Beats $249 Powerbeats Pro boast "Hey Siri" support, shipping in May

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Beats has launched its Powerbeats Pro wireless earphones, the brand's first foray into completely wire-free earphones that offers the same benefits of Apple's AirPods but in a design that is more useful for listening while working out or playing sports.

Launched on Wednesday, the Powerbeats Pro are Bluetooth earphones that clip around the ear using earhooks, allowing them to be worn more securely while the user is in motion. As well as being designed for an active lifestyle, the Powerbeats Pro also offer sweat and water resistance, are reinforced to stand up to the rigors of usage, and are smaller and lighter than their predecessor.

Both earpieces offer identical physical volume and track controls, with long and short-range optical sensors automatically playing and pausing music and dealing with call handling, simply by wearing or removing each earpiece. There is no power button, but the earphones are able to automatically enter a sleep mode if the motion detection system believes they are left alone or idling and not worn.

Taking advantage of the same H1 chip used in AirPods, the Powerbeats Pro boast superior cross-body Bluetooth performance, pairing by opening up the carrying case, and support for "Hey Siri" vocal prompts with Apple's digital assistant.

Battery life for the Powerbeats Pro is claimed to be up to nine hours per earbud, and more than 24 hours of combined playback when using the built-in battery of the magnetic closure case, used to recharge the earphones. The fast-charging "Fast Fuel" facility means users will be able to get an hour and a half of usages after just five minutes of charging, and up to 4.5 hours of usage after 15 minutes of charging.

While AirPods benefit from the wireless charging case, Beats has opted to use a cable to recharge the case itself, and supplies a Lightning-to-USB-A cable in the box. Also included are four pairs of eartips in a variety of sizes, allowing the accessories to better fit the user's ear canal.

Shipping in May in the United States and 20 other countries, the Powerbeats Pro will be offered in Black, Ivory, Moss, and Navy color options, priced at $249.95. Aside from the US, the initial launch list of countries includes Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

More countries and regions will see launches of the accessory in the summer or fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    No health sensors, got it.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member
    I don't understand why Apple created these when they have the Air Pods? Also how are these new PowerBeats Pro charged up?

• Reply 3 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    LordeHawk said:
    No health sensors, got it.
    Never expected health sensors. Health sensors are against brand, as Beats are more street-fashion & sports oriented. Apple's primary brand is the more likely place to see health apparatus. 
    doozydozenpatchythepirateronn
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    HenryDJP said:
    I don't understand why Apple created these when they have the Air Pods? Also how are these new PowerBeats Pro charged up?

Umm, different consumer use cases. As stated in the first sentence, "in a design that is more useful for listening while working out or playing sports."
    razorpitdoozydozenalbegarcronn
  • Reply 5 of 34
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Apple is going to dominate the headphones. 
    dewmeronn
  • Reply 6 of 34
    These should have been USB-C instead of lightning.  Beats is an ecosystem agnostic brand.  Using a proprietary charging method doesn't make sense.  It only makes sense in a cost saving/component sharing scenario where the PBP's and the AirPods share some components and the volume drives the component pricing lower.  

I like the look.  I like the color choices.  I like the in-ear style.  Price is high, but that won't matter for long.  By Black Friday they'll be $100 off.  Just like the current versions that are going for $99.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    HenryDJP said:
    How about this? I can't use AirPods because they earbud-style phones both don't feel comfortable or sound great, but in-earphones do on both counts, not to mention all the benefits Mike1 mentioned.
    razorpitronn
  • Reply 8 of 34
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member
    mike1 said:
    HenryDJP said:

Umm, different consumer use cases. As stated in the first sentence, "in a design that is more useful for listening while working out or playing sports."
    The Air Pods are used often under those circumstances. I see people at the gym daily and running outside with the Air Pods. True they have a higher chance of falling out but it just seems as though Apple is creating redundancy with these PowerBeats Pro earbuds and they will compete against each other. Both are Apple's products. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I may be missing something, but it doesn't look like the case can charge wirelessly. Seems like a huge omission for new-to-the-market "completely wire free" $249 headphones made by the same company that makes other headphones that have a wireless charging case (at $50 less cost)...
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    HenryDJP said:
    mike1 said:
    HenryDJP said:

