Disney+ streaming service debuts on Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Disney at an investor event held at the company's California headquarters on Thursday revealed detailed plans for Disney+, a new video streaming service scheduled to go live in November with media giant's diverse catalog of movies, television shows and original content.

When it arrives on Nov. 12, Disney+ subscribers who pay the $6.99 per month, or $69.99 a year, entry fee will gain commercial-free streaming access to Disney's entire catalog, including classic films from the so-called "Disney Vault."

The company struck deals to bring the service to streaming hardware manufactured by Roku and Sony, and executives expect it to be available on smart TVs, set-top boxes, tablets, compatible PlayStation consoles and other platforms at launch, reports Reuters.

Along with web browser access, mobile devices are covered by the Disney+ app, a screenshot of which was teased in a tweet from CEO Bob Iger. The card-based interface appears to be a riff on existing UIs in use by Apple, Netflix and Amazon, with large feature slots positioned at the top.

Users will be able to browse content by production house and franchise -- Disney, Pixar, Marvel Universe, Star Wars and National Geographic were shown in the screenshot -- as well as system recommendations. While not displayed in the image shared by Iger, Disney+ incorporates big-name movies and shows from Disney's recent $70 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

Disney's direct-to-consumer division chairman Kevin Mayer said Disney will "likely" offer discounted bundle packages for ESPN+ and Hulu, reports Fast Company, but the executive fell short of committing to the strategy. Currently, subscriptions to ESPN+ and Hulu, of which Disney owns a controlling share, start at $4.99 and $5.99 per month, respectively.

As previously reported, Disney is working on a slate of straight-to-streaming original shows to drive interest in the fledgling service. The studio previously announced plans to build on its Marvel and Star Wars properties as part of the push into streaming content, including "Rogue One" prequel "The Mandalorian" and a series focusing on Marvel villain Loki.

While some new movies, like the upcoming "Lady and the Tramp" remake, will land on Disney+ at release, most will be windowed until after they cycle out of theaters and a home video sales period, the report said.

The service goes live on Nov. 12 in a number of major markets and will land in Europe and Asia next year. Disney expects Disney+ to have between 60 million and 90 million subscribers by 2024.

Disney's push into streaming arrives as other major industry players and newcomers enter the lucrative market. AT&T's WarnerMedia is planning a late-2019 launch of its effort, which hosts content from HBO, Turner, and Warner Bros. Apple, which has for years hosted third-party streaming services on its Apple TV set-top box, is entering the fray with its own branded subscription offering.

Announced at a special event in March, Apple TV+ debuts this fall with a host of original content from acclaimed Hollywood directors, producers and actors. Apple during the keynote trotted out A-list partners like Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Jason Momoa and more, who presented a look at their forthcoming projects.

Apple TV+ will be available in Apple's revamped TV app, which landed in developer hands with the release of the iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 betas last month. Apple is looking to expanding its reach beyond Apple TV hardware, and plans to make the TV app available to third-party TV and streaming device makers this spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    With this announcement, it appears that Apple TV+ and Disco now share the same future.
    hmurchisonflyingdpgatorguy
  • Reply 2 of 29
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    smaffei said:
    With this announcement, it appears that Apple TV+ and Disco now share the same future.
    You mean Dead Very Soon? Like Apple watch? Iphone in 2007? and Ipad?
    davenStrangeDaysjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 29
    designr said:
    So while Netflix probably yawned at the Apple TV+ announcement, Disney+ certainly worries them.

Additionally, this puts a boundary price on Apple TV+.

I'm still curious about Hulu's future. Doesn't Disney own 51% of Hulu through its 20th Century Fox acquisition (I think it owned some % before and that % increased with the acquisition)?

Apple should buy Disney.

Disney currently owns 60%, Comcast owns 30% and AT&T owns 10%.  Disney+ at $7/m or $70/y is a pretty good deal.  Since Disney doesn't have to pay any licensing fees for content that puts them one step ahead of everyone else on their overhead.  

No one wants Apple to buy [insert company name here].   Especially not Disney.  Math doesn't support that idea being good at all.
    curtis hannahjahblade
  • Reply 4 of 29
    designr said:
    So while Netflix probably yawned at the Apple TV+ announcement, Disney+ certainly worries them.

