Netflix disabled AirPlay because it isn't being told what device is getting the stream

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    That's right Netflix, just keep giving me reasons to cancel the service.  Fucking "thought police".
    Indeed... I've been a Netflix subscriber since they launched the service (I mean shipping DVD days) and never though about switching... between this and the hassles I have with geo-locking (I spend much of my time out of the US) they're telling me if I want the best experience, then dump them (heck even torrents are easier for me to get their programming than the DNS/VPN games I have to play... I "justify" it by telling myself I'm paying for their service, but I'm reaching a point where I realize Netflix doesn't give a rat's behind about customers like myself)... or now many others
    right_said_fred
  • Reply 22 of 97
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    gcv said:
    Netflix is being dishonest about the reason it has removed Airplay support. Recently Netflix indicated that it wants to crack down on subscribers who Netflix believes may share their membership with family and friends. The company indicated it would terminate those accounts. This is about control.

My experiences with Netflix have become increasingly negative. One way to protect one’s privacy is to use a VPN. When I use a VPN Netflix disables my ability to watch its content on my computer or tablet, even if the VPN is located in the USA and I have a USA based Netflix account. Netflix claims this is due to licensing restrictions on its content, but it is really to force users to disable the VPN so that Netflix can track what users watch. (Licensing restrictions should not be an issue on shows that Netflix produces.)

This is all about collecting subscriber data to maximize profits. I think Netflix is going to be the next Facebook fiasco once users realize how their personal data is used.
    Netflix isn't getting much data from me the only thing I usually watch on it is the Andy Griffith show to go to sleep at night with haha
    n2itivguymaclin3jdb8167
  • Reply 23 of 97
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    patsu said:
    Since they sell plans per device, it is understandable that they distinguish between devices. Besides, AirPlay to an Apple TV doesn't make sense: you download to your mobile device via wi-fi, then AirPlay to the Apple TV over the same wi-fi, unnecessary two way traffic that would reduce playback quality. Why not use the Netflix app on the Apple TV instead? It syncs perfectly between devices, you can also hard-wire your Apple TV directly to your router via Ethernet. That policy may only affect TV sets with AirPlay but without the Netflix app. The solution appears to be the usual one: buy the dumbest TV you can tolerate and attach an Apple TV. So AirPlay implemented on a TV without tvOS is useless, it may help you to AirPlay YouTube from your mobile device but such TVs may already have YouTube.

Wrong. In AirPlay Video, the target TV/Apple TV downloads the video. The mobile device only controls the playback. What you mentioned is AirPlay Screen, which mirrors the phone screen to the TV say, for presentation. Different tech.

I don’t believe Netflix when they say they can’t tell the requesting device.

Mobile phone UI is a lot more advanced than TV device UI. So AirPlay makes sense.
    I think you are mistaken about anything being downloaded to the target device in regards to airplay. 

“When using internet sources for watching video (such as YouTube or Netflix), something else happens when using AirPlay. When streaming from an internet source and pressing the AirPlay button on your iOS device, your AirPlay-enabled Apple TV box will open a direct connection to the internet source. Your Apple TV is being authorized to access the internet source and no streaming occurs between the iOS device and Apple TV, thus no loss of quality. The video or music quality is as good as the streaming service allows.”

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?id=1347605891&subaction=showfull

Remember airplay existed prior to the current gen Appletv with the 32gb and 64gb of onboard memory. 

n2itivguy
  • Reply 24 of 97
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    jcs2305 said:
    patsu said:
    Since they sell plans per device, it is understandable that they distinguish between devices. Besides, AirPlay to an Apple TV doesn't make sense: you download to your mobile device via wi-fi, then AirPlay to the Apple TV over the same wi-fi, unnecessary two way traffic that would reduce playback quality. Why not use the Netflix app on the Apple TV instead? It syncs perfectly between devices, you can also hard-wire your Apple TV directly to your router via Ethernet. That policy may only affect TV sets with AirPlay but without the Netflix app. The solution appears to be the usual one: buy the dumbest TV you can tolerate and attach an Apple TV. So AirPlay implemented on a TV without tvOS is useless, it may help you to AirPlay YouTube from your mobile device but such TVs may already have YouTube.

Wrong. In AirPlay Video, the target TV/Apple TV downloads the video. The mobile device only controls the playback. What you mentioned is AirPlay Screen, which mirrors the phone screen to the TV say, for presentation. Different tech.