The Air Pods are used often under those circumstances. I see people at the gym daily and running outside with the Air Pods. True they have a higher chance of falling out but it just seems as though Apple is creating redundancy with these PowerBeats Pro earbuds and they will compete against each other. Both are Apple's products. 
    So, adding a model that further serves the needs of some users is a bad thing? To paraphrase Steve Jobs (I believe) " If you a aren't willing cannibalize your own sales, somebody else will."
    minicoffeeStrangeDaysstompyronndesignr
  • Reply 11 of 34
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Loops and huge? Pass. AirPods are great and hopefully will be even better next year, when there is a true v2.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 12 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Appleish said:
    Loops and huge? Pass. AirPods are great and hopefully will be even better next year, when there is a true v2.
    Actually pretty small considering everything they have inside of them. Took two years to get gen 2 AirPods, wouldn't be completely surprised it takes another 2 for gen 3.
    StrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Appleish said:
    Well, we waited 2 years for the first revision to AirPods - not so certain there is going to be a follow up for next year (though Apple is surely working on the next gen). Doesn’t seem like a product they will quickly revise just like AppleTV hardware.
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Definite pass with ear hooks. It’s either wear these Powerbeats Pros or wear my glasses. Not doing both, and I really need my glasses.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    They look awesome on ear. They will probably have that rich Beats sound (without being overly crazy on the bass). And the in ear cups keep out outside sounds away (which is necessary on the London tube which is louder than an F-15 at take off). Love them already....
    rezwitsronn
  • Reply 16 of 34
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    wreighven said:
    I may be missing something, but it doesn't look like the case can charge wirelessly. Seems like a huge omission for new-to-the-market "completely wire free" $249 headphones made by the same company that makes other headphones that have a wireless charging case (at $50 less cost)...
    "...more than 24 hours of combined playback when using the built-in battery of the magnetic closure case" seems to indicate that the case charges.
    ronn
  • Reply 17 of 34
    maccaguymaccaguy Posts: 70member
    Since AirPods won’t stay in my wife’s ears, and she likes her PowerBeats3s (except for the design flaw that they can’t stand sweat), she’s already ready for these!
    Japheyronn
  • Reply 18 of 34
    sflagel said:
    wreighven said:
    "...more than 24 hours of combined playback when using the built-in battery of the magnetic closure case" seems to indicate that the case charges.
    Sflagel, thanks for the reply.  If you read my post closer though, you'll see I'm asking about the case's ability to be charged wirelessly.  I am well aware the case can charge the headphones.  My point is I don't think the case can be charged wirelessly by a wireless charger.  I think you have to use the Lightning connector to charge the case...
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 19 of 34
    albegarcalbegarc Posts: 50member
    Hopefully these earbuds are better than the powerbeats 3. I had them for almost a year and honestly it was a bad experience. I had them replaced 4 times, while the warranty was valid it was ok, but I sold the last replacement 3 months before the warranty was due. Since then I have used other
    brands like Bose and currently I use a Jaybird Run and honestly they are great.
    edited April 2019 aknabi
  • Reply 20 of 34
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    HenryDJP said:

Sweat, for sure. I haven't used my Airpods on a summer run, but running with the old wired ones the speakers would eventually get wet and sound bad until they dried out. I'm not worried about wrecking wired pods, but definitely concerned with Airpods. I fried some wired Sonys.  I also worry about them falling. While they have never fallen and I have hopped around and shaken my head trying, I still get nervous when running around water, on a bridge, etc just because of the cost. The hooked design of these may even make me feel safe enough to wear them on a boat.
    ronn