I'm still curious about Hulu's future. Doesn't Disney own 51% of Hulu through its 20th Century Fox acquisition (I think it owned some % before and that % increased with the acquisition)?

Apple should buy Disney.

Netflix only worry is Disney has been pulling its content off their service for this. It might take a dent, but Netflix isnt likely going to take a major loss by this.

Apple TV+ will haft to be between $7 and $13 to be practical, that was already known, thought it might influence Apple to drop the target price a $1, though I doubt that since Netflix continues to raise its prices.

Hulu might be losing some of its content as well to the Disney service, but as long as its relatively popular I don't think it is in any real danger.

Apple should most certainly not buy Disney. Disney buying a bunch of companies and covers a series of things from theme parks, toys, tv channels, movie franchises, etc. Not a single thing to do with computers which is what Apple deals with, beyond the fact it would be the biggest buyout in history and Apple shouldn't be doing that at this state.
    mike1
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Apple investors have nothing to worry about.

how can Disney+ content compete with Oprah, Big Bird and Carpool karaoke?
    Carnagedesignrsmaffei
  • Reply 6 of 29
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    With young kids who love Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars etc. This is a no brainer for me.  Guessing $9.99 in Canada or $100/yr. Take my money, well worth it for the hours my family will watch it.  
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

Netflix only worry is Disney has been pulling its content off their service for this. It might take a dent, but Netflix isnt likely going to take a major loss by this.

Apple TV+ will haft to be between $7 and $13 to be practical, that was already known, thought it might influence Apple to drop the target price a $1, though I doubt that since Netflix continues to raise its prices.

Hulu might be losing some of its content as well to the Disney service, but as long as its relatively popular I don't think it is in any real danger.

Apple should most certainly not buy Disney. Disney buying a bunch of companies and covers a series of things from theme parks, toys, tv channels, movie franchises, etc. Not a single thing to do with computers which is what Apple deals with, beyond the fact it would be the biggest buyout in history and Apple shouldn't be doing that at this state.
    It’s not just Disney that pulling content from Netflix. So is ATT, and Comcast. Between them, that’s Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., and Universal. And to a lesser extent CBS. So that’s pretty much everything anybody wants to watch. All that’s left is Sony and Paramount, and they aren’t exactly driving the box office or TV these days. Netflix will have very little to offer aside from its own original programming, which isn’t much when it all boils down to what’s really worth watching for most subscribers. And Disney will likely end up owning 70% of Hulu, and Comcast might give up their 30% to them before it’s all over. Hulu is going nowhere.

Unfortunately Netflix is going to be in a world of hurt trying to retain subscribers as early as next year. They are tens of billions of dollars in debt, and it’s only going to get worse as they throw money at the problem. The only thing keeping them afloat now is their declining DVD rental business, and their subscriber base — which will also start declining as soon as they start losing third party content. And then they’ll be left with nothing but debt and the occasional hit program.

Meanwhile, Apple has enough money in the bank to produce top quality programs, like Netflix, and offer it as an added value for customers, along with a TV bundling service with an interface that likely will surpass anything else offered on the market. Apple has a bright future. Netflix should be very worried.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    This hurts Netflix a lot more than AppleTV+. For one thing, Apple hasn't announced it's price point, while it's clear what Netflix's is...for at least the next six months until they raise prices again. Netflix has NOTHING else to offer, so something like this really hurts them, especially since most of their content that made them popular was Marvel. Apple can afford to not be #1 at the beginning in this market because they have other revenue centers. Netflix has none aside from streaming.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 9 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    clarker99 said:
    With young kids who love Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars etc. This is a no brainer for me.  Guessing $9.99 in Canada or $100/yr. Take my money, well worth it for the hours my family will watch it.  
    You bet Disney knows just how many customers it will have. You're very much the target audience, and it is a great value for your uses. That's cool.

Me, not so much. 
  • Reply 10 of 29
    clarker99 said:

I wonder. All the stuff my family would watch (and my kids) we’ve already seen. So why pay just to watch it again?

