Apple gaining PC marketshare despite lower Mac shipments, fresh estimates suggest

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Two newly-published sets of preliminary research agree that Apple gained PC marketshare in the March quarter, even as Mac shipments declined year-over-year.

MacBook Air

Apple shipped 3.98 million Macs during the three-month period, according to Gartner's latest estimates, a figure down from 4.08 million a year ago. Analysts nevertheless pegged Apple's marketshare at 6.8 percent, up slightly from 6.6 percent. IDC meanwhile calculated March-quarter shipments at 4.06 million, and Apple's share at 6.9 percent, an increase from 6.8 percent last year.

Both Gartner and IDC agreed that Apple ranked fourth in global PC shipments, but differed on who the industry leaders were. IDC listed the top three as HP, Lenovo, and Dell, while Gartner swapped HP and Lenovo's positions.

The two firms also supported the view that the PC industry shrank as a whole, with IDC estimating a 3 percent slip to 58.48 million units, and Gartner a 4.6 percent drop to 58.52 million.

"While the consumer market remained weak, the mix of product availability may have also hindered demand," wrote Gartner analyst Mikako Kitagawa. "In contrast, Chromebook shipments increased by double digits compared with the first quarter of 2018, despite the shortage of entry-level CPUs."

IDC likewise cited a shortage of low-end CPUs as a problem, particularly from Intel, prompting PC makers to use more AMD chips.

On Apple, IDC claimed that while the company recently refreshed some MacBooks, they "have not been met with the greatest fanfare," mostly because of hardware problems that could continue to have lingering sales effects.

Apple is expected to offer an overview -- not hard unit sales -- of Mac's second fiscal quarter performance in an investor conference call after it reports earnings on April 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I doubt it. If Apple wants to make a sizable dent and expand MAC user base, eco-system than keep expanding bottom user base. Offer GoTo systems for bottom huge user base and rest to professionals,enterprises,
  • Reply 2 of 27
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    wood1208 said:
    I doubt it. If Apple wants to make a sizable dent and expand MAC user base, eco-system than keep expanding bottom user base. Offer GoTo systems for bottom huge user base and rest to professionals,enterprises,
    Sizable market share doesn’t make any money. The companies who are selling those computers are not making profit on them. Profit means you can continue to develop new things while others suffer or die. 
    chiachasmsocalbrianMisterKitroundaboutnowStrangeDaysMacProracerhomie3jony0
  • Reply 3 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    Sizable market share doesn’t make any money. The companies who are selling those computers are not making profit on them. Profit means you can continue to develop new things while others suffer or die. 
    I would assume that Apple is still making over 90% of the profit in the traditional, consumer PC desktop and notebook market.
    chasmsocalbrianroundaboutnowStrangeDaysMacProjony0
  • Reply 4 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    And that's why Wood1208 isn't CEO of Apple, or indeed anything.
    socalbrianMisterKitroundaboutnowStrangeDaysMacProlkruppmacxpressseanjjony0
  • Reply 5 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,837member
    wood1208 said:
    Why would Apple be interested in expanding the user base of Media Access Controllers?
    edited April 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 27
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    On the other hand, you need marketshare to attract third party developers, something Apple has done quite well on iOS, but never particularly well on macOS.  The Mac is withering on the vine at Apple anyway. They’re going to keep it alive until iOS can replace it, but it’s clear that computers, at least in the traditional desktop sense of the word, haven’t been Apple’s passion for a while now.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    On the other hand, you need marketshare to attract third party developers, something Apple has done quite well on iOS, but never particularly well on macOS.  The Mac is withering on the vine at Apple anyway. They’re going to keep it alive until iOS can replace it, but it’s clear that computers, at least in the traditional desktop sense of the word, haven’t been Apple’s passion for a while now.
    There are quite a few Macs out there and unlike the buyers of low-end PCs, they do have the ability to buy lots of stuff.  Don't get me wrong there are great high-end PCs out there from the likes of Dell but the vast majority are low-end crap.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Soli said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    I would assume that Apple is still making over 90% of the profit in the traditional, consumer PC desktop and notebook market.
    Yeah, and I think they have 98% share of all laptops over $1,000, too!

Good for them. :)
  • Reply 9 of 27
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    MacPro said:
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    There are quite a few Macs out there and unlike the buyers of low-end PCs, they do have the ability to buy lots of stuff.  Don't get me wrong there are great high-end PCs out there from the likes of Dell but the vast majority are low-end crap.
    When I read comments like this, I just sort of marvel at how Apple fans have changed over the years.  It never used to be about which company was the most profitable or which users did or did not have the means to buy things (in other words, naked classism).  It was always about which platform was better.

