Apple's 31.6-inch professional display may arrive soon, 17-inch MacBook Pro in early 2021 ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DuhSesame said:
    2. What’s “micro LED backlighting?”  Is he referring local dimming technology?
    It's a weird way to microLED, since like OLED it's the backlighting and the pixel… assuming they actually mean microLED.

If this was feasible for a 32" display then I'd think ti would be feasible for an Apple Watch display (which is obviously tiny), but also because of microLED's brightness and power efficiency would benefit a wrist-worn device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 64
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    My keyboard is still going strong. Tech bloggers make it seem like it's a common issue. 

Typed on my 15-inch Touch Bar MBP.
    9secondkox2randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Appleish said:
    My keyboard is still going strong. Tech bloggers make it seem like it's a common issue. 

It's a common issue. https://m.signalvnoise.com/the-macbook-keyboard-fiasco-is-surely-worse-than-apple-thinks/

Typed on this 15-inch Touch Bar MBP's third keyboard.
    edited April 2019 dysamoriaanantksundaram
  • Reply 44 of 64
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    mike fix said:
    If there's no matte option, it's not a professional display in my world.
    ߤ榺wj;♂️ I thought you people had finally dropped this crap.
    There are different amounts of non-glare that can be applied but for professional use the degree of non-glare used must not affect color accuracy. Most professional solutions should probably include a shading hood.
    edited April 2019 dysamoria
  • Reply 45 of 64
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    bohler said:
    Cook paid US$300bn in recent years to shareholders....well above the cumulative R&D budget over the same period....in the end, Apple didn’t even manage to equip its laptops with a decent keyboard...this is an outrageous scandal....shame on Tim Cook !!
    How does either event have anything to do with the other?

There's no cause and effect between the two, the current laptop keyboard isn't bad because Apple didn't spend enough R&D money, it's bad because of flawed design goals / flawed engineering / hubris. Money doesn't fix any of those problems.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 46 of 64
    stompystompy Posts: 408member

... and both will incorporate micro LED backlighting.

...and micro LED backlight specifications

...will incorporate mini LED backlighting
    What? Micro LED doesn't involve backlighting, the RGB LEDs provide the light themselves like with OLED. Are they referring to LCD screens with smaller LED backlighting?
    You're correct, they could be working on a Mini LED backlit screen.

Mini LED vs Micro LED
    dysamoria
  • Reply 47 of 64
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    2. What’s “micro LED backlighting?”  Is he referring local dimming technology?
    It's a weird way to microLED, since like OLED it's the backlighting and the pixel… assuming they actually mean microLED.

If this was feasible for a 32" display then I'd think ti would be feasible for an Apple Watch display (which is obviously tiny), but also because of microLED's brightness and power efficiency would benefit a wrist-worn device.
    So he’s suggesting MicroLED going mass production in 2021?  Then he don’t have to emphasize the work “backlight”.  If he’s talking about local dimming, AFAIK is still impossible to fit on a mobile device due to its size and power consumption, not even the iPad Pro got that on.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I’m scheduled to get a new MacBook Pro 15 in a couple of months, likely the 2018 models. Crossing my fingers that 2018 models can drive this beast.

My 2012 Thunderbolt is getting anachronistic, or maybe I’m feeling like I’m using a relic as more time passes by. This new monitor definitely sounds like something I’d want. Better than the LG 27” 5K model, the 4.5K ultrawide model, or a 34” 4K model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 64
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    tht said:
    I’m scheduled to get a new MacBook Pro 15 in a couple of months, likely the 2018 models. Crossing my fingers that 2018 models can drive this beast.

My 2012 Thunderbolt is getting anachronistic, or maybe I’m feeling like I’m using a relic as more time passes by. This new monitor definitely sounds like something I’d want. Better than the LG 27” 5K model, the 4.5K ultrawide model, or a 34” 4K model.
    Make sure to keep your laptop clean, wipe gently once a day with a micro-fiber cloth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 64
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    What if the all-new Modular Mac Pro is nothing more than a larger iMac Pro chassis with the ability to place a standard 2-slot GPU into it...?

We have had rumors of an Apple display with an integrated eGPU functionality...

What if this was just actually the new modular Mac Pro...?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Would Apple release a new large monitor before they release a Mac Pro which would be the primary partner for that monitor?
    Are you expecting the MP this year?  I would be nice but I don’t hold my breath on that.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    stompy said:

... and both will incorporate micro LED backlighting.

...and micro LED backlight specifications

...will incorporate mini LED backlighting
    What? Micro LED doesn't involve backlighting, the RGB LEDs provide the light themselves like with OLED. Are they referring to LCD screens with smaller LED backlighting?
    You're correct, they could be working on a Mini LED backlit screen.

Mini LED vs Micro LED
    The story has been updated, it's Mini LED backlighting behind LCD panels, not Micro LED.

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 64

k2kw said:
    Would Apple release a new large monitor before they release a Mac Pro which would be the primary partner for that monitor?
    Are you expecting the MP this year?  I would be nice but I don’t hold my breath on that.
    Apple has clearly stated it's a 2019 product, so yes we do expect it this year.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 64
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Appleish said:

It’s crazy.  Myself and five close coworkers all own 15 in ch. touchbar MacBook Pros. 

I have even spilled coffee all over mine and cause a slight issue with the bottom right corner of the display. 

But... NONE of us have ever had a single issue with the keyboard. We all love it. 

While I am sure there are some who have had issues - and some may be related to customer damage as well - or using in extremely sandy/dusty/etc. environments - it isn’t the epidemic some have made it out to be.

Apple has built a dang good notebook with a great keyboard. People who prefer skyscraper keys for some illogical reason seem to be the most vocal detractors. 
    randominternetpersonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

k2kw said:
    I also expect it because Apple has stated it based on their history, but until there is a shipping product I also count all unreleased products as vaporware. In other words, the cat is dead until it’s shown to be alive.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    I also expect it because Apple has stated it based on their history, but until there is a shipping product I also count all unreleased products as vaporware. In other words, the cat is dead until it’s shown to be alive.
    If they can’t deliver a Mac Pro this year, they’ve truly shit the bed.  AirPower was unknown tech, this should be known territory. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    If they can’t deliver a Mac Pro this year, they’ve truly shit the bed.  AirPower was unknown tech, this should be known territory. :)
    I can't fathom why Apple finds it so hard to understand Mac Pro buyers. No one needs to be awestruck, inspired, delighted, or surprised. We need a pickup truck. Preferably one that's easy to service and accommodates off-the-shelf accessories. This isn't complicated.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    I can't fathom why Apple finds it so hard to understand Mac Pro buyers. No one needs to be awestruck, inspired, delighted, or surprised. We need a pickup truck. Preferably one that's easy to service and accommodates off-the-shelf accessories. This isn't complicated.
    The fact they’ve been working with and studying professional workflows as if it’s a new thing to them gives me hope that we will be surprised and delighted.
    lorin schultzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 64
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    The fact they’ve been working with and studying professional workflows as if it’s a new thing to them gives me hope that we will be surprised and delighted.
    Bummer, I was hoping to be awestruck & inspired...
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 60 of 64
    macronin said:
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    Soli said:

k2kw said:
    Bummer, I was hoping to be awestruck & inspired...
    Sorry, you may have to settle for interested and pacified.

As long as I'm not disappointed and dismayed, I'll be pleased and relieved. Though I suspect the price will leave me shocked and incredulous.
    stompyfastasleep