I doubt Disney will put all their catalogue up at once. I bet they rotate titles over the year to keep people subscribed. Otherwise, what’s to stop someone from paying for a single month and watching all the stuff they want and then canceling? All Star Wars and Marvel movies for a single $6.99 “rental fee”? Sign me up. But just for one month.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Kuyangkoh said:
    smaffei said:
    You mean Dead Very Soon? Like Apple watch? Iphone in 2007? and Ipad?
    I think you folks are severely under estimating AppleTV+. 
    "The Home of the World's Most Creative Storytellers"
    It is New, Fresh and it streams on AppleTV hardware and AppleTV Software Globally and supports Family Sharing.

I can understand why it may not make financial sense for Disney to offer their streaming service on AppleTV hardware or AppleTV App but that would still be a disadvantage for them. I think Disney+ will at least be an AppleTV Channel like ESPN, HBO, ShowTime, Starz etc... But with Iger on the board of Apple I would not be surprised to see more special integrations for kids and grownups.

jahblade
  • Reply 12 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mac_128 said:
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

It’s not just Disney that pulling content from Netflix. So is ATT, and Comcast. Between them, that’s Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., and Universal. And to a lesser extent CBS. So that’s pretty much everything anybody wants to watch. All that’s left is Sony and Paramount, and they aren’t exactly driving the box office or TV these days. Netflix will have very little to offer aside from its own original programming, which isn’t much when it all boils down to what’s really worth watching for most subscribers. And Disney will likely end up owning 70% of Hulu, and Comcast might give up their 30% to them before it’s all over. Hulu is going nowhere.

Unfortunately Netflix is going to be in a world of hurt trying to retain subscribers as early as next year. They are tens of billions of dollars in debt, and it’s only going to get worse as they throw money at the problem. The only thing keeping them afloat now is their declining DVD rental business, and their subscriber base — which will also start declining as soon as they start losing third party content. And then they’ll be left with nothing but debt and the occasional hit program.

Meanwhile, Apple has enough money in the bank to produce top quality programs, like Netflix, and offer it as an added value for customers, along with a TV bundling service with an interface that likely will surpass anything else offered on the market. Apple has a bright future. Netflix should be very worried.
    Apple’s pay TV service doesn’t appear to have anything but it’s original content. Yes the TV app will have other “channels” integrated but they’re only useful if you have a subscription to them or have an existing cable/satellite subscription. Currently Netflix has non-Netflix original content like: The Office, The West Wing, Good Girls, Shameless, Mad Men, Scandal, Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, Cheers, The Twilight Zone, Frasier, Andy Giffith Show, Star Trek, Madam Secretary, Blue Bloods, NCIS, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, Parks and Recreation, Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown (and I’m sure I’m missing some). I don’t think Apple will be able to charge more than Disney+ if all they have on offer is their original programming. And maybe they don’t care if they think the majority of revenues will come from taking a cut of others subscriptions.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    acejax805 said:
    This hurts Netflix a lot more than AppleTV+. For one thing, Apple hasn't announced it's price point, while it's clear what Netflix's is...for at least the next six months until they raise prices again. Netflix has NOTHING else to offer, so something like this really hurts them, especially since most of their content that made them popular was Marvel. Apple can afford to not be #1 at the beginning in this market because they have other revenue centers. Netflix has none aside from streaming.
    This doesn’t hurt Apple assuming Apple expects most of its TV revenues to come from taking a cut of other people’s subscriptions. I’ll be curious to see how may people sign up for stand alone HBO, Showtime etc. subscriptions via the TV app. Are a lot of people doing that via Amazon Prime now?
    jahblade
  • Reply 14 of 29
    acejax805 said:
    This doesn’t hurt Apple assuming Apple expects most of its TV revenues to come from taking a cut of other people’s subscriptions. I’ll be curious to see how may people sign up for stand alone HBO, Showtime etc. subscriptions via the TV app. Are a lot of people doing that via Amazon Prime now?
    For example, I have the early adopter DirecTV Now package including HBO, Disney Channel, Disney Jr, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News etc... so I would not subscribe to these things again but I would subscribe to Disney+ even if it includes on demand versions of the same content.

