Apple again celebrates Earth Day with Apple Watch Activity Challenge

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2019
Apple has yet another challenge for Apple Watch owners to complete this Earth Day, motivating users to get up and be active.

New 2019 Earth Day awards

This Earth Day, which falls on April 22, users can net a special in-app award by finishing any workout lasting 30 minutes or more. Unlike certain regional challenges, the Earth Day Challenge will be available to Apple Watch owners worldwide.

Apple has not yet announced the event, but users will be notified of the challenge a day prior with an alert inviting them to participate.

Details of the 2019 Earth Day Challenge were discovered on Tuesday and shared in a tweet from Kyle Seth Gray.

Counting 2019, Apple will have run an Earth Day Challenge three years in a row.

Apple often celebrates major events and holidays with special Apple Watch activity challenges, for example International Women's Day and Heart Month.

Virtual awards gained by participating and completing Apple's motivational prodding are stored in the Activity app and can be shared via social media. There are also stickers that can be used in iMessage and FaceTime.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    My only question is if it is 30 minutes at one shot, or if it is just a total of 30 minutes (far more attainable)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I am anti-earth day, anti-tree hugging and anti-green-derangement impairment disease, but it's ok, I still like my Apple Watch and find it to be most useful.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    My only question is if it is 30 minutes at one shot, or if it is just a total of 30 minutes (far more attainable)
    I believe it's 30 minutes consecutive.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I wonder if I'll get the alert beforehand, or after it's already started (or even too late) like I have in the past. Timezones can be complicated.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    FTA: "This Earth Day, which falls on April 22, users can net a special in-app award by finishing any workout lasting 30 minutes or more."

It wouldn't be a challenge if it was "Hey, just get a minute here and a minute there until you reach 30 minutes!" (to be fair, 30 minutes of continuous exercise isn't much of a challenge for many, many people)
    albegarc
  • Reply 6 of 9
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Huh?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    apple ][ said:
    I am anti-earth day, anti-tree hugging and anti-green-derangement impairment disease, but it's ok, I still like my Apple Watch and find it to be most useful.

Welcome back Apple][! Glad you're a regular again.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    FTA: "This Earth Day, which falls on April 22, users can net a special in-app award by finishing any workout lasting 30 minutes or more."

It wouldn't be a challenge if it was "Hey, just get a minute here and a minute there until you reach 30 minutes!" (to be fair, 30 minutes of continuous exercise isn't much of a challenge for many, many people)
    Exactly, my Watch 3 records 50 minutes on the "Exercise" ring every morning just going to the boulangerie in the nearest town... although I often cancel the calories expended by enjoying a croissant on my return! If the Earth Day Challenge was 'to be active' for twice one's daily average (easily calculated on the Watch / iPhone) that would be a more worthwhile challenge because, as you say, many people are continually active for 30 minutes or more anyway. However, for more sedentary types 30 minutes is still well worth doing and may lead to a positive change in lifestyle.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    As I suspected, it's 10pm here, and I didn't get any alert. If I wanted to, I suppose I could go out and record a half hour workout, but I think I'll just give up and go to bed, instead.