Apple cancels AirPower wireless charging mat, citing quality issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 228
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Maybe after the new keyboard mechanism failures, bending iPads, and failing laptop video ribbon cables,  Apple has decided not to open another can of worms and just cut the losses. One can argue that it is the best decision.
    forgot usernameanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamn2itivguy
  • Reply 42 of 228
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Health hazard, anyone?!
  • Reply 43 of 228
    jas99 said:
    I’m extremely glad to know that Apple has retained its high standards.

The worst possible decision would’ve been to issue a subpar product.

Kudos to Apple for not shipping something that wasn’t significantly better than other alternatives in the marketplace.
    Exactly. I wish more people here would rationally think like you do rather than trash the company as if they are out money from this decision. 
    randominternetpersonchasmmrboba1
  • Reply 44 of 228
    Inductive Charging, much like the 3.5mm headphone jack is old tech that was likely
    to always be underwhelming and fragile. Good riddance to both. 
  • Reply 45 of 228
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    n2itivguy said:
    n2itivguy said:
    So very, very disappointing. Ridiculous, really. 
    Yes, it is a ridiculous world we live in when real-life engineering problems make my entitlement to consumer goods secondary. Don't they know who I am??
    How immature. No need to be so aggressive. It’s ridiculous Apple announced a product as early as they did. There’s nothing entitlement related to that at all. 
    Um, I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic. A slight jab at the people whose lives are ruined by this devastating announcement.   
    macguigilly33
  • Reply 46 of 228

ElCapitan said:
    LOL

Perhaps it will teach Timmy & Co to go back to good, old, well tested Apple product management practices of NOT announcing product till they are ready to ship (meaning they are also properly tested)!

Now if they had done the same with certain keyboards too,  a lot of grief on both sides of the coin would have been avoided. 
    Stop trolling please. The discussion has been going well. We don't need these "Timmy" trolling comments. 
    elijahgrandominternetpersonStrangeDaysroundaboutnowtmayfastasleepsuddenly newtonmacguipscooter63
  • Reply 47 of 228
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    It’s great they made an official announcement one way or the other.  You probably won’t see products shown like that again until they are really working.  Not sure why anybody should be that let down about it.  There are other options out there with 3 fixed pads that do charging.  So what if you have to take 5 seconds to find the right spots on the pads,  who cares.  It’s just a charger,  that’s all it does
    gilly33
  • Reply 48 of 228
    Shocker! Perhaps Apple has something better on the table like charging through the air.
  • Reply 49 of 228
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    HenryDJP said:
    cecil4444 said:
    So it was always ever vaporware. Nice going, Apple.
    I think you should do a little homework so you can understand what Vaporware truly is. Obviously you don't. 
    Apparently, nor do you. "Vapourware: noun Computing, informal. Software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."
    gatorguystompywilliamhmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 228
    I have to seriously laugh at some of the hater comments here. Time after time when Apple has a blunder with one of their products then the haters go on a rampage saying Apple's QC has gone down. Today the company announces their wireless charging mat is presenting some technical problems and they are not ready to ship it. Sounds like the company is on top of the QC here. Apple doesn't want to put out a faulty product and the trolls come alive here trashing Apple for doing the right thing. Hmm. 
    StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamstourquechasmpscooter63
  • Reply 51 of 228
    Wow. What a fiasco and admission that they weren’t able to make it real AFTER teasing it. 
  • Reply 52 of 228
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    xamax said:
    Health hazard, anyone?!
    No data to support this claim yet. Maybe someday, but not yet.
  • Reply 53 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    elijahg said:
    HenryDJP said:
    cecil4444 said:
    I think you should do a little homework so you can understand what Vaporware truly is. Obviously you don't. 
    Apparently, nor do you. "Vapourware: noun Computing, informal. Software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."
    Oh, count me in too then. I hadn't considered Airpower to be vaporware, but based on the meaning of the word I suppose technically it might be. 
    HenryDJPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 228
    elijahg said:
    HenryDJP said:
    cecil4444 said:
    Ok then using this definition, everything is vaporware until it's ready to ship.

Most people reserve the term for companies that are hyping a product that they know isn't ready.  So AirPower was vaporware 19 months ago, but lost that status when Apple stopped talking about.
    HenryDJPpscooter63
  • Reply 55 of 228
    Ugh. Disappointing. 

Now I need to return my wireless-charing AirPods for the normal...if a mat can't do all three devices it isn't worth it to me.
    Get the Nomad Base Station. It has three coils and a spot for the watch.
    redraider11fastasleepchasm
  • Reply 56 of 228
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Thought it was a neat idea when they first unveiled it. But by six months ago it hadn't appeared and everyone and their cat was selling Qi compatible charging devices while still Apple hadn't released theirs. This isn't really a surprise, though I will admit being taken in by last weeks flurry of hardware releases and all the speculation that it would be next. But no, this was not really a surprise. 
  • Reply 57 of 228

Wow. What a fiasco and admission that they weren’t able to make it real AFTER teasing it. 
    I tend to save "fiasco" for events that have some meaningful impact on a company's business.  Boeing knows what a fiasco looks like; exploding phones is a fiasco; canceling a cool accessory is an unfortunate blip.
    anantksundaramJanNLariemuthuk_vanalingamargonautmacguipscooter63gilly33
  • Reply 58 of 228
    Kind of troubling. It can't be the engineering, since there are a billion Tom/Dick/Harry Qi chargers out there... Can't be manufacturing, since Apple makes far more complex things. 

"Can't meet our high standards"? So what was it, really?
    ravnorodomchemengin
  • Reply 59 of 228
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    HenryDJP said:
    I have to seriously laugh at some of the hater comments here. Time after time when Apple has a blunder with one of their products then the haters go on a rampage saying Apple's QC has gone down. Today the company announces their wireless charging mat is presenting some technical problems and they are not ready to ship it. Sounds like the company is on top of the QC here. Apple doesn't want to put out a faulty product and the trolls come alive here trashing Apple for doing the right thing. Hmm. 
    It has gone down, and it not trolling. We see quality issues both in hardware and software that would not have slipped in the past. 
    elijahgargonautchemengin
  • Reply 60 of 228
    elijahg said:
    HenryDJP said:
    cecil4444 said:
    Alright fair enough, but the term generally is used in regards to companies at CES who only show concepts and announce that the product will be available in the coming months of the same year, but are never talked about any further for several years. It's usually to create hype. I don't see where Apple qualifies under this situation. 
    gregoriusmgilly33