to make a great keyboard. 

Apple needs to take ownership of this problem and resolve it. Every computer does not have to be so thin, so anorexic that it no longer serves its purpose well. Anorexia is not sexy, it is unhealthy. I am heartbroken that Apple seems to be going down the path of selling slick over “it just works.” The entire reason I gave up on MS computers and went to Apple in 2011 was to save all the time I was losing to computer updates and upkeep. In my opinion, Apple is still better than MS, but not for long.

This MB keyboard fiasco is not a small inconsequential problem to those who experience it. There is a recall petition with over 35,680 signatures https://www.change.org/p/apple-apple-recall-macbook-pro-w-defective-keyboard-replace-with-different-working-keyboard

Methinks it would be better to vacuum the keyboard rather than blow the dirt into the cracks with compressed air. Only don’t touch the nozzle or dusting brush to the keyboard, of course, just a bit above. I use a fine pre-vacuumed paintbrush right next to the nozzle to dislodge any stuck-on dust into the suction.

As for the design, thinness is only one factor, probably. Their other goal could be to reduce key travel to the minimum for speed and reduction of effort. A good idea in theory, but perhaps hubristcally premature in its implementation. I like the way it types.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple's new keyboard is an utter POS. 

I might as well be whacking the ends of my finger on my desk...
    If you’re whacking the keyboard then you’re “using it wrong.” Many people are tactility challenged and use too much force on computer keyboards. You might be one of these.

I find the keyboad a joy to use, but I started out on an upright Underwood typewriter back in the 60s at a newspaper, hammering that clunker all day long.

Once many years ago I was typing on a friend’s computer, and she said “Don’t hit the keys so hard.” I had not been aware that I was, and she made me realize that one should use the minimum force to get the job done. With anything. I learned that also as a mechanic. Some people trash their cars by tearing into driveways or thrashing the transmission or clutch, others don’t. 

Still, it appears that the butterfly mechanism is way too vulnerable to the heavy-handed. Maybe Apple should have remembered the original meaning of “foolproof,” and made them so.
    edited March 2019 fastasleep