Mobile phone UI is a lot more advanced than TV device UI. So AirPlay makes sense.
    I think you are mistaken about anything being downloaded to the target device in regards to airplay. 

“When using internet sources for watching video (such as YouTube or Netflix), something else happens when using AirPlay. When streaming from an internet source and pressing the AirPlay button on your iOS device, your AirPlay-enabled Apple TV box will open a direct connection to the internet source. Your Apple TV is being authorized to access the internet source and no streaming occurs between the iOS device and Apple TV, thus no loss of quality. The video or music quality is as good as the streaming service allows.”

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?id=1347605891&subaction=showfull

Remember airplay existed prior to the current gen Appletv with the 32gb and 64gb of onboard memory. 

You and Patso are both saying the same thing: during AirPlay from an iOS device, the target device (either Apple TV or Smart TV) is directly streaming the video from the internet based source. The ‘source device’ simply controls the playback. 

It was user MacPlusPlus who incorrectly assumed that the video was being downloaded to the AirPlay source device (e.g. an iPhone) and then ‘re-broadcasted’ to the target device. 
    patsuelijahgn2itivguyllama
  • Reply 25 of 97
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    flydog said:
    The device that is streaming via AirPlay is the device.  AirPlay can only stream to one device at a time so there is no need to distinguish between different TVs for that purpose.  If that was the case Netflix would have stated so instead of relying on an explanation that is more dubious on its face.

Moreover, there is no need to distinguish the type of device for this purpose. The only thing that is relevant is the number of devices.
    Apparently Netflix doesn't think so. Device is a wrong term I used, Netflix sells subscription per screen. What is their point I don't know. I suspect it is the recording, this is why they need to inspect not the subscribed device but the screen itself to see whether it is a dumb screen or a recording port. You cannot record Netflix on Quicktime Player for example, they detect that this is not a screen.
    Netflix plans are per device, not per screen. 

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

• Reply 26 of 97
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    mwhite said:
    gcv said:
    Netflix is being dishonest about the reason it has removed Airplay support. Recently Netflix indicated that it wants to crack down on subscribers who Netflix believes may share their membership with family and friends. The company indicated it would terminate those accounts. This is about control.

My experiences with Netflix have become increasingly negative. One way to protect one’s privacy is to use a VPN. When I use a VPN Netflix disables my ability to watch its content on my computer or tablet, even if the VPN is located in the USA and I have a USA based Netflix account. Netflix claims this is due to licensing restrictions on its content, but it is really to force users to disable the VPN so that Netflix can track what users watch. (Licensing restrictions should not be an issue on shows that Netflix produces.)

This is all about collecting subscriber data to maximize profits. I think Netflix is going to be the next Facebook fiasco once users realize how their personal data is used.
    Netflix isn't getting much data from me the only thing I usually watch on it is the Andy Griffith show to go to sleep at night with haha
    You could just drink some chamomile tea and watch a boring lecture on iTunes U for a lot less. 
    n2itivguymaclin3
  • Reply 27 of 97
    digitalripoffdigitalripoff Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I won't disable my security software, leave incognito mode or disable my proxy for ANYTHING. It is so companies can reduce piracy, supposedly, but it leaves your entire home network vulnerable so they can maximize profits and harvest data, which is where the real money is. Meanwhile, other unrelated nefarious players use software to constantly seek unprotected PCs and automatically go to work, entering the open door and you are totally done. Once the system is compromised, AV won't see the threat and your computer becomes a data harvester and possibly a data miner pc for others. Is Netflix worth it? Even for free? NOTHING IS FREE-OR CHEAP!
    supadav03
  • Reply 28 of 97
    Such lying scum. It is not a technical limitation. It is a business limitation. Because of the disgusting way Netflix has monetized customer data, and the horrible deals they’ve made with content providers. 

They are the most mismanaged company I have ever heard of.  Constantly raising prices because they don’t know their ass from their elbow, and shelling out ridiculous sums of money for content no one cares about ($50,000,000 to Barack Obama...for what?). 

Everyone just needs to cancel, and let them drive this business into the ground. Apple will pick it up for pennies on the dollar in a few years and roll it into AppleTV+. 

• Reply 29 of 97
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Every day, every week there’s a new outrage, a new person or company to hate. So tiring. I’d be curious to know how many people are affected by this. My guess is not a lot otherwise Netflix wouldn’t be doing it.
    tenthousandthingsboltsfan17
  • Reply 30 of 97
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    I used AirPlay all the time, anytime I’m at a friend or family’s house that doesn’t have it.  I don’t want to login on their device, I would forget to log out and deauthorizing all devices is a pain.  Not to mention, logging into a friends smartTV with a remote will make you crazy, so cumbersome.

