iWork app updates coming with improved Apple Pencil support and new iOS features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    crowley said:
    Keep Keynote, kill the other two tbh.  Especially Numbers, it's awful.
    I disagree. Pages is far superior to Word in so many respects, especially when it comes to page layout. It's absolutely no replacement for InDesign, but for the sorts of documents I write, using Word is like stepping back to 1998. As for Numbers, Excel still beats it in terms of crunching data, however Numbers makes for much better looking reports and graphs. Having independent sheets and charts on a page with absolute control of the placement of both is great.

Add to that the superiority of Keynote over PowerPoint and I generally feel that using MS Office is akin to tying my hands behind my back and typing with my nose. Yes, Office integrates better with other apps and has support for live data, but its ability to make good looking documents and presentations is light years behind iWork.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    crowley said:
    Keep Keynote, kill the other two tbh.  Especially Numbers, it's awful.
    I disagree. Pages is far superior to Word in so many respects, especially when it comes to page layout. It's absolutely no replacement for InDesign, but for the sorts of documents I write, using Word is like stepping back to 1998. As for Numbers, Excel still beats it in terms of crunching data, however Numbers makes for much better looking reports and graphs. Having independent sheets and charts on a page with absolute control of the placement of both is great.

Add to that the superiority of Keynote over PowerPoint and I generally feel that using MS Office is akin to tying my hands behind my back and typing with my nose. Yes, Office integrates better with other apps and has support for live data, but its ability to make good looking documents and presentations is light years behind iWork.
    The difference is that office is taylored to heavy duty work, while iWork is taylored to much smaller projects. While Word is unabashedly a word processor, with extra features, Pages is trying to be a publishing program, but doesn’t quite make it.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Like most others, I also use Microsoft Office at work. 

But iWorks is just so much easier to use! I think I use 10% of the functionality in Office. And designing a page layout in Word is not intuitive at all. With Pages, it’s so much easier. 

And it’s the same with Numbers and Keynote - especially Keynote. So easy to use compared to PowerPoint. 

Oh, and btw: You need a subscription to use Office on the bigger and/or newer iPads. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    Their strategy will never lead to mass adoption (and enterprise adoption) unless they put their 3 apps into context of a more elaborate group collaboration system such as GSuite.  

Why should you even bother with iWork, if at work or on schools everyone uses MS or a Google suited that offer so much more, even though their word processors are less design focused? 
    To make birthday cards using templates?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 25 of 27
    DAalseth said:
    Looking forward to these. I do hope the next update of iWork for macOS fixes the spell checking bug in Pages. For over a year now it highlights the misspelled word, but won't suggest a replacement. There's multiple threads on AppleSupport, and other places around the web about this issue, but nobody has been able to fix it. The ball is in Apple's court.
    Are you only seeing this in Pages? I see this system-wide. Words that are spelled correctly (usually simple words, such as "it") get the red underline. It drives me nuts…
    Keep in mind that Pages uses the red underline for spell-check and grammar-check. Make certain your singular-plural joining are correct.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    DAalseth said:
    Looking forward to these. I do hope the next update of iWork for macOS fixes the spell checking bug in Pages. For over a year now it highlights the misspelled word, but won't suggest a replacement. There's multiple threads on AppleSupport, and other places around the web about this issue, but nobody has been able to fix it. The ball is in Apple's court.
    Are you only seeing this in Pages? I see this system-wide. Words that are spelled correctly (usually simple words, such as "it") get the red underline. It drives me nuts…
    Keep in mind that Pages uses the red underline for spell-check and grammar-check. Make certain your singular-plural joining are correct.
    Pages uses red to underline spelling errors... it uses blue to underline grammar mistakes IF you have the grammar checker activated.