Samsung expects 60 percent dip in operating profit for Q1, worst performance in 4 years

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Apple "frenemy" Samsung is expecting a bleak first quarter of 2019, with the company estimating operating income to come in down more than 60 percent on the year due to drooping memory chip prices and sluggish smartphone sales.

Galaxy S10

In a brief earnings guidance update published Friday, the Korean tech giant said it anticipates operating profit to fall to approximately 6.2 trillion Korean won ($5.5 billion) on consolidated sales of about 52 trillion won.

The figure represents a precipitous 60 percent downturn compared to the year-ago quarter, which saw Samsung rake in 15.6 trillion won in profit. As noted by Bloomberg, the projected results qualify as Samsung's largest decline since the third quarter of 2014, when the company experienced a similar income hit.

In March, Samsung issued a warning to investors, saying results for the quarter would not meet expectations due to weakness in its memory chip and display businesses.

Samsung's fortunes are in part tied to those of Apple, as the company is a major supplier of iPhone display panels. In recent quarters, sales of Apple's smartphone lineup have slumped, pulling down with it orders from partner parts manufacturers. Samsung's display arm also faces increased competition from Chinese display makers.

The Korean company endeavored to pad its bottom line by flexing its smartphone sector muscles, and in February released a slate of new Galaxy S10 products. Taking a page out of Apple's playbook, Samsung positioned the flagship smartphones as premium tier devices with prices ranging from $750 to $1,000. An even more expensive folding model, aptly dubbed Galaxy Fold, is due to go on sale later this month for an eye-watering $1,980.

Both Apple and Samsung are coping with a slowdown in the overall smartphone market, an issue compounded by increased competition in the important China region.

Samsung is expected to provide detailed accounting of its business later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Of course the takeaway from this is that Apple is doomed. /s
    darren mccoynetmagecornchipracerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Apple saw this coming, which explains their huge push into services and entertainment media production. Hardware has become that good.
    chasmwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 29
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    When Samsung thinks selling more at a loss is better... this happens.
    cornchipracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    sflocal said:
    They will offset selling at a loss by making it up in volume.
    williamhcornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 29
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    sflocal said:
    Making less profit is not equal to making a loss
    muthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3
  • Reply 6 of 29
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    cropr said:
    sflocal said:
    It does when margins are already thin and volume is not sufficient to create the needed economies of scale. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Right! Apple has a single digit miss and they are doomed. Let’s see if there is the same response to Samsung’s 60% drop. I’m expecting lots of silence on these forums. 
    netmagelkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    What is Samsung selling at a loss?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    genovelle said:
    Right! Apple has a single digit miss and they are doomed. Let’s see if there is the same response to Samsung’s 60% drop. I’m expecting lots of silence on these forums. 
    Well this site is called Apple Insider. Why should we care about Samsung’s profit margins?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    genovelle said:
    cropr said:
    sflocal said:
    It does when margins are already thin and volume is not sufficient to create the needed economies of scale. 
    They do have economies of scale. They will  report a profit but just less.

On the hardware side of Apple's business, it would not be unreasonable to assume a drop in shipments has had at least a partial impact on Samsung's numbers too.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 11 of 29
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Probably nothing but bogo deals on their phones can’t be helping their financial results. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    genovelle said:
    That would be the best case since this isn't a Samsung forum. But no, instead we'll be hearing a whole lotta "doomed" scenarios from those who already hated Samsung for various reasons. A multi-paragraph editorial with quotes and charts and some smattering of completely unrelated stuff would not be out-of-the-question.

I don't think AI attracts a lot of Sammy fans (I'm certainly not one) tho I'm sure there's some users of their handsets here who use Apple gear too. 
    Some folks swing both ways. ;)
    edited April 2019 knowitallmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 29
    avon b7 said:
    genovelle said:
    cropr said:
    sflocal said:
    They do have economies of scale. They will  report a profit but just less.

