Apple engineer who led development of A7 through A12X chip cores departs company

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,380member
    MisterKit said:
    I wonder how this will affect the possibility of there ever being an ARM based Mac. All the years of rumors and now the top brain is leaving.
    Either no effect or accelrate I'd guess. 
    Could be reason to change, change in direction for chip team meant that a new engineer lead naturally came forward and he's taking the opertunity to find something else to challange him. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 22 of 53
    nknk Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    He should join qualcomm to compete with Apples processor,. 
  • Reply 23 of 53
    He might just want to take a long vacation....and then see what he' wants to do next. Or maybe, he just wants to buy a small island and enjoy his time on the earth outside of meetings.
    igerardGeorgeBMacnetmageJWSCStrangeDaysqwwera
  • Reply 24 of 53

It has been a 7 year stint for myself since 2012 with my iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone X and iPhone XR. For the first time my loyalty to apple products is facing a challenge with the cancellation of AirPower and the departing of Gerard Williams III. I loved every single minute of my journey in appreciating excellence and are still enjoying it but it seems like my sparkle is possibly coming to the end of it’s lifespan. Is their a new sparkle or season ahead? 

wattouk
  • Reply 25 of 53
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member

It has been a 7 year stint for myself since 2012 with my iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone X and iPhone XR. For the first time my loyalty to apple products is facing a challenge with the cancellation of AirPower and the departing of Gerard Williams III. I loved every single minute of my journey in appreciating excellence and are still enjoying it but it seems like my sparkle is possibly coming to the end of it’s lifespan. Is their a new sparkle or season ahead? 

I feel the same. I first became an Apple fan with the iPhone 3G - wow that was out of this world.

I have had every single iPhone since then and gone on to enjoy other products such as the iPod, AirPort Extreme - still the best router I’ve ever had, Airport express, iMac, MacBook Pro’s including the new one with Touch Bar - which I actually find useful, iPad’s, Apple Watch, pencil and now AirPods.

Something doesn’t feel quite right at Apple, delayed products seem to be becoming a norm, if the products aren’t cancelled altogether. I used to revel in innovation but there’s so many things not up to the standard I expect of Apple. Siri being my biggest bug bear, especially with the future of voice assistants being massive, it is on nowhere near the same level as it’s rivals due to being late to the game. 

There are a lot of Apple lovers who think they can do no wrong, I was one of them but they seem to be falling behind in key areas - such as innovation.

I am a tech fan so appreciate what other companies do too so I applaud Samsung for their foldable phone project and Huawei for their wireless power sharing. Like it or not, this is innovation. I remember when Samsung released wireless charging phones and everyone on here slated it saying things like “what’s the point”, yet the same people are now annoyed that the AirPower has been cancelled. 

Their move into TV has also been very slow and looks half baked at the moment, along with gaming which - if you compare to google stadia, is just child’s play.

I just hope the innovation isn’t being starved just for the sake of profits.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MisterKit said:
    I wonder how this will affect the possibility of there ever being an ARM based Mac. All the years of rumors and now the top brain is leaving.
    That was my first thought.
    My second thought was:  "Perhaps Apple does not want to ruffle feathers at struggling Intel by cutting them out of the Mac line"  (Because they need the flexibility and additional resources Intel provides since Qualcomm took themselves off the table and politics has taken Huawei off the table.)
  • Reply 27 of 53
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I love the speculative stories! Wow. An engineer leaves (that most didn’t even know existed) and Apple insiders are ready to abandon the company. This guy sounded like a key contributor, wish him best of luck on his next endeavor. Now that I know his name - thank you sir for your great work. However, something tells me that the most profitable company in the world will manage to survive and thrive after his departure. Maybe he will make an impact elsewhere that Apple will benefit from in the future.
    netmageStrangeDaysdocno42muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 53

Liar and a troll.
    GeorgeBMacmacplusplusJWSCfastasleepStrangeDaystmayrandominternetperson
  • Reply 29 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,728member
    MisterKit said:
    That was my first thought.
    My second thought was:  "Perhaps Apple does not want to ruffle feathers at struggling Intel by cutting them out of the Mac line"  (Because they need the flexibility and additional resources Intel provides since Qualcomm took themselves off the table and politics has taken Huawei off the table.)
    I would be worried if that's the reason why Apple is not moving forward with an ARM Mac.  "You have to break some eggs if you want to make an omelette"
    JWSC
  • Reply 30 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,462member
    What annoys me is how some people think it's a bad sign when a person leaves company. It's not how it is for many people including me. I generally lose interest after working for a few years and want to move to something different and new even if I have high opinions of the company.  
    netmageJWSCStrangeDaysdocno42
  • Reply 31 of 53
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,386member
    netrox said:
    What annoys me is how some people think it's a bad sign when a person leaves company. It's not how it is for many people including me. I generally lose interest after working for a few years and want to move to something different and new even if I have high opinions of the company.  
    While it annoys you, it shouldn't surprise you. So many people like/chose to envision the worst for whatever reason. Any site that allows comments is rife with unreasoned hate comments — largely just because or driven by ignorance. Still, I'm always curious when no explanation is given, but I make no judgements. 

