2019 iPhone will charge AirPods Wireless Charging case, have larger battery

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2019
A new supply chain report from Ming-Chi Kuo declares that the 2019 iPhone lineup will boast two-way wireless charging, and has gone so far to name Apple's suppliers for the technology.

One mockup of a possible triple-lens design.
One mockup of a possible triple-lens design.

In Monday's report seen by AppleInsider, Ming-Chi Kuo talks about wireless charging, but this time, is naming names. New suppliers named for the bi-directional Qi charging said to be coming to the 2019 iPhone are Luxshare, an existing supplier, and Sunway -- a new entrant to Apple's supply lines for wireless charging.

STMicro is said to be on tap for the controlling circuitry, with a companion chip intended to boost charging efficiency provided by TI.

The batteries are said to grow by as much as 25 percent in the iPhone XS-sized model, with a similar power increase but lower volumetric increase of up to 15 percent for the iPhone XR. The extra volume is provided mostly by a new OLED screen laminate, with fewer needed layers than the existing models.

The iPhone XR replacement isn't expected to see a large battery size increase, growing by between 0 percent and 5 percent.

On February 17, Kuo predicted that the 2019 iPhone would be able to wirelessly charge other devices. Other technologies predicted are an ultra-wide band for indoor position location, and a triple-lens camera.

The analyst maintains that all 2019 iPhone models will retain a Lightning connector rather than adopt USB-C, as the iPad Pro range has. Also expected to BE retained are Apple's TrueDepth camera and an associated display notch.

TrueDepth may see an update with a higher-power flood illuminator for better Face ID recognition, Kuo said, while a new 6.1-inch LCD model might be upgraded to incorporate 4GB of RAM, up from the current 3GB in the iPhone XR.

Kuo has still not made remarks confirming a previous rumor that suggested iPhones will be getting a laser for rear-facing depth mapping. That could aid not just in photography but in augmented reality, though its effective range may be just 15 feet.

Rumors from the summer of 2018 about the 2019 iPhone suggested that the iPhone would shift to USB-C in 2019. USB-C on the iPhone in 2019 would shift all of Apple's mainline devices to the technology, allowing for one cable to be used across the entire lineup for data and charging, but would spark complaints about accessory incompatibility, like it did when Apple shifted from the 30-pin connector to Lightning in 2012.

Apple will most likely announce 2019 iPhones at a September press event, and ship them shortly after.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Another reason to cancel AirPower—sell the new iPhones instead! It’ll do the job!
    longpathracerhomie3forgot username
  • Reply 2 of 23
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Wow, if the iPhone can charge both the Apple Watch & airpods that would make it a wireless charger killer.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    The batteries are said to grow by as much as 25 percent in the iPhone XS-sized model, with a similar power increase but lower volumetric increase of up to 15 percent for the iPhone XR. The extra volume is provided mostly by a new OLED screen laminate, with fewer needed layers than the existing models.

The iPhone XR replacement isn't expected to see a large battery size increase, growing by between 0 percent and 5 percent.
    The sentence construction here is confusing. 

The 2019 XS successor will have the same dimensions, same display size, but will have 25% more battery capacity, about 3300 mAHr or 13 WHr? Primarily because the OLED panels will be thinner.

The 2019 XR successor will have the same dimensions, same display size, but will have less than 5% more battery capacity. Likely because the LCD panel will be the same as the 2019 model, even though you say “
    with a similar power increase but lower volumetric increase of up to 15 percent for the iPhone XR”. The way it reads is that the XR will have 25% larger battery, but it’s interl volume for the battery is only going up 15%, but in the end, the actual battery capacity for the XR won’t be changing at all. 5% is nothing to write home about.

All the X models could be thinner, so hopefully this means the XR successor will be thinner. I can see however, Apple wanting the XS model to have the same or better battery life than the XR so that the cheaper model doesn’t have the feature advantage of better battery runtime.