Today Apple fans routinely point out how Apple takes the lion's share of profit in a market or how buyers of low-end, non-Apple products are cheap and don't spend any money, or can't (because they are poor and some cheap low-end Android or crap PC is the best they can do).  And we wonder why so many non-Apple fans think so poorly of Apple fans...

When it comes to developer support, the reason we don't see more developers embrace the Mac is marketshare.  Mac marketshare has more or less climbed as high as it's going to climb as long as Apple stays the course.  Apple might very well be the fourth or fifth largest computer manufacturer, but when it comes to total marketshare, they are a drop in the bucket compared to Windows.  So most developers don't care - and never will care - about the Mac.

While Apple massively gouges its customers with a 40% profit margin, something Apple fans on these forums routinely celebrate (which I've always found very strange considering that we're the ones being gouged!), Dell and others sell you better hardware at sometimes half the price.  There's a thriving third party software market for Windows.  Those low-end PC customers must be buying lots of third party software, contrary to your suggestion, or the vast majority of developers wouldn't be supporting Windows.  If all the money was in Mac development, we'd be spoiled for choice in the Mac world.  Unfortunately, the opposite is true.  So I think you're pretty much flat wrong that low-end PCs don't translate into third party software sales.

With a ~40% profit margin and more cash in the bank than most governments, Apple could compete on price if they wanted to.  Like I said earlier, and have said many times before, I don't believe that Apple is particularly invested in the Mac these days.  Apple is clearly much more enthusiastic about iOS than macOS.  If Apple really wanted to grow Mac marketshare, there are many approaches it could take.  Instead, the Mac withers on the vine, with the occasional underwhelming, and increasingly overpriced, update for each model.  
    KITAmariowincomuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 10 of 27
    chasm said:
    Are you a CEO?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    chasm said:
    Are you a CEO?
    He didn't say he was, nor did he act like an armchair executive. 
    jony0
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    robbyx said:
    MacPro said:
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    When I read comments like this, I just sort of marvel at how Apple fans have changed over the years.  It never used to be about which company was the most profitable or which users did or did not have the means to buy things (in other words, naked classism).  It was always about which platform was better.

Today Apple fans routinely point out how Apple takes the lion's share of profit in a market or how buyers of low-end, non-Apple products are cheap and don't spend any money, or can't (because they are poor and some cheap low-end Android or crap PC is the best they can do).  And we wonder why so many non-Apple fans think so poorly of Apple fans...

When it comes to developer support, the reason we don't see more developers embrace the Mac is marketshare.  Mac marketshare has more or less climbed as high as it's going to climb as long as Apple stays the course.  Apple might very well be the fourth or fifth largest computer manufacturer, but when it comes to total marketshare, they are a drop in the bucket compared to Windows.  So most developers don't care - and never will care - about the Mac.

While Apple massively gouges its customers with a 40% profit margin, something Apple fans on these forums routinely celebrate (which I've always found very strange considering that we're the ones being gouged!), Dell and others sell you better hardware at sometimes half the price.  There's a thriving third party software market for Windows.  Those low-end PC customers must be buying lots of third party software, contrary to your suggestion, or the vast majority of developers wouldn't be supporting Windows.  If all the money was in Mac development, we'd be spoiled for choice in the Mac world.  Unfortunately, the opposite is true.  So I think you're pretty much flat wrong that low-end PCs don't translate into third party software sales.

With a ~40% profit margin and more cash in the bank than most governments, Apple could compete on price if they wanted to.  Like I said earlier, and have said many times before, I don't believe that Apple is particularly invested in the Mac these days.  Apple is clearly much more enthusiastic about iOS than macOS.  If Apple really wanted to grow Mac marketshare, there are many approaches it could take.  Instead, the Mac withers on the vine, with the occasional underwhelming, and increasingly overpriced, update for each model.  
    “While Apple massively gouges..”

Same old crud from you people. Ignore the margins Microsoft makes and hammer Apple for the margins they make. Ignore the reality that Microsoft uses clone makers to generate its cheap ash hardware and Apple uses its software to give great advantage to Apple product owners.  Never admit that Microsoft can’t even begin to accomplish the integration between hardware and software that Apple does. Ignore the reality that Apple products last longer and perform better for longer than most PC products.

I could go on but you’re not worth the effort.
    SoliseanjStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 27
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    sacto joe said:
    robbyx said:
    MacPro said:
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:

Ignore the reality that Microsoft uses clone makers to generate its cheap ash hardware and Apple uses its software to give great advantage to Apple product owners.  Never admit that Microsoft can’t even begin to accomplish the integration between hardware and software that Apple does. 
    I agree with you that Apple integration between their devices is very good.  But you forget that the level of integration of Windows devices and Microsoft enterprise / cloud services and applications is excellent. As today the MS enterprise ecosystem is miles ahead of every other company, including Apple. 
    Ignore the reality that Apple products last longer and perform better for longer than most PC products.
    If you compare a Mac to a cheap notebook /PC, I could agree.  But if you compare devices in the same price range, as ThinkPads, HP Z Workstations and other high end devices, you'll see they are as good, or even better than what Apple offers. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    In the last quarter I sold my MacBook Pro and bought a nice SurfacePro. I still have Mac desktops at the house- an old 2010 Mac Pro Workstation and a Mac Mini 6 core i7.