The advantage for Apple is that it wins at all levels/aspects of streaming.  
    1.  The AppleTV hardware with TVOS + SIRI + TV App + AppleTV+ integrates third party content best including CableTV content.
    2.  Apple gets a cut of streaming some third party content and content like Disney+ amongst others are a definite plus for the hardware.
    3.  Not sure how the TV App deals go with the TV manufacturers and Roku these deals should overall be a plus for Apple.
    4.  I suspect that AppleTV+ will be a force to recon with and will lead to more content providers wanting a spot on the AppleTV hardware or TV App.
    5.  As a member of the AAC consortium, Apple probably pays very little if anything for streaming content using superior high quality HE-AAC over the internet. (Big Advantage)
    6.  Apple is famous for maintaining and improving their software over time.
    7.  Apple has the funding to really push their platforms globally.  (iOS, tvOS, Mac OS, realtime Car OS etc...)
    8.  Apple may package Apple Music with Streaming services.
    9.  The TV market not just content, is very complex internationally and Apple is well positioned to service the globe.
    10.  The Apple brand name, security and privacy is top notch.
    mac_128jahblade
  • Reply 15 of 29
    clarker99 said:

I wonder. All the stuff my family would watch (and my kids) we’ve already seen. So why pay just to watch it again?

I doubt Disney will put all their catalogue up at once. I bet they rotate titles over the year to keep people subscribed. Otherwise, what’s to stop someone from paying for a single month and watching all the stuff they want and then canceling? All Star Wars and Marvel movies for a single $6.99 “rental fee”? Sign me up. But just for one month.
    You obviously don’t have kids, or else you’d understand how many times they watch the same movie over and over again. A lot of their classics aren’t even on iTunes or for sale in stores.
    gatorguytenthousandthingsclarker99mac_128jahbladen2itivguy
  • Reply 16 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Interesting how all the discussion is about how this will impact other streamers like Netflix.
    But Disney has said it will no long license to "3rd parties" -- so I assume that means Disney products will no longer be available on cable bundles -- which could be a severe blow to cable providers such as Comcast.   And too, if it is true that Disney products will disappear from those cable bundles, that's going to leave a lot of unhappy cable users.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    A lot of conjecture based on previous statements. Ultimately, time will tell. Statements can be undone. Contracts broken. New contracts formed, or old contracts redrawn up. I wouldn’t get too worried about anything until we get a few quarterly reports from the major players involved. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 29
    clarker99 said:

You obviously don’t have kids, or else you’d understand how many times they watch the same movie over and over again. A lot of their classics aren’t even on iTunes or for sale in stores.

I have two kids. And I know they used to watch stuff over and over when they were younger. Which they did on regular cable or through PVR. They never came up to me and asked “Hey Daddy, how come all the old Disney classics aren’t on TV?” They simply weren’t aware/didn’t care.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    clarker99 said:

Whose kids watch something once? Not mine. I am excited, tbh. Disney is opening the vault so no restrictions on the ‘classic’.  

Personally, I am more likely to drop Netflix. Without the licensing agreements with Disney that is several hours less spent in the Netflix app.  Maybe sign up a month here and there if some hot show is available. We’ll see. 
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Interesting how all the discussion is about how this will impact other streamers like Netflix.
    But Disney has said it will no long license to "3rd parties" -- so I assume that means Disney products will no longer be available on cable bundles -- which could be a severe blow to cable providers such as Comcast.   And too, if it is true that Disney products will disappear from those cable bundles, that's going to leave a lot of unhappy cable users.
    That's an incorrect assumption in my opinion.  For the foreseeable future, Disney's largest audience by far will still be on cable... especially it's most expensive property, ESPN.  Besides, it makes no sense for Disney to discontinue it's relationship with cable companies.  It's one of their largest revenue streams,  It can also still work in conjunction with their streaming service.  Pretty sure Disney realizes it's going to take time to build up that service (which is why they said it wouldn't turn a profit until at least 2024).  Disney also realizes a significant portion of the population is not going to go the streaming route.  There's no way Disney would put all of it eggs in one streaming basket.  That's business suicide.
    mac_128