Apple's 31.6-inch professional display may arrive soon, 17-inch MacBook Pro in early 2021 ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    bigpics said:
      And give an Win 10 machine a try.

Honest, Tim, I've had $3,000 burning a hole in my pocket for over three years now....!  This is getting beyond farcial.  Why has Apple just kept doubling down on the worst KB they've ever offered (worst on multiple dimensions for many of us, though yeah I know....

Yes, you go ahead and do that post haste. Why are you waiting? No one here is going to stop you because no one cares. Why move the goal posts after such a petulant threat? 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Would Apple release a new large monitor before they release a Mac Pro which would be the primary partner for that monitor?
    I'd bet that more sales of such a display would go toward Mac notebooks than the Mac Pro. Hell, even more Mac minis may get connected to this rumoured display than to the low-volume Mac Pro.
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 64
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I think my next purchase will be just a MacBook as I need something lighter and with keyboard for travel. I will leave all the Pro to the iMac at home.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    90% odds that the display is released the same month as the new Mac Pro. As rumors point, this display is liable to be $2k, so still hope Apple makes a 21-27 4-5k inch model that’s priced at $1k or less.
    As for the MacBook Pro, I have had serious doubts Apple would update the chasis this year, and this just confirms it. The addition of a new 17” would make no sense to not update the other chasis (Apple has delayed a few months in the past, but it’s always the same year, and typically they update the old model, and I would doubt they want to keep this current chasis since the keyboard has become a recurring excuse to complain about Apple).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    My hope is that there will be an iMac using that same monster display.  I haven't felt the need to upgrade my late 2015 iMac as I felt the current models are just meh.  However, with an option to have this new screen in an iMac form-factor, I'll seriously consider it.  For the work I do, the bigger, the better and it has to have Apple's quality and design.

If these rumors are true, it's pretty exciting!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Can't wait for the Mac Display -- finally!

As to the 17", MBP, meh. If it's mostly a larger version of my new 15" (which is as heavy, if not slightly more so than the 2016 model), it'll be way too heavy to carry around.
    What you consider "too heavy" may be just fine to me. I carried a 17" 2009 for years and would happily do so again if I could. I appreciate the value of the 15's lighter weight, but liked the bigger screen more than I like the weight saving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    If there's no matte option, it's not a professional display in my world.

Though Apple's version of profession simply means, a professional might use it for something, though it may to be a for professional purposes, it's a professional using it.
    wozwozdysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mike fix said:
    🤦‍♂️ I thought you people had finally dropped this crap.
    macguipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Ah, spring and the Walking Back of Kuo’s Initial Predictions. It’s like the cherry blossoms — it happens every year. Thought it was coming in 2019, now 2021 at the earliest — but he’s never wrong, you know ...
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I don't want a 31 inch display. I want two 22 inch displays. I would like to see a family of Apple Cinema Displays, as was always the norm, catering to different people with different needs. And yes - I too strongly prefer matte to gloss. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 64
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    mike fix said:
    Poisonous elitism.
    chemenginwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 64
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    1. Why “delayed” to 2021?  Maybe the new processor will comes with them, but then I think he also said that’s between 2020~2021.

2. What’s “micro LED backlighting?”  Is he referring local dimming technology?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Soli said:
    mike fix said:
    For a second there I was wondering if this guy was Tekstud with a new handle.  
    Solifastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 64
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member

As to the 17", MBP, meh. If it's mostly a larger version of my new 15" (which is as heavy, if not slightly more so than the 2016 model), it'll be way too heavy to carry around.
    "it'll be way too heavy to carry around." - Given it would still be ~2.5kg then guess before 2016 15" MBPs were " way too heavy to carry around"...

I used to lug the 16lb Mac Portable around... and could deal with it... but I came from a generation that wasn't entitled or whinny.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    There is absolutely no point in releasing a new MacBook Pro, unless Apple gets rid of their atrocious butterfly keyboards.

It's not rocket science Apple. Just revert to the older style (non-butterfly) keyboards that were...

1. Universally loved
    2. Pleasant to use (because they had a decent amount of key travel)
    3. Reliable
    4. Worked

Please don't inflict a '4th generation' butterfly keyboard on us. To do so would be cruel, unjust and just plain dumb!   
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 64
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    With all that fancy backlighting tech inside, it better have a Rec.2020 HDR display.  It's really quite pathetic that we have all these great cameras like the Panasonic GH5 which can shoot in HLG, yet no Macs that can display the content natively.  It's high time Apple changed that, and certainly so by next year.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    aknabi said:

"it'll be way too heavy to carry around." - Given it would still be ~2.5kg then guess before 2016 15" MBPs were " way too heavy to carry around"...

I used to lug the 16lb Mac Portable around... and could deal with it... but I came from a generation that wasn't entitled or whinny.
    Good for you. 

Which generation was that, btw?
  • Reply 38 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    There's enough demand for a new Apple display, that there's no need for Apple to wait and release it with a new Mac Pro, though they might like the 'presentation' of introducing them simultaneously.

I want a 32", 4K/60Hz display. This may be close enough. The 'Professional' bit bothers me though. Or more correctly, makes my wallet nervous. But it would be a good purchase to put on the Card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    17" MacBook Pro is good news. Not for me, but maybe there's a chance they will now offer an entry-level model with 15" display. I like what they did with the iPad, by offering a low cost entry-level 9.7" (not mini), and no reason why consumers shouldn't have the option of a 15" display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    "and both will incorporate micro LED backlighting"

Ummm, I don't think so.

I get the feeling he doesn't understand what microLED is.

There's no point backlighting with microLED, if you get an LED to cell-sized there's no point putting an LCD in front of it.
    dysamoriarandominternetpersonwatto_cobra