The inductive-out battery charging sounds like a pretty minor feature to me. I’ve never had a desire to charge my AirPods case. I want more AirPods runtime, but charging the case? No. If AirPods could last say 6 to 8 hours, or 5 to 7 hours after a couple of years, that’s a really good sweet spot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Didn't Ming-Chi Kuo say a couple of weeks ago that AirPower was imminent?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think this is a dumb gimmick and just copying Samesung!!! I've always been for Apple just making these iPhones a little thicker so there would be no need for a camera bump, which in turn gives a little more space for more battery. Because I think a larger percentage of iPhone users would like a larger battery. Apple makes the iPhone a little more energy efficient. You think great, the iPhone will last longer, but no, Apple at the same time just shrinks the battery right along with it even more so. In the end, just making Apple a even larger profit. I don't see much need for the iPhone to wireless charge Airpods. I think it's a feature few would even use.
    wattoukmacplusplusblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 6 of 23
    AirPower's failure is a direct result of poor leadership at Apple, something we've been seeing indications of for years.

What happened is very clear: a few years ago Apple was faced with the decision of adopting Qi or doing their own proprietary wireless charging from the ground up. Qi sucks, and the solutions on the market at the time were abysmal, so Apple had to be seriously considering the latter. But someone made the call to adopt Qi, which was the fastest and cheapest way to get wireless charging (of any kind) to the customer immediately....with the promise that they would build a proprietary layer on top of Qi to meet their standards for what wireless charging would be. Well that was a really bad bet, because 2 years on, they have failed and have now been forced to acknowledge that failure.

Now if Apple ever wants to achieve their vision, and the expectation of customers who demand better, they will have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch with wireless charging...like they should have done 2 years ago.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 7 of 23
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:
    I think this is a dumb gimmick and just copying Samesung!!! I've always been for Apple just making these iPhones a little thicker so there would be no need for a camera bump, which in turn gives a little more space for more battery. Because I think a larger percentage of iPhone users would like a larger battery. Apple makes the iPhone a little more energy efficient. You think great, the iPhone will last longer, but no, Apple at the same time just shrinks the battery right along with it even more so. In the end, just making Apple a even larger profit. I don't see much need for the iPhone to wireless charge Airpods. I think it's a feature few would even use.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I can’t see a common us case for charging another phone or an airpods case and depleting your phone. The airpods themselves, maybe. In fact it would be good, desirable even, for when you don’t have the case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    jbdragon said:
    We don’t need another unnecessarily expensive gadget bloated in featuritis parity with the Android world. 

Besides, it won’t work, because of efficiency problems. I cannot imagine an iPhone charging a Watch. Modifying the whole architecture to just give a couple of minutes more to AirPods would be ridiculous.

That rumour may be fake and Kuo may be promoting Samsung again by commenting about iPhone...

Long live the XR !...
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    urahara said:
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:
    The battery in the AirPods case lasts up to 24 hours. Why would you need to charge them off your iPhone? If you have to go that long, odds are your phone is dead, too.

From the first time I saw Samsung's reverse charge feature I've said it was a dumb gimmick. I don't know about Samsung's hearing-aid headphones, but with AirPods, the battery in the case makes this unnecessary. Beyond that, you can't effectively use your phone while reverse-charging, doing so sucks battery from your phone when many people have trouble getting their phone battery to last long enough, and to top it off, you lose energy in the charging process. Lose-lose-lose.
    StrangeDaysforgot usernameblurpbleepbloopwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Another reason to cancel AirPower—sell the new iPhones instead! It’ll do the job!
    Not really, they’re very different use cases.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jbdragon said:
    I think this is a dumb gimmick and just copying Samesung!!! 
    Then you don’t understand mass produced product development very well. The 2019 phone isn’t being designed only now, responding to and copying Samsung’s recent announcement.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    AirPower's failure is a direct result of poor leadership at Apple, something we've been seeing indications of for years.