Netflix, thanks for the outright lie, shows you’re as bad as Facebook.  I’m cancelling and pirating your content, just because I can.
    Netflix never supported the TV app from Apple, which keeps all my content in one place.  For a content company, they are the most arrogant. HBO has no problem allowing their content on the TV app, easier for me and I can see all my content by genre.  Keep burning those bridges Netflix, see where it gets you.
    sailorpaul
  • Reply 31 of 97
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    flydog said:
    flydog said:
    The device that is streaming via AirPlay is the device.  AirPlay can only stream to one device at a time so there is no need to distinguish between different TVs for that purpose.  If that was the case Netflix would have stated so instead of relying on an explanation that is more dubious on its face.

Moreover, there is no need to distinguish the type of device for this purpose. The only thing that is relevant is the number of devices.
    Apparently Netflix doesn't think so. Device is a wrong term I used, Netflix sells subscription per screen. What is their point I don't know. I suspect it is the recording, this is why they need to inspect not the subscribed device but the screen itself to see whether it is a dumb screen or a recording port. You cannot record Netflix on Quicktime Player for example, they detect that this is not a screen.
    Netflix plans are per device, not per screen. 

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

Their help pages talk differently then. Because their account page clearly says "screen" not device:
    "Watch on 4 screens at a time. HD and Ultra HD available. Download videos on 4 phones or tablets."
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 32 of 97
    RainERainE Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The way I see it Netflix is simply guaranteeing the quality of their service. If dev's don't have information about the devices their app will be used on it's impossible to guarantee the quality of the service they are offering to their customers.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 33 of 97
    patsu said:

"In AirPlay Video, the target TV/Apple TV downloads the video" but if the source app specifies a remote URL. So you must have disassembled Netflix' iOS app to make sure that it indeed points the AirPlay receiver to its servers by specifying the appropriate content URL?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 34 of 97
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    You are completely wrong about this. They sell per account. You can use your Netflix account to sign in to any device. Here's from Netflix "Watch anywhere, anytime, on an unlimited number of devices. Sign in with your Netflix account to watch instantly on the web at netflix.com from your personal computer or on any internet connected device that offers the Netflix app, including smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, streaming media players and game consoles."
    edited April 2019 elijahgbrucemc
  • Reply 35 of 97
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    flydog said:

Don't fall for this argument. It's wrong. Netflix doesn't sell plans on a "per device" basis. Exactly the opposite is how it works. You can use your Netflix account on an unlimited number of devices so it doesn't make any difference. "Watch anywhere, anytime, on an unlimited number of devices. Sign in with your Netflix account to watch instantly on the web at netflix.com from your personal computer or on any internet connected device that offers the Netflix app, including smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, streaming media players and game consoles."
    elijahg
  • Reply 36 of 97
    Notsofast said:
    You are completely wrong about this. They sell per account. You can use your Netflix account to sign in to any device. Here's from Netflix "Watch anywhere, anytime, on an unlimited number of devices. Sign in with your Netflix account to watch instantly on the web at netflix.com from your personal computer or on any internet connected device that offers the Netflix app, including smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, streaming media players and game consoles."
    Do you have a Netflix account? I don't think so. Because if you had, you'd known that you cannot watch Netflix on an unlimited number of devices. You are limited to max 4 screens at a time.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Getting to the bottom of this mystery will be easy: Follow The Money.
    patsucurtis hannahmac_dogelijahg
  • Reply 38 of 97
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Notsofast said:
    Do you have a Netflix account? I don't think so. Because if you had, you'd known that you cannot watch Netflix on an unlimited number of devices. You are limited to max 4 screens at a time.
    Or two simulaneous, no 4K, as my plan is.

I suspect that this is really about the "non contractual" ID sharing that is going on.
    elijahg
  • Reply 39 of 97
    gcv said:
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
    I think that their next move will be to [cough][cough] adjust their prices depending upon the size and quality of the screen playing their stuff.
    Play on a phone for no extra charge.
    Add $2/show for a Tablet
    Add $5/show for a 50in LCD (or similar) screen.

elijahgmld53a
  • Reply 40 of 97
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    elijahg said:

flydog said:

Really. You know this, how?
    Because the Airplay source iPhone can be disconnected from the network and switched off, and the video continues to play.
    How often does this happen?