iPhones get second overseas price cut in a week, this time in India

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's Indian resellers are reportedly slashing the cost of the iPhone XR starting this Friday, marking the second time this week iPhones have seen price cuts in foreign markets.

iPhone XR

The cost of a 64-gigabyte iPhone XR will shrink from 76,900 to 59,900 rupees, or from about $1,123 to $875, Gadgets 360 said on Wednesday. In the U.S., the same phone would be $749 before tax.

128 gigabyte models will drop to 64,900 rupees ($948), and 256 gigabytes to 74,900 ($1,094). Previously a top-of-the-line XR cost the equivalent of $1,343 in the country, much higher than the $899 cap in the U.S.

Those higher capacities will be even cheaper for for HDFC debit and credit card holders thanks to a 10 percent cashback promotion -- putting 128 gigabytes at 58,400 rupees ($853), and 256 gigabytes at 67,400 ($985).

The new prices are said to be closer to two of the XR's main rivals in India, the Samsung Galaxy S10e and OnePlus 6T.

Earlier this week Apple reduced the price of iPhones, iPads, and other products in China, likely in response to the country's value-added tax (VAT) dropping from 16 percent to 13 percent. It's also under pressure to revive Chinese revenues however, which fell 26.7 percent in the December quarter primarily because of cheaper local smartphone brands.

Apple's Indian smartphone marketshare is currently sitting around 1 percent, in no small part because new iPhones are often far too expensive for the average person, especially with import fees. The company has resorted to building and selling older models locally, such as the iPhone 7 and X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    As I mentioned in another thread, XR prices have been cut in Spain but in campaigns from large nationwide authorized resellers. I wonder if similar campaigns are underway in the rest of Europe. The cuts were originally promoted as limited to two days but have extended beyond those two days.

The Christmas trade-in promotions were also listed as 'limited time only' but four months later, are still being promoted on Apple Spain's front page.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    But the sales decline wasn't anything to do with price remember...
    s.metcalfCarnagechemenginLatko
  • Reply 3 of 21
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Way to go Apple!
    chemengin
  • Reply 4 of 21
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Hopefully this will help with the bottom line for this current quarter when Apple reports in late July.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 142member
    Closer to 50K for the latest generation phone is more realistic. Who knows they might even double their share to ... 2% :wink:. The price though, is still too high for me personally to bite..
  • Reply 6 of 21
    What next? An DED article - in AI - attacking AI - for propagating false propaganda of price cuts? That would be royal fun, no?
    chemenginavon b7spice-boy
  • Reply 7 of 21
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    What next? An DED article - in AI - attacking AI - for propagating false propaganda of price cuts? That would be royal fun, no?
    They are getting rid of tariffs by manufacturing there. There is a huge difference.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    They are getting rid of tariffs by manufacturing there. There is a huge difference.
    Sorry. No single commercial handset yet manufactured there (test runs only...)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    bala1234 said:
    Closer to 50K for the latest generation phone is more realistic... The price though, is still too high for me personally to bite..

Foxconn is apparently just weeks away from commencing trial production of the iPhone X series of phones: https://swarajyamag.com/insta/technology-boost-to-make-in-india-apple-to-start-production-of-iphone-x-range-in-tamil-nadu

Theoretically, that should help Apple do away with the 20% import duty currently levied. So, your wish may be close to fulfillment.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Latko said:
    Incorrect. iPhone 6 has been manufactured and is being sold since several months.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Latko said:
    Incorrect. iPhone 6 has been manufactured and is being sold since several months.
    And iPhone SE as well. But that is besides the point, because this article is about iPhone XR. It is NOT YET manufactured in India, but still got a huge price cut, contrary to what DED would want the entire world to believe in. 
    edited April 2019 elijahg
  • Reply 12 of 21
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    wow some of you are genuinely concerned for Apple, awww how cute. 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Latko said:
    And iPhone SE as well. But that is besides the point, because this article is about iPhone XR. It is NOT YET manufactured in India, but still got a huge price cut, contrary to what DED would want the entire world to believe in. 
    It does seem that Apple is ignoring DED’s advice once again. Shame on them. 
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Not really. It’s reducing the retail price and it comes at a price as well, the cost of setting all this up. 
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 15 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    They've not done anything with the tariffs yet. Only a couple of old handsets are being manufactured in India at the moment AFAIK and I'm not sure those units are already for sale there or even avoid tariffs if they do. The price drop was not due to tariffs being avoided.

Apple is actually dropping quite a few prices around the world.
    Example: Want an Apple Music subscription in India? You're in luck as Apple just yesterday dropped the price all the way down to $1.43/mo (US dollars) or $2.17 for the whole family.

"but what about the artists?"
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    They've not done anything with the tariffs yet. Only a couple of old handsets are being manufactured in India at the moment AFAIK and I'm not sure those units are already for sale there or even avoid tariffs if they do. The price drop was not due to tariffs being avoided.

Example: Want an Apple Music subscription in India? You're in luck as Apple just yesterday dropped the price all the way down to $1.43/mo (US dollars) or $2.17 for the whole family.

Those old handsets (iPhone SE and iPhone 6) are already available for sale here in India. Recently, there were articles around starting the iPhone 7 assembling here in India. And I do think they avoid tariffs, because they are relatively priced lower (Rs. 17,000 for iPhone SE, equivalent of ~$250).
  • Reply 17 of 21
    gatorguy said:

Those old handsets (iPhone SE and iPhone 6) are already available for sale here in India. Recently, there were articles around starting the iPhone 7 assembling here in India. And I do think they avoid tariffs, because they are relatively priced lower (Rs. 17,000 for iPhone SE, equivalent of ~$250).
    Do you think they are statue items over there? The SE I mean. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    asdasd said:
    gatorguy said:

In India, the preference is for Large, Extra Large, Extra Extra Large phones for most of the people since the smartphone is the only computer owned by them. And when it comes to screen real estate, the larger the better since it is the only device a person would own. In this backdrop, SE might not be doing as well as it could in India, compared to any other market. iPhone SE is an excellent phone, just not fit for the needs of the majority of people in my country.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    asdasd said:
    gatorguy said:

Probably meant "stature".  Autocorrect at work... :)
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    asdasd said:
    gatorguy said:

Probably meant "stature".  Autocorrect at work... :)

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't really understand his question, so just posted a generic reply. NO, iPhone SE is NOT a stature item here. Almost ALL of the Android midrangers are priced in that range of iPhone SE to iPhone 6. Not sure if "stature" is a big deal here in India. The fact that Apple has just ~30% marketshare in >$500 segment (1% overall in smartphones) in India is a testament to that.

While the comments about the number of people who can afford high priced smartphones is true to some extent, the fact that Apple has just 30% marketshare in phones >$500 paints a different picture about the appeal of iPhones to the potential buyers even at the higher segments.