Dark mode, universal 'Undo' gestures touted to arrive in 'iOS 13'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    And Fingers crossed for a much smarter Siri!!!
  • Reply 22 of 53
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS. I had to use a third party app NightOwl to get what people actually want which is automatic shifting between Light/Dark mode based on time of day.

iOS of course will not be able to be manipulated in any such way.
    I tried dark mode on my home iMac but finally had to turn it off. I generally liked it but couldn’t stand the reverse type in Mail. I wish there was a way to customize it maybe app by app. I generally like “dark themes” and use them in most other software like Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.
    MplsP
  • Reply 23 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    this seems like the biggest change:

”Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.”

...if true, moving to a windowed interface on iPad is a major departure.
    Well, it is really a slow creep towards what Apple should be racing to for iPad Pros at least: full blown overlapping displays (panels, windows, pallets, etc). It also needs full blown filesystem access, including shell access, at least 2 USBC ports if not TB3 ports, with drivers and support for virtually all USB devices.

They’ve been holding back the potential of the slate form factor for too long. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 53
    imagladry said:
    Universal undo? Why is it reliant on the keyboard? What if I'm using paint/draw/photo editing/video editing/audio editing apps. It will be likely that I won't have the keyboard open. How willI be able to access "universal undo"?
    MisterKit said:
    Undo in iOS is an enigma. It really is hard to imagine something that would be universal in a touch based environment. I am reasonably certain that the best minds at Apple have been brainstorming this for years.
    Most drawing or note taking apps I’ve seen have undo buttons, so no worries about having the keyboard open. For external keyboards, I imagine cmd-z already works for undo?

The gesture is needed most when the keyboard is closed or not visible. A 3 finger swipe would be fine, or a 2 finger counterclockwise circle may be even better as 3 finger swipes is used for accessibility functions I think. If the keyboard is out, why would they bother? All they need to do is make the “undo” button that is there most of the time permanent and require it to be there from apps that modify the keyboard. So either strange rumor, or there are weird edge cases.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    tht said:

”Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.”

Well, it is really a slow creep towards what Apple should be racing to for iPad Pros at least: full blown overlapping displays (panels, windows, pallets, etc). It also needs full blown filesystem access, including shell access, at least 2 USBC ports if not TB3 ports, with drivers and support for virtually all USB devices.

That sounds like a MacBook. 
  • Reply 26 of 53
    tht said:

It can’t be a MacBook if it isn’t a clamshell form factor.

Primary input devices of an iPad should be touch, virtual keyboard and stylus. Primary interface of a laptop is a hardware keyboard and pointing device. How the devices are used is different. What they can do, should be the same.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Soli said:
    I'd like to see better iOS support for dual-SIM operation. Right now it's far too limited for me to take advantage of it.

wood1208 said:
    Would appreciate iMessage "Save text draft" feature so I don't have to cancel out from half written text to come back to finish it. Most people write and send text but every now and then you need to start writing text, need more thinking/time for later come back finish and send. Meanwhile, you may want to attend other text messages which you can't do unless you cancel out of current text.
    Alternative is if Google ports to IOS it's official "Message" app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS).
    Could you explain that further? I know I've written messages and left the app to come back later to finish and send all while it saved my content in the text field.
    Simple. Start the iMessage text, write whatever in text field. No Send. Than, you want to attend other text messages so you want to go to "Messages" list. Well, you can't. There is no < back to Message list from current new text. Choice is cancel current text or send it. Irony is the < back function is available when open existing text message from the Message list. Years back when I was on IOS enemy's platform, I was able to get back to Message list while writing new text and was using Google's own pathetic text Message app, My request to Apple is add that "<" (BACK TO MESSAGE LIST) feature while writing new text and when leave that text halfway written than save as draft with empty or if filled TO under Messages list. It is no different than if you use Yahoo email to compose/writing email than quit before sending to get back to InBox and Yahoo saves it as draft email. Same concept for new iMessage text.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wood1208 said:
    Soli said:
    I'd like to see better iOS support for dual-SIM operation. Right now it's far too limited for me to take advantage of it.

wood1208 said:
    Would appreciate iMessage "Save text draft" feature so I don't have to cancel out from half written text to come back to finish it. Most people write and send text but every now and then you need to start writing text, need more thinking/time for later come back finish and send. Meanwhile, you may want to attend other text messages which you can't do unless you cancel out of current text.
    Alternative is if Google ports to IOS it's official "Message" app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS).
    Could you explain that further? I know I've written messages and left the app to come back later to finish and send all while it saved my content in the text field.
    Simple. Start the iMessage text, write whatever in text field. No Send. Than, you want to attend other text messages so you want to go to "Messages" list. Well, you can't. There is no < back to Message list from current new text. Choice is cancel current text or send it. Irony is the < back function is available when open existing text message from the Message list. Years back when I was on IOS enemy's platform, I was able to get back to Message list while writing new text and was using Google's own pathetic text Message app, My request to Apple is add that "<" (BACK TO MESSAGE LIST) feature while writing new text and when leave that text halfway written than save as draft with empty or if filled TO under Messages list. It is no different than if you use Yahoo email to compose/writing email than quit before sending to get back to InBox and Yahoo saves it as draft email. Same concept for new iMessage text.
    I have the option to back out of a conversation to go to another while it saves the unsent message in the text field. The only way I can’t do this on iOS is when I’m creating a brand new conversation.
    edited April 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 53
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    firelock said:
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS. I had to use a third party app NightOwl to get what people actually want which is automatic shifting between Light/Dark mode based on time of day.

I tried dark mode on my home iMac but finally had to turn it off. I generally liked it but couldn’t stand the reverse type in Mail. I wish there was a way to customize it maybe app by app. I generally like “dark themes” and use them in most other software like Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.
    Actually, you can turn off reverse type under settings. (I needed some time to find it as well - not sure if it was always there, or if it appeared with an update.)

