Pixelmator Photo arrives next week on iPad, available for preorder now

Posted:
in iPad
After being highlighted onstage at Apple's iPad Pro special event last fall, Pixelmator Photo will be released next week, and customers can get their preorder in right now on the iOS App Store.

Pixelmator Photo preorder
Pixelmator Photo preorder

The developers behind the popular image editing application Pixelmator are planning to release their new iPad app, Pixelmator Photo, April 9.

Pixelmator Photo aims to provide all of the tools needed to perform desktop-class alterations to photographs directly on Apple's tablet. The app first appeared during Apple's iPad Pro event, where it was demoed on stage for taking advantage of the power of Apple's high-end tablets. For example, the app makes special use of machine learning technology, accessed through Apple's Core ML, for adjustments and cropping.

Foundational adjustments to brightness, exposure and saturation will be offered alongside other modifiable properties, such as levels, curves, gain and many others. The newly added "Repair and Crop" tool will allow users to make more substantial changes to create the perfect image, such as by removing blemishes or even entire objects from the scene.

Pixelmator Photo
Pixelmator Photo

Unlike Pixelmator Pro for macOS, Pixelmator Photo will focus primarily on adjusting photographs and supporting RAW formats from over 500 cameras. All editing will be non-destructive, keeping the original intact.

Those who are interested can preorder Pixelmator Photo for iPad on the App Store for $3.99. Once released, the app will automatically download and install on a user's iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Will you have a review compared this to Lightroom for iPad and Infinity?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It's unfortunate the app is not compatible with the iPad Air 2 as Affinity has been for a long time now. I have found Pixelmator useful for quick, on the fly stuff but as Affinity Photo can do pretty much everything it's no great loss I suppose. I certainly can't afford to upgrade my gear anytime soon. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's unfortunate the app is not compatible with the iPad Air 2 as Affinity has been for a long time now. I have found Pixelmator useful for quick, on the fly stuff but as Affinity Photo can do pretty much everything it's no great loss I suppose. I certainly can't afford to upgrade my gear anytime soon. Thanks.
    Maybe it's just not powerful enough anymore.

I used to have an iPad Air 2 and it was great for its time, but it was released almost 4.5 years ago and it was discontinued 2 years ago. Old devices are still useful for many tasks but they are not going to be able to keep up with new software and apps that are demanding.
    escargot