If the Mac Pro dies I will probably replace it with a workstation grade PC unless Apple ships a decent headless desktop that can be properly maintained. I do not want a glued shut iMac, Tim.
    mariowinco
  • Reply 15 of 27
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    Except developers are still focusing on mainstream Apple hardware and mobile experiences.

There are very few applications that actually make use of the iPad Pro's capabilities, and that might not change for quite a while.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    sacto joe said:
    robbyx said:
    MacPro said:
    robbyx said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:

Ignore the reality that Microsoft uses clone makers to generate its cheap ash hardware and Apple uses its software to give great advantage to Apple product owners.

Never admit that Microsoft can’t even begin to accomplish the integration between hardware and software that Apple does.

Ignore the reality that Apple products last longer and perform better for longer than most PC products.

The Windows ecosystem is Microsoft's software advantage. It's hard to use a Mac computer when it can't do nearly as much. There's a reason Apple is essentially non-existent in the workstation market, and it's not just their lack of hardware.

Hololens, the leading AR system, is just one example of Microsoft raising the bar on hardware and software integration.

Butterfly keyboard says "what?"... Seriously, most PC products that cost as much (or in many cases quite a bit less) as an Apple product will probably last you just as long if not longer. A lot of them are also easily serviceable and have more powerful hardware.

iOS and iPhone are still Apple's bread and butter. Services, and potentially new markets, look to play a key role moving forward.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    Tell that to the companies making profits.

Soli said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    I would assume their crap is overpriced, so maybe you’re right.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    robbyx said:

Oh brother!!! Yawn!!!!! Wasn't this issue settled years before Bill Gates giant, Big Brother face appeared behind Steve Jobs at MacWorld? Windows won! You're not making genius comments other then regurgitating the same talking points about the Windows vs. Apple debate that began in the 80s and peaked in the 90s.

"Mac marketshare has more or less climbed as high as it's going to climb as long as Apple stays the course." Are you implying that Apple can change the course if they do something else? You're trashing them for making the wrong decisions about the Mac for over 30 years but you say they turn things around and make Windows obsolete? No, Windows won, that's it. Businesses are not going to throw away their Windows machines because Apple suddenly licensed MacOS (again) to cheap PC manufacturers. Again, Windows won – permanently!

Yes, Apple cares more about iOS than MacOS. My Google Analytics shows that over 90% of my visitors to my sites are on mobile. There's one reason that explains things. If the Mac desktop is "withering," so is the rest of the PC desktop. One day, desktop will evolutionize into something else, and this Mac vs. PC "debate" will be more worthless and tiring than ever.

Oh, about these Apple fanboys. If I had a business, where my customers fanboys, zealots, ideologues, or whatever, who would buy no matter what, who would evangelize my brand no matter what, let me tell you something, the stock price of my public company would be astronomical. Wait! I know such of a company, the stock symbol is...!
    edited April 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 27
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Seriously, most PC products that cost as much (or in many cases quite a bit less) as an Apple product will probably last you just as long if not longer. A lot of them are also easily serviceable and have more powerful hardware.”

B@llocks. I still have a 2006 black MacBook that I use for various things, such as ripping due to the inbuilt drive. Previously it used to take a lot of punishment originally as my development machine and later for djing.
    Whereas at work I doubt if any of out comkany Lenovo, Microsoft, etc laptops are more than 6 years old. And Lenovo’s are really cr@p with trackpads that are useless when brand new!
  • Reply 20 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    When I said offer GoTo systems to bottom huge user base and rest to professionals,enterprises, I meant GoTo systems are not like $500 Windows laptop but sweet spot between $1000-$1500 13"/15" decent Macbook Pros. Than you have $1500-$10000 professional grade Macbook Pros with all kind of performance and sensor enhancements.. Make 30% margin on lower end and 40% on higher end machines. Overall more sales and same higher profit.
    But, bottom user base like highschool and college students, small businesses,casual users is very large. Due to Apple's tight integration across products, this larger user base can easily influence with buying rest of Apple products to people they live and interact with. Apple don't want to loose this bottom user base to Windows. Remember when students join work, professional life, they carry Apple products into it and start influencing purchases of higher end products. People who uses MAC products more likely buy iPhone and other Apple products.
    edited April 2019