All the TV shows Apple has in the works for Apple TV+

Comments

• Reply 101 of 149
    bill42bill42 Posts: 129member
    iqatedo said:
    Content will no doubt be produced in 4k but I wonder whether also 8k, even as an investment in the (not too distant) future. Anyone familiar with bandwidth requirements for 8k?
    While the specs for 8K are out, you will only see the benefits over 4K on a 80 inch or greater TV. Not many people are going to buy 100 inch TVs anytime soon.
    In the meantime, 4K is razor sharp on my 75"TV. What makes much more difference is HDR television, and Dolby Atmos audio. Once most people have HDR televisions, networks can really start pushing incredibly realistic content even more than they do now. Currently they restrict a lot of what is possible with HDR because it would look crappy on all the regular SDR televisions that most people still own.
  • Reply 102 of 149
    technotechno Posts: 707member
    I hope the content is good and the price is affordable. I worry about all of the reports from people in Hollywood that Apple is difficult to work with due to their "family friendly" restrictions. I am not sure they will be able to compete with Netflix if they sanitize all their content. I think HBO and Netflix are good working models of how letting the creatives do their jobs and not standing over their shoulders works. I've heard that Tim Apple gives notes and nixes content. Not a good sign.
    elijahg
  • Reply 103 of 149
    sreesree Posts: 110member
    I am sure when apple spends $1B something atleast half decent will come out.

My problem is with the direction this is going. Apple's strength has been to enter a market only if they can make a significant contribution to it. That is the reason they didn't create a TV and many other products. I don't see that here. This is outside their expertise. Basically, they are hiring the best available and throwing money at them. How is that different from any of the other players in the space?
    elijahg
  • Reply 104 of 149
    Shantaram is a great novel. It will be hard to make that into a PG show though...
  • Reply 105 of 149
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,824member
    Brie Larson?  
    A
    As an Apple investor - I am honestly losing faith in Tim Cook.

apple is just sinking lower and lower into a leftist political agenda I refuse to support.

Apple needs to stay neutral on this.  Concentrating on quality content and mind blowing hardware.

I never thought I would say this - but I think its time Tim Cook departs - And Jeff Williams take over.

Most workers in Silicon Valley seem to fall on the Liberal to Libertarian spectrum.   Why do you think Williams would be better.
  • Reply 106 of 149
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member

CobraGuy said:
    nunzy said:
    These are some of the freshest and most original ideas I have ever seen. And they are family friendly!

Look out HBO. You're about to get Appled!

Whenever Apple enters an idustry, they change it forever  and then take all the profits.
    Apple Ping!
    Ha!  Yeah, or how about the Mac?  That really disrupted the PC industry.  The iPod Hifi really dominated the home speaker market (sort of like the HomePod today, lol).  And don't forget the Pippin.  It completely decimated Sony and Nintendo and ruled the video game industry.
  • Reply 107 of 149
    PBS on antenna broadcast is a great network. Streaming services can't even get close to their programming quality. 
    dewme
  • Reply 108 of 149
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,811member
    appleempl said:
    PBS on antenna broadcast is a great network. Streaming services can't even get close to their programming quality. 
    I have the PBS streaming app on my Apple TV. Some of it strikes my fancy, some doesn’t.
  • Reply 109 of 149
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,811member
    robbyx said:

CobraGuy said:
    nunzy said:
    These are some of the freshest and most original ideas I have ever seen. And they are family friendly!

Whenever Apple enters an idustry, they change it forever  and then take all the profits.
    Apple Ping!
    Ha!  Yeah, or how about the Mac?  That really disrupted the PC industry.  The iPod Hifi really dominated the home speaker market (sort of like the HomePod today, lol).  And don't forget the Pippin.  It completely decimated Sony and Nintendo and ruled the video game industry.
    Are you serious? The Macintosh did indeed disrupt PCs. First, the entire UX of PCs changed to copy Mac, adopting sometimes near identical GUIs and metaphors. Second, guess which company earns the majority of profit in the PC sector? Oh yeah, Apple. Darn those two guys in a garage. 

