Why you should pick up the 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro instead of the new iPad Air

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    RAM is important but its impact on the battery life too must be considered. Same for A10X vs A12...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Just a week ago I decided to pick up the 10.5 iPad Pro over the current model and I'm very pleased with it.
    After my research, I decided that while the newest iPad Pro 11 is a beautiful device I really couldn't justify the price with accessories and cellular and I'm a bit leary on the reports of the new iPads deforming.
    I purchased my 10.5 Pro on eBay for an amazing $686 fully loaded with the keyboard, pencil, cellular and 256GB all in original boxes and perfect condition.
    No warranty of course but I feel that the savings justified the risk and I'm very gentle with my electronics to begin with.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 809member
    apple ][ said:
    There have been some good deals recently on the 10.5 Pro, and I've been using a 10.5 Pro since it first was released, and yes, I definitely agree with the article. If anybody is considering getting the new Air, then getting the 10.5 Pro right now instead, while they still can, is the smart move to make. And when it comes to benchmarks not mentioned in the OP, the metal benchmark for the 10.5 Pro is quite a bit higher than on the new Air, judging by the A12 metal benchmark for the iPhone XS and XS Max.

There are so many other advantages and features found on the 10.5 Pro that makes it much better than the new Air, in my opinion. I'm sure that the new Air makes for a decent mid range iPad, that most people would be happy with, but it's no Pro and the overall experience of using a 10.5 Pro will be better and more pleasing.
    Ditto. I would still be using the 10.5” Pro which was my go to “computer.” Unfortunately the 11” and new 12.9” pro changed everything. Traded up to the 12.9”, it is simply hands down a joy to use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Household iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad regular (what is that now, 5th gen? I lose track) here. Previous iPad Airs and iPad 2's. We've never had WiFi issues, not at home, not at the office, not at about a million other locations here and in other countries.

The usual remedy for people who experience WiFi issues on any device is to completely clear the saved connections and set them up again from scratch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    ljm828312 said:
    I haven’t made a post on here in quite awhile because life kinda got in the way, but for me I bought the new 2019 iPad Air. For me it was all about price ( not that I can’t afford the 2017 or 2018 pro’s). I chose the Air because for me it had everything I want. Cellular whilst I’m on the go, the newer processor ( not that I need to have the newest Apple product every year ) but at least it’s a piece of mind that I probably would get maybe 2 more years outta it as far as iOS updates go. Mostly it was bought for more reading, streaming video, app development and every now and again web browsing as well beta testing. It’s my first iPad. It’s gonna be nice to have to use. Kinda gives my 2018 MacBook Air a rest every now and again. Sure you can get a great deal on the 2017 pro models. After all there 2 years old, not that there is anything wrong with that. Like the article stated you are still getting the best of what Apple has and what they and developers can throw at it. So I say, do your research. Get what you can afford or whatever your tastes may be. Just like me with all Apple products you won’t be disappointed.
    Agreed all the way 'round.  And no slowdown with Cloudflare VPN, BTW.

Written on my shiny new 2019 iPad Air.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tozzotozzo Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    It is never a good idea to buy something old... never. Regardless of the nominal items that are better, you can't get Applecare, and it is something from 2 years ago... old. Always get new, and skip the old things... Articles that promote this are foolish to say the least. I think they write them to make themselves seem knowledgeable or insightful.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    tozzo said:
    It is never a good idea to buy something old... never. Regardless of the nominal items that are better, you can't get Applecare, and it is something from 2 years ago... old. Always get new, and skip the old things... Articles that promote this are foolish to say the least. I think they write them to make themselves seem knowledgeable or insightful.
    If you buy a refurbished 10.5" iPad Pro off of Apple's website, it is eligible for Apple Care+
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I have to say I feel like the author really stretches to make his case on this. While he's certainly correct that the Pro Motion video and higher-quality screen on the 10.5 iPP are compelling arguments -- particularly given the sales price -- he way overblows the importance of four speakers (since most people quite correctly use headphones when outside the home, and don't cover up one of the two speakers on most iPads unless they are holding it very oddly) and discounts the improvements found in the A12 by pretending that raw benchmarks tell the entire story.

It is nothing short of deceptive to call the improvements in the A12 "slight" by comparison to the A10X, when in fact even the benchmarking shows it with a 20 percent all-around improvement, and that's ignoring (as the author does) the extremely significant contributions of the 8-core neural engine, the improvements in power efficiency (not even addressed in this article!), the significant improvement in the ISP for greater dynamic range in images, and big advancements in AR. All that contributes to the reason that the A12 as a whole is not 20 percent faster than it's predecessor the A11 (the successor to the A10X), but 50 percent faster in real-world use.

Certainly if you can find a bargain price on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro that makes it comparable or cheaper than the new iPad Air, and/or you really need the 120hz refresh rate, then yes, maybe you should go for it ... remembering that it will go unsupported years before a new iPad Air ... but given the price and power, the iPad Air is on nine out of 10 comparisons a clearly superior product for less money.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    joychjoych Posts: 5member
    Jcs2305 I don’t care what this site doesn’t address - just google iPad Pro dropping WiFi- the complaints go on for days.( it’s easy to deny what you don’t want to believe)
  • Reply 30 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    chasm said:
    I have to say I feel like the author really stretches to make his case on this. While he's certainly correct that the Pro Motion video and higher-quality screen on the 10.5 iPP are compelling arguments -- particularly given the sales price -- he way overblows the importance of four speakers (since most people quite correctly use headphones when outside the home, and don't cover up one of the two speakers on most iPads unless they are holding it very oddly) and discounts the improvements found in the A12 by pretending that raw benchmarks tell the entire story.

It is nothing short of deceptive to call the improvements in the A12 "slight" by comparison to the A10X, when in fact even the benchmarking shows it with a 20 percent all-around improvement, and that's ignoring (as the author does) the extremely significant contributions of the 8-core neural engine, the improvements in power efficiency (not even addressed in this article!), the significant improvement in the ISP for greater dynamic range in images, and big advancements in AR. All that contributes to the reason that the A12 as a whole is not 20 percent faster than it's predecessor the A11 (the successor to the A10X), but 50 percent faster in real-world use.

Certainly if you can find a bargain price on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro that makes it comparable or cheaper than the new iPad Air, and/or you really need the 120hz refresh rate, then yes, maybe you should go for it ... remembering that it will go unsupported years before a new iPad Air ... but given the price and power, the iPad Air is on nine out of 10 comparisons a clearly superior product for less money.
    I can accept that a ProMotion display and 4 speakers are not must-haves but nice-to-haves but at least the 10.5" iPad Air should have 4GB RAM.  That doesn't make a noticeable difference in terms of user experience and future-proofing.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    neilm said:
    Household iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad regular (what is that now, 5th gen? I lose track) here. Previous iPad Airs and iPad 2's. We've never had WiFi issues, not at home, not at the office, not at about a million other locations here and in other countries.

The usual remedy for people who experience WiFi issues on any device is to completely clear the saved connections and set them up again from scratch.

• Reply 32 of 33
    I have done the reset on connections- this does not work
  • Reply 33 of 33
    The 10.5" iPad Pro also has a lot of issues.. Unresponsive displays and the widespread whitespot above the home button. I'd rather go for a 9.7 Pro with no issues at all personally