Apple & Beats Powerbeats Pro coming soon, announces Hollywood billboard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Powerbeats Pro, a take on Apple's AirPods wireless headphones concept by Apple-owned Beats, has been spotted in pre-launch advertising in Hollywood.

Beats Powerbeats Pro advertising in Hollywood (via 9to5mac)
Beats Powerbeats Pro advertising in Hollywood (via 9to5mac)

Reports of the Apple-owned Beats gearing up to launch its own take on the AirPods concept surfaced in late March, following the announcement of a second-generation model of AirPods. While there have been rumors and leaks, including images and an animation buried in iOS 12.2, Apple has yet to officially confirm the existence of the product.

Advertising for the Powerbeats Pro has been spotted in the intersection of Sunset and Vine in Hollywood, consisting of a vertical banner on the corner of a building as well as a more traditional billboard. Both marketing images showcase the lighter-colored version of the earphones on a dark background, while the text simply declares it as "Totally wireless."

Largely based around the design of the Powerbeats3, the Powerbeats Pro is pretty similar in overall concept to the AirPods, in being two separate earpieces that connect via Bluetooth, without requiring a connecting cord between the two sections as used by many Bluetooth headphones. It is likely the accessories will use the H1 chip, introduced in the second-generation AirPods to provide a more power-efficient operation and new features like "Hey Siri" support.

It is probable some potential AirPods users will be drawn to the Powerbeats Pro due to being more suited for fitness applications. The use of earhooks instead of relying on buds fitting snuggly in the ear canal is likely to make them more secure to wear during sports or fast movements.

A release date for the Powerbeats Pro has yet to be confirmed, but the appearance in iOS 12.2 and advertising suggests a launch will be happening soon.

The advertising was first reported by 9to5Mac, spotted by a reader identified as "Jonathan."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    I personally cannot wait for these. I love my Powerbeats 3, and they are still going strong nearly 2 years later. Battery life is rock solid, connection is awesome, sound is amazing, and noise isolation is something I absolutely need. I don't use these to talk on the phone or walking down busy city streets. My use is at the gym, on an airplane, mowing the grass, etc., and noise isolation to dull the ambient noise of those situations is a must. I will most likely be buying these day and date of announcement.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    They are "totally wireless" but a wire is needed to charge them. New use of the word "totally" that I was not familiar with.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    eightzero said:
    They are "totally wireless" but a wire is needed to charge them. New use of the word "totally" that I was not familiar with.
    There is going to be a wire somewhere along the line, so I guess nothing is truly wireless in your definition. Even wireless charging mats: guess what, there's a wire that plugs into the wall! The fact that I won't have that cord bouncing around and getting stuck on my sweaty neck during a workout is going to worth the upgrade alone. Can't wait for these!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    eightzero said:
    That is not how the vernacular works. If they can be used without a wire, they are wireless. Charging mechanism during non-use aren't relevant to the claim. Wireless devices such as mobile phones use wires when charging too. 
    edited April 2019 fruitstandninjaroundaboutnowminicoffeeAppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    60% of the US population wears glasses so I presume any model with a clip over the ear won't work for us (as some people claim). There are also some of us who can't wear AirPod-shaped items because they just fall out of our ears within seconds. So those of use with defective eyes (60%) and defective ears (20%?) are stuck with headsets that go over the head. Hopefully Apple will treat those of us who are both ocularly and aurally handicapped with another solution that includes the H1 chip.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    AirPods are doomed!