HomePod also retains control of the non-cheapass-shit price tier of speakers/assistants, tho I use my two just for playback other than routine HomeKit commands. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 110 of 149
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    robbyx said:

CobraGuy said:
    nunzy said:

Apple Ping!
    Are you serious? The Macintosh did indeed disrupt PCs. First, the entire UX of PCs changed to copy Mac, adopting sometimes near identical GUIs and metaphors. Second, guess which company earns the majority of profit in the PC sector? Oh yeah, Apple. Darn those two guys in a garage. 

HomePod also retains control of the non-cheapass-shit price tier of speakers/assistants, tho I use my two just for playback other than routine HomeKit commands. 
    I am being serious.  No argument that the Mac was, and remains, highly influential, but it's no iPhone (in terms of financial success) and never has been.  If you're really honest about it, Windows was the disruptor, not the Mac.  Microsoft/Windows captured the majority of profits for many, many years while Apple teetered on bankruptcy.  The Mac lifted ideas from Xerox and gave us the first viable consumer GUI, but it was a marginal product (anyone who tried to buy third party Mac software back in the 80s and 90s knows what I mean).  Windows was the true disruptor.  Windows put the GUI on everyone's desktop, just as the iPhone put the touch UI in everyone's pocket.

I'm a big Apple fan, but I'm also not delusional.  This "Apple disrupts every industry and takes all the profits" nonsense that hardcore fanboys parrot is just that, nonsense.  Apple has been wildly successful in certain segments, especially in the past 10 years or so, but it hasn't always been like that.  They've had their fair share of flops along the way.  All I hope is that Apple employees and executives aren't as delusional and full of hubris as their hardcore forum fans, especially the hubris part.  The Mac is a successful product, no doubt, but every Mac could disappear tomorrow and the world would hardly notice.  The world runs on PCs, not Macs.  As for HomePod, LOL.  I love how the fanboys have invented the "non-cheapass-shit price tier" to explain the product's underwhelming performance in the market.
    edited March 23
  • Reply 111 of 149
    Might be time to restart this, using stills from the montage shown at the event. Also, I don’t see Ron Moore in that photo — who else is missing, and is there anyone in it we didn’t know about? 
  • Reply 112 of 149
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 110member
    k2kw said:
    Brie Larson?  
    A
    As an Apple investor - I am honestly losing faith in Tim Cook.

apple is just sinking lower and lower into a leftist political agenda I refuse to support.

Apple needs to stay neutral on this.  Concentrating on quality content and mind blowing hardware.

I never thought I would say this - but I think its time Tim Cook departs - And Jeff Williams take over.

Most workers in Silicon Valley seem to fall on the Liberal to Libertarian spectrum.   Why do you think Williams would be better.
    Very good Question.  Honestly I don’t know why I prefer Williams to take over.  He just seems super capable.  I could be wrong on that.  But I’m just so disappointed in Tim Cook’s push to save the world.  Did you see Tim Cook wipe a Fake Tear while on the stage with Oprah? It was so fake it caused me to dry heave a a little bit.   
  • Reply 113 of 149

I think with "Split", Night Shyamalan showed that you could do a great horror/ thriller without resorting to graphic violence. The reveal at the end of the movie was probably one of the most exciting things I had seen. The soundtrack first gives a clue and then builds up to a very familiar tune as the reveal completes itself.

I am really interested so see what he produces for Apple.

Overall, I think the content is building up nicely. I personally watch only comedies so I won't be watching most of these. But then again, I hardly watch more than 5-10% of the content from any of the other service anyway.

"Split" was one of the best films I've seen in a long time, played expertly by McAvoy. I was shocked to read so much negative comments about it on social media; I can only assume it was the lack of brazen graphic violence that turned off and bored the simpler folks. However, not much on this list interest me personally, Shyamalan is hit or miss in my books (too sci-fi sometimes). I'd definitely watch the Homes thing but as others said, how many hundreds of shows are there like that already?
    I had no idea Split even existed until I saw Glass. Unbreakable was the one M. Night Shyamalan I really enjoyed. If I would have heard about Split and known it was connected to Unbreakable I would have gone to see it at the cinema.
  • Reply 114 of 149
    At first glance, I see potential. Cautiously optimistic. If a free trial is involved, I will give it a shot. Need something to replace the stale Netflix sub I have. If they can come in under Netflix's prices, I will give it a go.
  • Reply 115 of 149
    Tons of people are just going to pick and choose what to pirate. They're not going to add Apple to their current Netflix, Amazon, etc subscriptions.
  • Reply 116 of 149
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 842member
    robbyx said:
    robbyx said:

CobraGuy said:
    nunzy said:

Apple Ping!

