'Fortnite' on new iPad mini 5 cements it as a solid gaming device

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
Now that the iPad mini has had a respectable spec upgrade, we decided to para-drop into one of our favorite games to see how well it performs as a dedicated gaming device.

Fornite on iPad mini 5
Fornite on iPad mini 5

Apple significantly beefed up the iPad mini, including a fully laminated and a brighter display at the max PPI that the iPhone maker supports -- 326 -- all powered by the A12 Bionic processor. The chip isn't new, but it is new to the iPad mini and it really pushes those pixels.

We started out playing Fornite at 30 fps with our SteelSeries Nimbus XL controller. Using the controller is great with an iPad mini as the display. It is easy to prop up the ever-so-light tablet almost anywhere. The game felt fluid and fast with no ridiculous load times.

Soon after, we wanted to try playing freehand, sans controller. The iPad mini 5 still has large bezels on the top and bottom which is still good for a gaming device that you have to grip. This makes it easy to hold while keeping your hands largely off the display -- other than to use the controls. One downside we ran into, is that when holding the tablet our hand covered the lower of the two speakers iPad mini has, muffling the sound a bit.

Something we noticed quickly with the new iPad mini is the fully laminated display. The 2018 iPad still uses a non-laminated display which puts a layer of air between the glass and the screen itself. By laminating those two together, it brings the content closer to your fingertips. This gives you the feeling of more closely interacting with the game, especially with the speediness of the A12.

Fornite on iPad mini 5
Fornite on iPad mini 5 and SteelSeries Nimbus XL

We did try moving the frame rate up to 60 fps to see how it handled it, and the iPad mini played through without issue. The game felt immediately smoother and this was how we kept it for our future battles. It was a much better experience than we've seen before, on a more portable form-factor than the iPad Pro.

The 2019 mini also supports the P3 wide color gamut so the colors within "Fortnite" really popped. It was brighter too, which made a big difference when playing outside -- now that the weather is finally warming up.

When we look at our other options, the iPad mini really shines as an excellent portable gaming solution. The screen is a perfect size for portability but maintains a high resolution. Our Nintendo Switch has about 2/3 the resolution of the iPad and doesn't look nearly as good. You can't use an iPod Touch to play "Fortnite" as it requires at least 2GB of RAM. You could use an iPhone but even with the XS Max the screen isn't as large and your hands block part of the content.

"Fortnite" was a delight to play on the iPad mini and with its power, size, and display. We have no doubts about our new device of choice for handheld gaming.

Save $10 on iPad mini devices

Apple authorized reseller Adorama is currently knocking $10 off every iPad mini 5 exclusively for AppleInsider readers. To activate the code, you must use the special pricing links below or in our iPad mini Price Guide and enter coupon code APINSIDER in the same browsing session. Deal ends March 31.

Exclusive coupon discount on 2019 iPad minis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Decent games will cement it as a solid gaming device. Nothing else.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Perfect Apple Arcade device. Apple upgraded the mini for a reason.
    foregoneconclusionracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Funny how you had to turn off comments on the previous LGBTQ equality index article. How many homophobic-snowflake readers do you guy have? Why not clean the house?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    gutengel said:
    Funny how you had to turn off comments on the previous LGBTQ equality index article. How many homophobic-snowflake readers do you guy have? Why not clean the house?
    Most articles on here that delve into politics get the same treatment, and that’s fine. When Mike gets sick of moderating every other comment he shuts it down, and I don’t blame him. No one can have a rational conversation anymore, since we can all sling our comments rather anonymously with no repercussions. 
    edited March 2019 pscooter63racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gutengel said:
    We have been, and continue to do so as practically demonstrated by some of the political articles remaining open as of late. However, still, there are stories that we know from the jump attract the worst.

As the effort progresses, so will the number of stories that get left open that we wouldn't have left open a year ago.
    edited March 2019 gutengelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    There are many good and useful reasons for having an updated mini 5 and I really don’t know what to say to someone who disagrees.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    I am getting one, in part for my drone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    gutengel said:
    You'd really be surprised.
    gutengelfastasleeptoysandme
  • Reply 9 of 11
    You've got yours then? I ordered on the day of the announcement - within the first few hours - and delivery slipped back here in the UK. First it was scheduled for 26-28 now 28-2. It’s been on preparing to ship for last 24hrs. Received my iMac and AirPods 2 first. Must be selling well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    You've got yours then? I ordered on the day of the announcement - within the first few hours - and delivery slipped back here in the UK. First it was scheduled for 26-28 now 28-2. It’s been on preparing to ship for last 24hrs. Received my iMac and AirPods 2 first. Must be selling well. 
    Yesterday.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I want to get the new Mini but the lack of middle storage option really chaffs my hide. My current mini already has 64 gigs but the upgrade for the new Mini is $150 or...38% more money. Irritating.....

I'm not saying I'm annoyed by Apple doing this.... I'm just saying I still own an iPhone 7 because they started doing it with the iPhone 8 and models there after.

For some reason when I want to buy an iPhone Xr I can go from 64 gig of storage to 128 gigs for.....$50.

Yet that option can't exist anywhere else in the line up.....

Lame.....