Alleged photo of 2019 iPhone chassis claims to confirm three camera design

Posted:
in General Discussion
A photograph of a part claimed to be the internal chassis of a 2019 iPhone has been posted on the Chinese social media site Weibo. If accurate, it confirms previous rumours that the next iPhone will have a three-camera system.

A photograph purporting to show the internal rear chassis of a three-camera iPhone has been shown on the Chinese social media site Weibo, alongside a mockup of how such an iPhone would look when completed. While the origin is unknown, the concept fits with previous reports of the 2019 iPhone range adopting a third camera to improve zoom, field of view and low light performance.

The images were posted to Weibo by a user whose name translates as "Geek Village Chief" and was posted at around 4am ET. "Believe it or not?" says the accompanying message.

The chassis photo shows a metal base with cutouts for the three camera lenses arranged in a triangle. There are two further cutouts in the same segment, of which one is likely to be the flash and the second may be a rumored laser scanner.

Left: the purported rear chassis. Right: mockups of how iPhones with this chassis could look.
Left: the purported rear chassis. Right: mockups of how iPhones with this chassis could look.

The two mockups shared by the Wiebo user show the same arrangement of lens, flash and unknown other element, as they may appear on a final iPhone. It features an enlarged rear bump to house these parts.

Apple is expected to launch its next iPhones in September. The range is also rumored to feature the ability for the iPhone to wirelessly charge devices such as AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I guess a snapshot in a car is an improvement on blurry photos in warehouse lifts.
    Latko
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    lol, that is one ugly design
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Oh, and why is the notch so small in the box art?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    This is an interesting time to see the camera result from new iPhone, especially a low light one. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    at least they'd have to move the apple logo down a little, it's creating too much tension with the HUGE square. I guess I'm keeping my iPhoneX for another year or two.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    Lord that's hideous.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kaitain4kaitain4 Posts: 17member
    OMG! That looks like a parasite or something! The ugliest iPhone design ever :(
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    really have to say... I'm generally OK with iPhone design up to this point, but I still have a 5S so I don't deal with a phone camera bump yet. I'm not crazy about the camera bump on my iPad Pro, but I deal with it obviously. And I get that they want a thin design and the best camera tech they can get and the result is the camera protruding from the case. But at this point I just really wonder why not make the case that thick and give us a better battery. I really do wonder. That giant square is pretty obscene. No way in hell I'd ever get any color other than black now. Of course it'll be a decade before I'm using one of these, so my comment - as usual - is pretty moot. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Looks like Apple tries to catch up with LG. Well we will hear story from pundits that Apple was first with this idea, but the fact is LG has had that since 2018 on all V models (three of them now).
    chemengin
  • Reply 10 of 13
    But you only need 2 cameras and a depth sensor...
    /I have one, it's awesome!
    //But not as a phone
    ///iPhone is still the daily driver
  • Reply 11 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    I was undecided on the look of the renders but the more I see them appearing online the less they appeal to me.

Now, a quad camera Motorola render has popped up and I'm leaning to a more 'symmetrical' setup 'a la Huawei' (either centred or offset). The Motorola design accommodates the logo well:

https://cashkaro.com/blog/exclusive-motorola-4-camera-device/104003

• Reply 12 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    kaitain4 said:
    It’s not an iPhone design. It’s a mock-up based on rumors. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kaitain4 said:
    It’s not an iPhone design. It’s a mock-up based on rumors. 

Yup. Apple will make it seamless, unlike the tumour it looks like in the mock-ups.