Warren Buffett doubts Apple TV+ immediate success, but Apple 'can afford a mistake or two'...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple’s first efforts already failed. Remember “Carpool Karaoke” or “Planet of the Apps”?
    I don’t think Carpool Karaoke was a failure at all. I enjoyed watching many of the episodes. Why the fsking negativity all the time? So Apple should give up. Don’t try anymore? Go back to a shrinking, commoditized hardware market and stay there?
    Would you pay for Carpool Karaoke?   I don't believe it.   
  • Reply 22 of 31
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple’s first efforts already failed. Remember “Carpool Karaoke” or “Planet of the Apps”?
    Wrong delivery mechanism.  I think you (& he) are right on Apple’s own content though, it’ll be channels that make the service.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    maestro64 said:
    But when you just want to mindlessly watch something it is not easy to just flip from channel to channel to find something new.
    Apple isn't interested in people who do things "mindlessly." You sound like an Android customer.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Most of Apple's commercial "failures" have in fact contributed heavily to their future successes. The G4 Cube, just as a clear example of a "flop," refined both Apple's motherboard design chops and their thermal cooling techniques, which have contributed to every single Mac computer they've put out since.

The TV+ service is far more likely to be a "slow burn" rather than a "failure" -- it will perhaps be more influential than financially profitable, at least for a while -- just as the Apple TV, Apple Watch, and App Stores were.

Not everything Apple does is an immediate sensation, in fact most of their efforts aren't -- but most of them have profound effects and many eventually become big hits. Heaven help us if Apple ever becomes a company so focused on an immediate "big hit" that they never take any more chances.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    With AirPlay and the TV app coming to Roku I'm NEVER buying another Apple TV hardware device; unless they ditch that gawd awful remote.  Even an Apple presenter got sabotaged during the media even by that POS.  

Then again they have stuck with their just as horrible shitty keyboard design for years now too so I'm not holding my breath :rage: 

As for the service, I will have to see.  Tivo already does the best job of any of these aggregators I've used at actually finding and surfacing content and the current TV app from Apple is a joke by comparison.  
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Meh, what does he know anyway? /s

I do think he has a point about what people are likely to want.  If Apple can deliver that, and that's a big "if", even for Apple, they'll win.  If not, maybe they'll learn something the other guys haven't yet.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Those shows were terrible. By the sound of things with the upcoming shows, nothing really sounds interesting to me. I guess I will withhold judgement until I actually watch one of the new shows. 
    Apple is generally fairly responsive to consumer demands, so if they seriously continue to pursue their own productions, they’ll eventually have a very solid lineup.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    lkrupp said:
    Those shows were terrible. By the sound of things with the upcoming shows, nothing really sounds interesting to me. I guess I will withhold judgement until I actually watch one of the new shows. 
    That just means you are not the target audience. Have you ever considered the thought that your desires are not mainstream and are in the minority? What makes you think you are the arbiter of success? So many tech blog posters think they are the audience and what they want to see is the absolute measure of success. It’s like critics panning a movie only to see it succeed at the box office. It’s like the tech blogs declaring the Watch, the iPad, the iPhone as DOA and useless only to see them go on to dominate the market and sell wildly well. So what if you think Carpool Karaoke was “terrible”? 
    I don't claim to be the arbiter of success. I was just giving my personal opinion from watching the Apple event. Like I said, nothing sounded that interesting to me. Obviously my opinion could change once these shows are released. I'm going to give them all a try once they come out. With such a lack of information on these shows, not really sure who the target audience is. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    the monk said:
    Obviously, a lot of participants in video streaming. Most articles I read show the video streaming market at 17 to 19%. That shows it’s growing strong, but not yet saturated market. People had doubts about Apple Music, saying Spotify was in the lead. But they looked at the wrong numbers. Very few percentage had a music subscription, and Apple was able to pick on that population. Spotify is still in the lead, but they’re obviously worried as in the CEO is whining about the App Store again.
    Do you know how long it took to get to 20% market penetration on streaming 10 yrs, do you most new technologies are near saturation in 15 yrs, once people begin adaption. This show the market still not ready for prime time. the adoption rate is not fast of enough so people are not convince it is the way to do.

Spotify CEO know that EU is looking for any reason to go after non-EU company so they can fine them Billions to add to their shrinking economy. The more he complains the better chance the EU will fine Apple and allow his to have closed market in the EU.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I don't like the name. If Apple assumes people will drop the "Apple" and just call it "tvPlus" then it's fine.

Netflix
    Hulu
    Apple TV Plus.... just rolls off the tongue. /s

tyler82 said:

Steve Jobs died a long time ago dude. The meme is dead also.

AirPods, AppleWatch, ResearchKit, ApplePay, Apple TV Plus All failures!!! /s
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 31 of 31
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    The other thing that I don’t think people emphasize is that all it takes is one of the Apple shows to hit for Apple to stick a landing.

I held off from Hulu till the day I wanted to watch the Handmaid’s Tale and I am still subscribed.  I am sure for many Netflix subscribers it was Stranger Things, for HBO GOT, Amazon Prime Highcastle, CBS AA The Good Fight etc.

It just takes a single media offering to upend a dynamic.  WB is also correct...thanks to internet streaming, we have entered the golden age of television and movies are in decline.  He is also correct when he says there is only 24 hours in a day.  I feel that I could quit my job and life and do nothing but watch television all day long and still not get caught up.