On the hardware side of Apple's business, it would not be unreasonable to assume a drop in shipments has had at least a partial impact on Samsung's numbers too.
    A few days earlier the projected reduction in profitability that Samsung had already announced was attributed to falling display, memory, and assorted chipset sales, most of it blamed on an overall slowing smartphone market reducing OEM orders. Not so much Samsung handset sales themselves although they certainly play a part too. 
    edited April 2019 netmage
  • Reply 14 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:
    That would be the best case since this isn't a Samsung forum. But no, instead we'll be hearing a whole lotta "doomed" scenarios from those who already hated Samsung for various reasons. A multi-paragraph editorial with quotes and charts and some smattering of completely unrelated stuff would not be out-of-the-question.

I don't think AI attracts a lot of Sammy fans (I'm certainly not one) tho I'm sure there's some users of their handsets here who use Apple gear too. 
    Are you unaware of the trolls that show up here whenever there is hint of bad news for Apple? I think those folks are who the OP was referring to as being silent. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

Are you unaware of the trolls that show up here whenever there is hint of bad news for Apple? I think those folks are who the OP was referring to as being silent. 
    If that was who he was referring to fair enough. That's not how I read it.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

Your attempt at deflection while, of course, totally expected and boringly predictable, however, fails to respond to the accurate statement by genovelle.  He/she is right on the mark regarding the reaction this will (or not) get from the tech-media ... not just this forum.  Try if you can to imagine the reporting had Apple announced a 60% expected profit drop.  Are you able to do that?
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

You are replying to one of the main anti-Apple 'folks' on this board!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Their cheap android phones. The last time the had a huge drop some divisions lost money while they still made money the ones that compete against Apple didn’t do so well

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

Your attempt at deflection while, of course, totally expected and boringly predictable, however, fails to respond to the accurate statement by genovelle.  He/she is right on the mark regarding the reaction this will (or not) get from the tech-media ... not just this forum.  Try if you can to imagine the reporting had Apple announced a 60% expected profit drop.  Are you able to do that?
    Outside of AI? Again not how I read the comments but you're probably right as far as the overall tone from other blogs.

Apple is held in much higher regard and presumed to rarely have bad news to offer, at least in the past decade or so.  When the richest company on the planet with perhaps the highest profile of anyone stumbles people notice. Samsung on the other hand carries no such weight in the public eye. Big company with a lot of stumbling.

You should be able to understand that if you stop taking everything so personally. On the one hand it's kinda flattering I guess that you follow me so closely and interested in what I have to say, but the insults you keep lobbing my way rather than counter-arguments (most of the time), and especially those times when you call out to me on some thread where I've not taken part, are a bit stalker-ish.

Toning down the personal stuff would be appreciated. Perhaps you haven't noticed how often you resort to it, but now you've been made aware. I'll have discussions with almost anyone, sometimes even vehement ones, but if your only interest is insulting me I'd rather not play. 
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 29
    genovelle said:
    Their cheap android phones. The last time the had a huge drop some divisions lost money while they still made money the ones that compete against Apple didn’t do so well

I think you may be confused.  It seems you're conflating "YoY losses" with "selling at a loss".  Those are separate terms that mean entirely different things and they can't be used interchangeably.  YoY losses, what's actually being discussed in the article, occurs when a company sells less than they did the previous year.  Trying to tie that to selling products at a loss makes no sense. 
    An easy example to illustrate exactly how much sense it doesn't make is this:  Apple just had a YoY quarterly loss where they missed by several billions of dollars.  No one in their right mind would conclude Apple missed earnings therefore they were selling products at a loss.  That would be insane.  Apple sold fewer products, that's why they missed.  It's also why Samsung missed.  It's literally right in the article.  They sold fewer memory chips, OLED, panels, and phones.  Considering most of Samsung's handset volume is generated by it's economy and mid tier phones, it's a pretty good assumption they aren't selling them at a loss.  To suggest otherwise would be equally insane.
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingam