Leak claims to show schematic for 2019's upcoming 'iPhone XI'

Posted:
in iPhone
A questionable manufacturing schematic emerged on Thursday, offering perhaps the first glimpse at 2019's flagship iPhone.

Leaked 2019 iPhone schematic

The image, posted to Slashleaks, is roughly consistent with the dimensions of 2018 iPhones, but only depicts the new phone's metal chassis for the sake of welding. The most significant detail is its rear cutouts, which appear to include three circular ones for camera lenses.

The anonymous leaker identifies the phone as an "iPhone XI," but without any other details, and there's no way of verifying the schematic's authenticity.

It would however be consistent with reports that Apple is planning to add a triple-lens rear camera to one or more 2019 iPhones. In fact it appears to match an early render showing an iPhone with a square camera bump, as well as two smaller holes including one for flash.

An early render based on rumors.
An early render based on rumors.

It's thought that one way or another, Apple may be developing rear-facing depth mapping technology using a "time of flight" system. That could improve both Portrait shooting and augmented reality.

Depth mapping is already present on current iPhones, but relying on AI and/or a second lens for rear shooting, and dot projection on the front, the latter of which has very short range.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Not a fan of that cameras arrangement...
    chemengin
  • Reply 2 of 28
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I'm sorry, but there's no way for Chinese people to take the name "iPhone XI" seriously...

edited March 2019 hexclockravnorodommacpluspluspatchythepiratemacseekermknelsonspheric
    iu.jpeg 45.6K
  • Reply 3 of 28
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    Why are they so obsessed with keeping the camera to the side  :/ looks awful 

bit of symmetry never hurt anyone 
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    DuhSesame said:
    I'm sorry, but there's no way for Chinese people to take the name "iPhone XI" seriously...

They can have their Huawei then, and good riddance. 
    edited March 2019 patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    A questionable manufacturing schematic emerged on Thursday, offering perhaps the first glimpse at 2019's flagship iPhone.

Leaked 2019 iPhone schematic
    The schematic is not in Chinese, I call fake! /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    DuhSesame said:

Can always rename it to iPhone 11.... but then it looks like iPhone 2. Never mind.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DuhSesame said:

That was my first thought. "They named the iPhone after the Premier of China? I mean I know they are trying to increase their market share but this seems a bit...obvious. LOL
    edited March 2019 cornchipmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    gutengel said:
    Not a fan of that cameras arrangement...
    it is strange that they wouldn't have put the cameras in the corners, flash in center, & left mic essentially where it is. Guess they have their reasons.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    I promise to only forever pronounce it "iPhone ex eye"
    chemenginwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I promise to only forever pronounce it "iPhone ex eye"
    I think I'm gonna go with the Chinese pronunciation which I believe would be something like zhe.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Makes sense. As soon as I saw the previous rumor I felt it was legit. I’m sure an equilateral triangle camera setup will be very helpful for photo computation. Also, it’s going to look very nice, and very purposeful in its rightful place in the corner with a clean, ss raised border.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    hexclock said:
    DuhSesame said:

They can have their Huawei then, and good riddance. 
    Apple is the first to patent a smartphone with 3 cameras. You are not informed. You ignored also that huawei and other brands always copied or tried to anticipated Apple products. So keep in mind it. And always they failed because Apple products are completely better. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Can someone explain what “/s” means at the end of comments??  I see this on this forum and other places.  Sorry not up on this slang or lingo
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    M68000 said:
    Can someone explain what “/s” means at the end of comments??  I see this on this forum and other places.  Sorry not up on this slang or lingo
    It means 'sarcasm'.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 15 of 28
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    designr said:
    I sure hope Apple doesn't return to/continue with the Roman numeral scheme. It's bad enough that the NFL has stayed with it for so long.

I wouldn't mind (or even be surprised) to see them make a big branding change along the lines of:

Phone mini 2019
    Phone 2019
    Phone max 2019

Or perhaps:

Phone mini '19
    Phone '19
    Phone max '19

It would be a nice simplification and bring it into alignment with all their new products and services.

And then...

Phone 2020 ... etc.

Dun...dun...DUNNNNN!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Please don't name it the New iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    Not a schematic
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 28
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    designr said:
    I wouldn't mind (or even be surprised) to see them make a big branding change 
    For the iPad 3 they branded it as "The new iPad". Maybe the next iPhone could be branded "The New iPhone".

I'm also pondering "Apple xPhone."

Or more realistically "The Apple Phone."

I've been wrong before. I thought the largest iPad Pro would be called the "Max iPad".
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    M68000 said:

It's an indication that the post is sarcastic.

Example:

I absolutely love Samsung phones!! /s

cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Pretty strong indications that this document is fake:
    1. As pointed out above, its in English.
    2. FTA: matches a fan render imagining how three cameras could work
    3. Seems unlikely that they'd call it the iPhone XI, so again -- very likely fake.

They could just have the line be called the iPhone 2019 or the iPhone A13 and A13 Plus.
    watto_cobra