Bonne chance, Gerard Williams III
    netmage
  • Reply 32 of 53

This is one of the weirder aspects of AppleInsider — this can’t be a real person, right? So what is it then? Some kind of template that some contractor uses to generate comments? 
    macplusplusJWSCfastasleepStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 53
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Maybe he got tired waiting on Apple giving Intel a boot in the ass ...
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 34 of 53
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    mattinoz said:
    MisterKit said:
    Either no effect or accelrate I'd guess. 
    Could be reason to change, change in direction for chip team meant that a new engineer lead naturally came forward and he's taking the opertunity to find something else to challange him. 
    Really amusing ... manager much?
  • Reply 35 of 53
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

This is one of the weirder aspects of AppleInsider — this can’t be a real person, right? So what is it then? Some kind of template that some contractor uses to generate comments? 

Agree.  Both CapeTown1652 and Wattouk, which followed up on CapeTown1652, are really rather obtuse.  Both are similar and have low post numbers.  Could this be some sort of influence campaign paid for by a rather clueless competitor?  Just asking.

fastasleepStrangeDaystmayrandominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,948member
    mike54 said:
    I hope he enjoys his next move.
    Many prominent talented people have left and size of what were once key teams have been reduced  under the reign of Tim Cook.
    If you don't take this announcement in isolation and look at what's been happening over the last 6 years, you'll notice that Apple is a very different company now and with a changing culture and environment with different priorities. Many are fine with this new Apple as it still makes high profits, but for me, its not the direction I want to see Apple go down.
    Oh really? Would you mind sharing your HR data of hires and attrition rates during the past two decades? I’d really like to review the data you’re using to pass off this questionable claim as fact. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,948member
    wattouk said:

Something doesn’t feel quite right at Apple, delayed products seem to be becoming a norm, if the products aren’t cancelled altogether. I used to revel in innovation but there’s so many things not up to the standard I expect of Apple. Siri being my biggest bug bear, especially with the future of voice assistants being massive, it is on nowhere near the same level as it’s rivals due to being late to the game. 

There are a lot of Apple lovers who think they can do no wrong, I was one of them but they seem to be falling behind in key areas - such as innovation.
    O rly, what other products are being canceled left and right?

Innovation dead at apple....groan. Nice one. Apple Watch 4 and AirPods, just engineering themselves, falling off of trees, right? Please. 

Many others disagree with you on gaming service - people have been calling for it. Entirely different product than streaming games over the internet. 

Ill believe Apple can’t innovate when the rest of the industry stops copying them. 
    tmay
  • Reply 38 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MisterKit said:
    Those are big shoes to fill. Wonder why he left.
    Probably retirement.  He has actually had a long career. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 53
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    good move.  Chip got  into time zone  that little progressive improvement can be made - additional core will not improve the performance as people let to believe (such as spec reader style of users populated in China).  9 nm half pitch size almost reach the mile stone of the "rule" because tunneling effect.  Lower voltage hindered by electronic package challenges (off chip sensitivity to contamination, mating surface, delay, etc.etc.).  With his strong background in SOC, i am sure he can find new field to shine.  Best luck to his next endeavor.  (too early to retire with 5G breath down to your neck ;-)
  • Reply 40 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mike54 said:
    I hope he enjoys his next move.
    Many prominent talented people have left and size of what were once key teams have been reduced  under the reign of Tim Cook.
    If you don't take this announcement in isolation and look at what's been happening over the last 6 years, you'll notice that Apple is a very different company now and with a changing culture and environment with different priorities. Many are fine with this new Apple as it still makes high profits, but for me, its not the direction I want to see Apple go down.
    Google is building their own custom SoC team as well.  Don't be surprised if he ends up there.  The last prominent Apple chip designer that left ended up there.
    Very talented people with narrow areas of specialization have a limited number of companies they can go work for, so unless they’ve been kidnapped by the Russians or Chinese the guesses should be pretty narrow.