Everything new in iOS 12.3 & tvOS 12.3: New TV app!

Posted:
in iOS
Just days after the release of iOS 12.2 and tvOS 12.2, Apple has rolled out first betas of iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3. AppleInsider delves into them both, to see what is new and exciting.

TV app on iOS 12.3
TV app on iOS 12.3

The most notable change here is the addition of the overhauled TV app. This app has a streamlined appearance and new features to make it the best destination to watch all of your shows on your iOS or tvOS device. Not only is it coming to the current Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K, but the third generation set-top box as well.

TV App
TV app on tvOS 12.3

Some features are still missing here such as the ability to play content natively in the TV app without having to bounce out to a third-party app. This will likely come after launch as extensive third-party support and back end work will need to be done.

The other notable change in this beta is more transaction history within the Wallet app. Instead of just the last few purchases, a much larger list is now viewable. This obviously is a precursor to the Apple Card launching later this year. Image assets for the Apple Card were also discovered in the beta, though that doesn't necessarily mean that the card will launch when iOS 12.3 releases this May.

Earlier this week Apple released iOS 12.2 to the general public which contained more than 40 new features and changes.

Find any changes or features we didn't mention? Shoot me an email at [email protected] or reach out to me on Twitter at @Andrew_OSU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Speaking of transaction history in Wallet, I only see transactions that were completed on my iPhone (which are relatively few). I use my Apple Watch most of the time but the transactions don’t make it into the phone Wallet app. Is that the same behavior for everyone or is something off on my end?
    caladanianwattouk
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Joey_AppleJoey_Apple Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Speaking of transaction history in Wallet, I only see transactions that were completed on my iPhone (which are relatively few).
    Yeah same behavior for me
  • Reply 3 of 8
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Speaking of transaction history in Wallet, I only see transactions that were completed on my iPhone (which are relatively few). I use my Apple Watch most of the time but the transactions don’t make it into the phone Wallet app. Is that the same behavior for everyone or is something off on my end?
    Apple Watch transactions are shown in the Wallet section in Watch App. Have this behaviour from the beginning I use Apple Pay... it is different ‘card’ (separate card token) so it has own wallet app and own ‘card number’
    edited March 2019 caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 8
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    "This app has a streamlined appearance and new features to make it the best destination to watch all of your shows on your iOS or tvOS device." Did you write this, or Apple's PR department?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have been trying to confirm how the TV app works with the movies I have downloaded from iTunes.  Does the TV app stream the movies or is the app pulling the movie that stored on my hard drive?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    This behavior appears to vary by card provider. For example, with my bank's credit and debit cards, only Apple Pay transactions show up in my wallet, whether they were made via phone or my Watch. However, every single AMEX transaction pops up in my wallet whether I used Apple Pay or the physical card.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Do none of the reviewers watch Apple TV with their significant others, spouses, kids or family in general? I ask because the glaring omission in the Apple TV app is the For You section. In case it hasn’t occurred to you, when you want to use the recommendations from the TV app to watch a show, who’s watching information will be used on the For You section? This is a serious omission that is being glossed over I guess because the mindset is iOS == one device per person. That mindset can not be taken with the Apple TV. It’s a shared device and it appears Apple is only kind of sort of addressing it with their antiquated and very un-family friendly plan UI process of having to go into the settings and change one of the account logins. Oh, and which one do we change? I’m hoping they will address this before it’s released to the general public but I fear they’ve made this a low priority use case, assuming it’s even on the board. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    Let me break a little news for you. Netflix IS part of the new TV app. Even though it isn’t listed (yet) in the Apple TV channels, and wasn’t mentioned at all in the keynote, you can now see Netflix content in the For You and other sections of the new TV app and you can add them to your UpNext screen.