Apple Card will be the most secure credit card ever, and here's why

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Yet, no mention of battery life or proprietary cables.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    elfig2012 said:
    Is this objective reporting or a Apple commercial?

Are you new here? lol
    chemengin
  • Reply 43 of 51

flydog said:

maltz said:
    So... if you just change the number in your Apple Pay wallet and don't get a new card after fraudulent activity, how does this work for magstripe skimmers?  Just because it's not printed on the card, doesn't mean the card doesn't have an immutable number on the magstripe, and skimmers are a very common form of CC fraud.
    Apple hasn't stated that this card will eliminate all credit card fraud on Earth. 
    Oh look, a new troll has been born. How precious. 

Well, I don't think @flydog is a troll. I've seen him swing both ways!

The post that you quoted is just a response to a query about how Apple will eliminate skimming the magstrip. It wasn't really trolling anything.

chemenginmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    However, if that happens, you can just turn off Apple Card and stop it being used. Go to Find My iPhone on another device or on icloud.com and remove the card.

You can already do this today with whatever credit cards you have registered on Apple Pay on your device. Except you can only remove them from Apple Pay....
    How exactly can you remove a card from ApplePay using "Find My Phone" or iCloud.com?
    I would guess you could do it using a second Apple device, but I have not seen this on Find My Phone.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    However, if that happens, you can just turn off Apple Card and stop it being used. Go to Find My iPhone on another device or on icloud.com and remove the card.

You can already do this today with whatever credit cards you have registered on Apple Pay on your device. Except you can only remove them from Apple Pay....
    How exactly can you remove a card from ApplePay using "Find My Phone" or iCloud.com?
    I would guess you could do it using a second Apple device, but I have not seen this on Find My Phone.
    Well, I removed all my cards (unintentionally) by signing out of my Apple ID on my iPhone.  When I signed back in all my credit cards had disappeared.  Is this a feature?  🤨
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 46 of 51
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I wish Apple had required a 5 or 6-digit PIN to be used with any use of the physical card. That's common for most purchases with a debit card, and I'd like that for my credit cards.

Still the Card will be my primary card. I really like the Wallet app that will be used with it. I like the real time immediacy it provides with managing my money. I don't tend to flaunt my kit or fish for compliments, but I am looking forward to using it for lunches and dinners and getting WF is this looks from servers. "We don't take Diners Club". LOL Without a card logo, card number, CCV, and signature space (I don't sign my cards) nobody will know it's a Master Card ("Good everywhere") until they know.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    tjwolf said:
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    If only the general population cared about privacy and security. They don’t. When something bad happens they expect to be made whole by their bank, their credit card company, somebody. So why care about privacy and security if there’s no real risk and no incentive to act?
    It don't think it is that they don't care - it is that they are willing to give it up for perceived value. 

In the US, the entire risk of fraud is on the bank. Debtors need be reasonably diligent, but the FCRA protects consumers. And banks write off the losses as a cost of doing business. At 20%+ interest, this is easy to do. 

I saw an odd purchase on a card once. It was like $8, but just didn't recognize the address. So I called the bank. The clerk looked it up, and said, "I see that. I'll reverse the charge." I said, "no, i likely bought that, I just don't recognize the location. Tell me the address and name of the business." The clerk audibly sighed and said, "we are instructed to not spend time getting this information. It is faster to just reverse the charge." and essentially got to the "has this resolved your issue" part of the script and essentially hung up.

I image there is a record of this, and the system flags people trying to get a lot of free coffee.

I find this pretty hard to believe - not saying that it didn't happen to you, but that it's hard for me to believe.  In 30+ years of card ownership, unauthorized charges have happened to me literally a few dozen times.  The bank *never* just offered to reverse the charges - there was always a dispute form to be filled out.  But the last such occurrence was a good 5 years ago, so maybe things have gotten more lax?
    My guess is that it was because the charge was under $10. The bank might have a policy that if the disputed charge is under a certain amount, it is more cost-effective just to reverse the charge.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    JWSC said:

Well, I removed all my cards (unintentionally) by signing out of my Apple ID on my iPhone.  When I signed back in all my credit cards had disappeared.  Is this a feature?  🤨
    Yes. If you have to sign out of iCloud in settings for any reason you will have to re enter credit cards. https://www.google.com/search?q=sign+out+of+icloud&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
  • Reply 49 of 51
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    elfig2012 said:
    Is this objective reporting or a Apple commercial?

Apple doesn't pay reporters ad money.

Troll again. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 50 of 51
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I think a lot of people in the UK and Europe watching this announcement didn’t really see anything particularly innovative here. I already have a card that shows me graphs of my spending, generates a new card number for every transaction, is contactless, shows the location and type of transaction (restaurant, supermarket, etc), has live chat support in the app, sends me a notification to approve or contest suspicious transactions, and even offers a metal card for a fee, but it’s a prepay card. I think Apple has done a good job (as always) of taking the good ideas that are already out there and bringing them together. It’s surprising how far behind the US is when it comes to credit / debit cards when you’re usually ahead of the curve in so many areas (I’m always shocked when I visit some parts of the US when I’m asked to actually sign something to pay when I’m used to chip and pin or contactless everywhere, I haven’t been asked to sign in the UK or Europe for as long as I can remember), but Apple will drive things forward with this one I think. The only thing I haven’t seen before is not putting the card number on the card itself. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 51 of 51
    ernern Posts: 1member
    Hi
    The Headline "Apple card will be the most secure credit card ever, and here's why" is not correct
    This is a view from USA perspective and not what the rest of the world already can do
    In The UK I have had functionality like this Apple card for years
    My UK credit card will notify me the instant I make a purchase anywhere in the world, with a map of where I purchased
    It will also convert the currency at the commercial conversion rate with no fee
    I can instantly put a hold/pause on the card at anytime with an app on either iOS or Android if I think I have lost the card and reinstate when I find the card
    My card does have a number on it but I can still make transactions online with a "one use only number if I so wish" so that if I make a purchase in a store I have not used or know I have the added safety
    As far as I understand it the Apple card does have a number its just not printed on the card - I can also get a card without a number on it I wanted. Its something they introduced about 6 months ago
    This functionality is all provided in the iOS / Android app so I am not tied to a specific platform. Apple pay and Android pay built in
    I can also have the app on both an iOS and Android at the same time
    The app does a good job of analysing where when and what I spend my money with auto categorisation 
    All the functionality of this Apple card is already available and in use