Some macOS Mojave 10.14.4 users having problems with Gmail & G Suite authentication in App...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

heli0s said:
    loopless said:
    It seems to affect all Gsuite users.  The workarounds involve deleting the account from Mail and adding back in as a regular IMAP account. This requires using an app token to generate a unique password if you use TFA or allowing “insecure” apps to access your account. Of course you lose calendar and contact integrations.
    I’m sorry but this is sort of unbelievable that Apple let this happen.
    The developer forums show they've know about this issue in the 10.14.4 betas......FOR TWO MONTHS. This is inexcusable, because it breaks people's work accounts. It's easy for some smart ass to say "Oh, don't use Google then!" My company uses G Suite as do many many many others. This is not my decision. If a bug of this magnitude is let slide, I wonder what the macOS team is doing.

I'm disgusted by Apple when issues like this slip through. That's raw, I know... but with the sheer prominence of Google in our daily lives, there's _no_ excuse for this!

• Reply 22 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Huh, I just enabled my Gmail account (which I don't actively use) and it gave me that dialog (but with my email address instead of 'null') and everything worked after signing in. My one GSuite account I had active when doing the 10.14.4 update asked me to re-enter my password right after rebooting, don't recall any issues with that at all.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

Curious if people have gone through all these steps provided by Google, which I happen to be looking up for a client as he's having issues logging into his GSuite account — but is on 10.14.1 still.

Try these troubleshooting steps

• Update your email client to the latest version.
    • Use an App Password: If you use 2-Step Verification, try signing in with an App Password.
    • Allow less secure apps: If you don't use 2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to access your account.
    • If you recently changed your Gmail password, you might need to re-enter your Gmail account information or completely repeat your Gmail account setup on your other email client.
    • If the tips above didn't help, visit https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and follow the steps on the page.
    • The email client's sign-in method might be insecure. Try signing in directly on the Gmail app.
    • Make sure your mail app isn't set to check for new email too frequently. If your mail app checks for new messages more than once every 10 minutes, the app’s access to your account could be blocked.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 23 of 39

Funny I got that "can't connect to Gmail" last night on my Apple Mail. I use POP configuration though, not IMAP. But anyhow I managed to make it work after I changed my password. Tweaking around with the settings didn't do anything.
    Holy hell, why would you use POP? Real question. I'm honestly surprised it's still supported these days.
  • Reply 24 of 39

heli0s said:
    loopless said:
    It seems to affect all Gsuite users.  The workarounds involve deleting the account from Mail and adding back in as a regular IMAP account. This requires using an app token to generate a unique password if you use TFA or allowing “insecure” apps to access your account. Of course you lose calendar and contact integrations.
    I’m sorry but this is sort of unbelievable that Apple let this happen.
    The developer forums show they've know about this issue in the 10.14.4 betas......FOR TWO MONTHS. This is inexcusable, because it breaks people's work accounts. It's easy for some smart ass to say "Oh, don't use Google then!" My company uses G Suite as do many many many others. This is not my decision. If a bug of this magnitude is let slide, I wonder what the macOS team is doing.

I'm disgusted by Apple when issues like this slip through. That's raw, I know... but with the sheer prominence of Google in our daily lives, there's _no_ excuse for this!

• Reply 25 of 39
    It does not effect all my GSuite accounts. Just two out of five. Strange.
    As far as I know all my GSuite accounts are configured in the same way. 
  • Reply 26 of 39
    rgeorgeo Posts: 3member
     Seems to be fixed now, my G-suite signed in without error. 
  • Reply 27 of 39
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    It's fixed!
    As found by myself and as others noted in Apple Support forums.
    Either by Apple (unlikely) Or Google.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Just fixed this on two accounts for a client over screen sharing, he had just restarted and his Mac updated to 14.4. The only obstacle was when clicking through to Safari (which he doesn't actively use), it had Block All Cookies turned on. For some reason I had to turn that off multiple times to get it to "stick", at which point we were able to auth both accounts and things started working again — one was a Gmail, the other was GSuite.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    Same exact problem here after updating to 10.14.4 earlier today. Of course, "Open Safari" does nothing, and I have no problem logging in online or with iOS. I'm using plain vanilla G-mail, not G-suite, and I don't have 2-factor authentication turned on.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 30 of 39
    SandalsSandals Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Why haven't I learnred to NEVER UPDATE!! This article isn't helpful, since the first suggestion is to not update, but I would never have searched for the article if I hadn't updated. I'm having that authentication loop -- authenticate! OK. You're already signed in! OK. Authenticate! OK. You're already signed in! The problem with Apple is that when things work, it's great. But when they update it seems that this article sums it up: There really isn't a fix for it; sorry. Just don't use your Mail app -- it doesn't matter if you rely on it 100% and it took you weeks to actually get to work way back when. Just don't rely on Apple, seems to be the message.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    eideard said:
    Don't even care to know what G-suite is; but, I do have 2-step authentication turned on. Got the password message - got a text msg code for authentication - that's all folks! It's working.
    Really? You assume that since something works for you it must work for everybody? "That's all folks!" For real?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    What does Google do with its mail service that causes so much grief, particularly to macOS and iOS users? Do they not conform to accepted email protocols and do their own thing?
    Why would this be Gmail's problem? If something works just fine and then there's an Apple update and things quit working . . . .
  • Reply 33 of 39
    I have the definitive solution, that worked for me years ago, and remains fail proof to this day: stop using G services altogether!
    How about "Stop using Apple products altogether!"?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    mojo66mojo66 Posts: 20member
    Sandals said:
    Why would this be Gmail's problem? If something works just fine and then there's an Apple update and things quit working . . . .

Easy example: Google is using a whitelist of macOS versions and hasn't updated that list.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Sandals said:
    lkrupp said:
    What does Google do with its mail service that causes so much grief, particularly to macOS and iOS users? Do they not conform to accepted email protocols and do their own thing?
    I was able to fix this for four separate accounts (Gmail and Gsuite) pretty quickly. If you want to get into the specifics of your problem, I’m happy to help. Only problem for me was getting turning off cookie blocking to stick in Safari, after which things were fine. If you get stuck in a loop, maybe try removing the account and re-adding it? That’s one way to often fix things in Mail.

For the record, the main problems I’ve ever had with Mail over the years are specific to Google. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    gcirinogcirino Posts: 1member
    SOLUTION: What worked for me is to copy the Mail app version from my backups before the 10.14.4 update, and put in utilities folder. I launched from utilities folder and has been working ever since with no problems.

Just make sure you quit out of Mail app, and copy the app from your Time Machine backup drive (Not from the Time Machine app).
  • Reply 37 of 39
    DaftRojDaftRoj Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'm also having trouble connecting to iCloud as well as the Gmail problem. With iCloud I was prompted for my password and when put in-correctly-it says there's an error, Apple speak for the wrong password. So after a few tries it asks me to reset my iCloud password, which I do, and then when I try and log in with the new password the cycle starts all over again! Have Apple joined up with Microsoft now? Used to get this all the time with Windows 98 and ME........!
  • Reply 38 of 39
    DaftRoj said:
    I'm also having trouble connecting to iCloud as well as the Gmail problem. With iCloud I was prompted for my password and when put in-correctly-it says there's an error, Apple speak for the wrong password. So after a few tries it asks me to reset my iCloud password, which I do, and then when I try and log in with the new password the cycle starts all over again! Have Apple joined up with Microsoft now? Used to get this all the time with Windows 98 and ME........!
    You shouldn’t have needed to reset anything.  Be careful and follow the instructions here carefully so you don’t lock yourself out. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487