==========

On a different note... Could this mean OLED is coming to the iPad?
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    Soli said:

wood1208 said:
    I have the option to back out of a conversation to go to another while it saves the unsent message in the text field.
    Me, too. I can start a text to my wife, not send, leave it, go to a text to a friend, leave it unsent, go back to the message for my wife and pick up where I left off and then go back to the message for my friend and the text I already started is still waiting for me. But this isn't always the case. I think if I have been out of Messages for long enough and using other apps the text I started will be gone. My guess is when iOS quits Messages and it is no longer in a suspended state then any unsent messages are lost.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    "Safari users will be able to set the browser to ask for a desktop version of websites on iPad, instead of viewing the mobile version by default. "

I've never had any luck getting this feature to work. Every time I try 'request desktop site' on my iPhone i just get the 
    iPhone version.

firelock said:

same here - it was nice on some things, and annoying on others, and other apps didn't take advantage of it, particularly web sites so you ended up with glaring difference in contrast & brightness between different apps. Maps was almost impossible to use in dark mode, too.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    How about better/easier bluetooth management? you can either turn bluetooth of completely and disconnect everything or go digging around in the settings app. If I'm playing podcast or song in iTunes I should be able to bring up the bluetooth settings directly from iTunes without going to settings.

Apple said bluetooth was the future, but they sure didn't make it easier to live in the future.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    sflocal said:
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS.
    I’ve had dark mode enabled 24/7 on all three of my Macs since it was introduced.
    Same here. If it comes to iOS, it gets switched on instantly.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    dreyfus2 said:
    firelock said:

Actually, you can turn off reverse type under settings. (I needed some time to find it as well - not sure if it was always there, or if it appeared with an update.)

==========

On a different note... Could this mean OLED is coming to the iPad?
    Ming Chi Kuo is runormongering that Apple is moving to mini LED and then micro-LED for iPads, laptops and external displays. So, no looks like the answer.

Mini LED will have local dimming so contrast ratios will likely be better than current single LED backlight type solutions. Micro LED goes all the way to deep blacks as it operates in the same manner as OLED with each LCD pixel having its own LED backlight.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    Soli said:

wood1208 said:
    I have the option to back out of a conversation to go to another while it saves the unsent message in the text field.
    Me, too. I can start a text to my wife, not send, leave it, go to a text to a friend, leave it unsent, go back to the message for my wife and pick up where I left off and then go back to the message for my friend and the text I already started is still waiting for me. But this isn't always the case. I think if I have been out of Messages for long enough and using other apps the text I started will be gone. My guess is when iOS quits Messages and it is no longer in a suspended state then any unsent messages are lost.
    Don't make it complicated. Just start new message(select top right square with pencil), title says New Message, write few words and than tell me if you can go back to Messages list without canceling out of current message ? What should have happen is there should be < back arrow on top left in New Message screen and when someone hits that < back arrow than current New Message should be saved as draft and listed first on Messages list. You can open that draft message, add more and than hit Send if done or hit top < to get back to Messages list and current New Message should be saved back as draft. In a nutshell, put that < back arrow on top left part of New Message screen as a mechanism to get back to Messages list and save current New Message as draft.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    MplsP said:
    How about better/easier bluetooth management? you can either turn bluetooth of completely and disconnect everything or go digging around in the settings app. If I'm playing podcast or song in iTunes I should be able to bring up the bluetooth settings directly from iTunes without going to settings.

Apple said bluetooth was the future, but they sure didn't make it easier to live in the future.
    Force touch the settings icon. You can go directly to the bluetooth settings from there. Takes you straight to the On/Off toggle and you see your connected devices.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 37 of 53
    jcs2305 said:
    MplsP said:

Force touch the settings icon. You can go directly to the bluetooth settings from there. Takes you straight to the On/Off toggle and you see your connected devices.
    Thanks - that sort of takes away one step; (open settings and touch Bluetooth vs. force-touch settings and touch Bluetooth - Not a whole lot of difference in the end) Either way, you still have to leave iTunes (or whatever app), scroll to the screen with the settings app and then do the force touch - they have an airplay icon on the iTunes play screen; I’d be willing to bet most people use BT far more often than airplay; why can’t they just do it from there? (Or from the control center?)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 38 of 53
    firelock said:

I found how to make messages white in Mail but not books or pdfs in the Books app. Its particularly annoying when there are images as the ‘page’ is black but the image and its background to crop all white. Just looks really amateur. I love it in instances where the system is dark and my content white - Word does it really nice. Highlights my work and let’s the tools and system fade into the background. 
  • Reply 39 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    MplsP said:
    "Safari users will be able to set the browser to ask for a desktop version of websites on iPad, instead of viewing the mobile version by default. "

I've never had any luck getting this feature to work. Every time I try 'request desktop site' on my iPhone i just get the iPhone version.

Has to do with how the site is coded. User agent sniffers can be used to send you to a separate mobile site, versus just using CSS breakpoints for various screen widths to display different styles which this won’t bypass. It’s the former it gets around by pretending to be an desktop browser. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 40 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    tht said:
    tht said:

It can’t be a MacBook if it isn’t a clamshell form factor.

Primary input devices of an iPad should be touch, virtual keyboard and stylus. Primary interface of a laptop is a hardware keyboard and pointing device. How the devices are used is different. What they can do, should be the same.
    In your opinion. You forgot that part. Because part of the beauty, popularity and success of the iPad is its simplicity compared to normal desktops or laptops. My mom doesn’t want to dick around with drivers, I assure you. And as John Gruber wrote, what allows iOS to be light is that macOS is heavier.