What happened is very clear: a few years ago Apple was faced with the decision of adopting Qi or doing their own proprietary wireless charging from the ground up. Qi sucks, and the solutions on the market at the time were abysmal, so Apple had to be seriously considering the latter. But someone made the call to adopt Qi, which was the fastest and cheapest way to get wireless charging (of any kind) to the customer immediately....with the promise that they would build a proprietary layer on top of Qi to meet their standards for what wireless charging would be. Well that was a really bad bet, because 2 years on, they have failed and have now been forced to acknowledge that failure.

Now if Apple ever wants to achieve their vision, and the expectation of customers who demand better, they will have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch with wireless charging...like they should have done 2 years ago.
    What absolute nonsense. You don’t know anything of the sort. I don’t either, but what Gruber seems to indicate on his podcast is engineering difficulties that someone was optimistic about but turned out to be insurmountable. That isn’t poor leadership, that’s just engineering. 
    fastasleeproundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member

Apple came out with a non-Qi wireless charging solution (for Apple Watch) FIRST.  They could have extended that to the iPhone, but didn't.

I think that part of the problem with AirPower might be related to supporting both Qi and Apple Watch charging at each of the three target locations, but that is just a guess.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:
    The battery in the AirPods case lasts up to 24 hours. Why would you need to charge them off your iPhone? If you have to go that long, odds are your phone is dead, too.

From the first time I saw Samsung's reverse charge feature I've said it was a dumb gimmick. I don't know about Samsung's hearing-aid headphones, but with AirPods, the battery in the case makes this unnecessary. Beyond that, you can't effectively use your phone while reverse-charging, doing so sucks battery from your phone when many people have trouble getting their phone battery to last long enough, and to top it off, you lose energy in the charging process. Lose-lose-lose.
    You can use the reverse wireless charging while your device is charging via USB-C (dual charging). In the case of Samsung, you can use this to charge your watch, wireless earbuds or even another person's phone while plugged in. Of course, now all you need is a single USB-C cable.

It's also worth noting that the earbuds or watch have relatively small batteries and won't drain your phone too much even when topping up on the go.

Nothing about this is a "dumb gimmick", it's actually quite useful once you understand the applications.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 23
    iPhone with a larger battery? April Fools!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:

You can use the reverse wireless charging while your device is charging via USB-C (dual charging). In the case of Samsung, you can use this to charge your watch, wireless earbuds or even another person's phone while plugged in. Of course, now all you need is a single USB-C cable.

It's also worth noting that the earbuds or watch have relatively small batteries and won't drain your phone too much even when topping up on the go.

Nothing about this is a "dumb gimmick", it's actually quite useful once you understand the applications.
    If all you need to do is 'top off' your AirPods, that can be done in 15-20 minutes with a lightning cable. My gen3 apple watch routinely gets 2 days of use on a single charge, so  the likelihood of me needing to top it off is quite low as well. 

The one scenario where I can see this being useful is if you're traveling and forget to bring your watch charger, beyond that, I stand by my original assessment of useless gimmick. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    jbdragon said:
    Why do folks not understand that design for the new iPhone doesn’t start when the newest Samusung phone is released. Apple introduced this type of device charging with the newest iPad Pro and Apple pencil 2. So Copying Samsung with this type of charging doesn’t seem like it would be the case here. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

MplsP said:
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:

If all you need to do is 'top off' your AirPods, that can be done in 15-20 minutes with a lightning cable. My gen3 apple watch routinely gets 2 days of use on a single charge, so  the likelihood of me needing to top it off is quite low as well. 

The one scenario where I can see this being useful is if you're traveling and forget to bring your watch charger, beyond that, I stand by my original assessment of useless gimmick. 
    So not a single other person of the millions of iPhone users would find this functionality useful because you don’t. Got it.  ;)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:
    urahara said:
    Do you have AirPods?
    jbdragon said:

When you have a pencil you don’t spend millions to create a ballpoint pen that would function in space. The  scenario you describe has many ridiculously cheaper solutions, it doesn’t need the creation of a brand new tech, this is not progress. In contrast, the magnetic charging of Pencil 2 and the Watch are progress, because those are unique solutions for charging that provide reduction in size and portability.
    watto_cobra