Broken screen on macbook pro 2017

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I have a 15in MacBook pro with Touch Bar I bought back in early 2017, in all I spent just under 3k. I had to have the keyboard replaced last summer. & I recently broke the screen I purchased it before apple care + came out so I am on the hook for all repairs. I haven’t brought it in to apple yet ( I live 2 hours away from the closet one). I did bring it to a local repair shop for a “estimate” and it would be around $900. That’s just the screen & if nothing else is wrong. It charges, makes sound, all the c ports seem to be working properly & the caps light comes on. I tried to hook it up via Cport >HDMI > TV but unfortunately that didn’t work.  Idk if that means there’s more issues or if something else has to be undone to be able to use a display. Its been broken for some time, I just don’t wanna deal with it.  But right now it’s just a fancy paper weight.  I’ve looked into just parting it out on eBay which would be a HUGE loss. & I’ve had a new suggestions from the office in which I took it to.   Any suggestions, ideas or advise would be great! Idk what to do with it. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Mandddar said:
    I tried to hook it up via Cport >HDMI > TV but unfortunately that didn’t work.  Idk if that means there’s more issues or if something else has to be undone to be able to use a display. Its been broken for some time, I just don’t wanna deal with it.  But right now it’s just a fancy paper weight.  I’ve looked into just parting it out on eBay which would be a HUGE loss. & I’ve had a new suggestions from the office in which I took it to.   Any suggestions, ideas or advise would be great! Idk what to do with it. 
    If you have home contents insurance, check if it covers accidental damage.
    When you connect the laptop to the TV, does it change the display at all or does the TV see no input? Check you selected the right HDMI input on the TV. There's a keyboard shortcut (command-F1, you might have to use fn-command-F1) to switch the laptop display mode to mirror the display: http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/27/mirror-display-mac-keyboard-shortcut/
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MandddarMandddar Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    it doesn’t show anything on the tv, I’ll have to give it another go with those commands.