I am being serious.  No argument that the Mac was, and remains, highly influential, but it's no iPhone (in terms of financial success) and never has been.  If you're really honest about it, Windows was the disruptor, not the Mac.  Microsoft/Windows captured the majority of profits for many, many years while Apple teetered on bankruptcy.  The Mac lifted ideas from Xerox and gave us the first viable consumer GUI, but it was a marginal product (anyone who tried to buy third party Mac software back in the 80s and 90s knows what I mean).  Windows was the true disruptor.  Windows put the GUI on everyone's desktop, just as the iPhone put the touch UI in everyone's pocket.

I'm a big Apple fan, but I'm also not delusional.  This "Apple disrupts every industry and takes all the profits" nonsense that hardcore fanboys parrot is just that, nonsense.  Apple has been wildly successful in certain segments, especially in the past 10 years or so, but it hasn't always been like that.  They've had their fair share of flops along the way.  All I hope is that Apple employees and executives aren't as delusional and full of hubris as their hardcore forum fans, especially the hubris part.  The Mac is a successful product, no doubt, but every Mac could disappear tomorrow and the world would hardly notice.  The world runs on PCs, not Macs.  As for HomePod, LOL.  I love how the fanboys have invented the "non-cheapass-shit price tier" to explain the product's underwhelming performance in the market.
    So  the "non-cheapass-shit price tier" as far as home speakers are concerned doesn't exist?  Are you too busy trying to "LOL" and call people fanboy's to realize what you are saying is BS and kind of makes you sound like a troll.

HomePod's direct competition are speakers $200.00 and above, not that echo dot or Google mini. Homepod has been released for a year and has only rolled out to remaining markets over the last few moths.. it only hit China in January of this year. So that coupled with the fact that no sales #'s have been provided .. please let us know how how the performance in the market has been underwhelming? Hahaha my goodness..

Let me guess  BS reports like this are what you are "parroting" as you put it...

Which put the Homepod as an expensive competitor to the echo dot and Google Mini when these devices aren't even in the same league as Homepod? They also to fail to mention that Google' s direct competing product the Home Max is actually $50.00 more than Homepod, it may be $100.00 more at this point with the recent price drop of $50.00 for Homepod I have not checked pricing on the Google side so I may be wrong.   Sonos products like the One ( 199.00 ) and the former Play 3 ( 299.00 )  are also more of a direct competitor to Homepod yet market share is never mentioned with these pricier products.

I have had the Homepod since launch.. I needed a replacement for an aging bluetooth speaker and I was leaning toward the Play 3, but decided to give the Homepod a try instead. My main reason was having the ability to use Airplay to stream my music, that was the make or break for me.. at that point Sonos was months away from Airplay 2. So I gave the Homepod a try.. It's an excellent sounding speaker. Clean sounding with bass that shouldn't have as much impact as it does for a speaker so small.

I care nothing about Siri or any of the assistants for that matter I use my Homepod for music #1 and I am happy with my purchase every time I put something on. B)

lkrupp
  • Reply 117 of 149
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,322member
    nunzy said:

I think it's more likely that Disney will be their competition in 5-10 more years. Disney has generations worth of family-friendly content right now, far more than Apple or anyone else could hope to create overnight.
    Disney's catalogue right now has already been viewed time and time again. Their Marvel and FOX entities are what Disney is banking on, along with new generation of Star Wars. If not, they would never have done this streaming product.
  • Reply 118 of 149
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 63member
    nunzy said:

No doubt, just look at what the Pippin did to the gaming industry...completely revolutionized it with unimaginable success still going on today (◔_◔)
  • Reply 119 of 149
    dougddougd Posts: 290member
    Whatever. Netflix is all I need not ANOTHER subscription !!!
  • Reply 120 of 149
    Maybe, just maybe, Roger’s editorial about Apple TV+ being too clean should have been axed before being published. The current article has generated 87 more comments than the editorial (at 32 so far). Quickly reading the comments in the current article, very few people are crying they won’t see sex or nudity on Apple TV+. People want to be entertained first and foremost. If Apple TV+ can’t be successful withouut sex, nudity it won’t be successful with sex, nudity.