Apple reportedly removes pro-democracy music from Apple Music in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    This really is a rather dramatic and head scratching conflict.  At virtually every media event, Cook almost breaks into tears as he dramatically professes Apple’s core values around the right to privacy.  He goes so far as to fight the US government to access someone’s personal device.  

And yet, in China, a communist nation that oppresses individual rights, including privacy, Cook is more than willing to sway to the will of the oppressive government.  

I like Apple products, but I don’t want to hear about Apple’s values.   If they’re not universally applied, they’re not values.  They’re sales tactics.
    So you propose Apple to get out of China market? How does that benefit Chinese consumers?
    No, just that he needs to stop being a hypocrite.
    Does he? Isn’t that very narrow view when the other option apart from abide by Chinese law is pulling out?

He’s an American. His value is also American. Can’t apply to China. I’m glad he understand that. What if he’s against capital punishment? Does he need to pull Apple out of all countries that has the law? Where does it end?

You can have your own value and preach it in your own country and abide by other countries law when you’re operating in it. It doesn’t make you a hypocrite, just pragmatic. 
    It makes him a person that ultimately cares about the bottom dollar and not his self proclaimed values when they are at odds. You can try to use a nice sounding word like “pragmatic” to make it sound more noble but in reality it is still placing more value on money than morals. I’m not saying he should stop doing business in China because his duty as CEO is ultimately to his shareholders but he can’t pretend that he is a monument to justice at the same time. Or maybe he does that too for the cynical purpose  that he thinks it adds to the bottom line.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

This really is a rather dramatic and head scratching conflict.  At virtually every media event, Cook almost breaks into tears as he dramatically professes Apple’s core values around the right to privacy.  He goes so far as to fight the US government to access someone’s personal device.  

And yet, in China, a communist nation that oppresses individual rights, including privacy, Cook is more than willing to sway to the will of the oppressive government.  

I like Apple products, but I don’t want to hear about Apple’s values.   If they’re not universally applied, they’re not values.  They’re sales tactics.
    Tim Cook is a fair weather friend to human civil rights.
    I posit there is no such thing as human rights, because the only rights which matter are those legally and constitutionally protected. Simply claiming something is true doesn’t make it true.
    What an absolute load of pigeon droppings. 
    You never actually provide counter-arguments, do you? Just a stream of personal attacks. Get lost.
    gatorguyrwx9901
  • Reply 43 of 45
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Apple mocked Google’s hypocrisy in relation to it former “Do no evil” slogan; but it requires to have a deep look in the mirror.

Will Cook comply when China makes anti-gay laws? When’s enough enough, or is literally every value for sale?

It’s worth pointing out, that the people who sent others to gas chambers also acted in accordance with local laws.
    It’s worth pointing out that IBM was instrumental in the organization of the holocaust, and these days it’s Apple, Google, and a host of cyber security firms that aid and abet dictatorships, human rights violators.

They may be acting in accordance to local laws, but they won’t be able to escape the judgment of history.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    matrix077 said:

So you propose Apple to get out of China market? How does that benefit Chinese consumers?
    I don’t care what they do...but they can’t have it both ways.  Values “at the core of Apple,” and sway to the whim of communist governments.  
    gatorguy
  • Reply 45 of 45
    robbyx said:
    Very well said.  And how, as a gay man, can he do business with countries that imprison and even kill people for their sexuality?  I’m not a Cook hater but this has always really bothered me about him.  He prattles on and on about values, but doesn’t live them. 
    Bingo.