Apple hires Molly Thompson to lead Apple TV+ documentary efforts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has made a big hire in Molly Thompson, the founder of A&E Indie films and previous head of the network's documentary efforts.

Documentaries that Thompson has served as executive producer includes "The Unknown Known: The Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld," "Studio 54," "The Clinton Affair," and a Watergate documentary series. She won a Primetime Emmy for her work on "Cartel Land," with a pair of Emmy awards for "Life, Animated," and another for "The Tillman Story."

The hire of Thompson was first spotted by Variety.

After two years of buildup, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced Apple TV+, Apple's streaming video service. The service was discussed by Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, alongside a host of Hollywood stars and content producers, including Stephen Spielberg, Ron Howard, and more.

"We're honored that the absolute best lineup of storytellers in the world -- both in front of and behind the camera -- are coming to Apple TV+," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, in an Apple press release. "We're thrilled to give viewers a sneak peek of Apple TV+ and cannot wait for them to tune in starting this fall. Apple TV+ will be home to some of the highest quality original storytelling that TV and movie lovers have seen yet."

As of yet, no pricing or confirmed start date has been revealed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now this is an interesting hire. She’s done work on both “sides” of political personalities, so I take it she’s more than capable of being objective.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Very cool!
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Timryan27Timryan27 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple should buy Curiosity Stream.
    chasm
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Timryan27 said:
    Apple should buy Curiosity Stream.
    I’d love this, especially if they can improve that service (by incorporating it into Apple TV+, of course). 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    As a lover of documentaries of all sorts, I am very pleased by this news. More indie films and docs = higher quality content.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    As long as there's nothing sexist. Getting tired of the anti-male sh**.
    trashman69evilution
  • Reply 7 of 8
    As long as there's nothing sexist. Getting tired of the anti-male sh**.
    Totally agree.

but unfortunately - Apple is moving in this leftist direction (Oprah’s #metoo documentary)  Honestly- as an apple investor It’s a huge worry.  

They need to stay neutral.   Sadly they won’t.

Also - I still can’t see them competing against Disney +.  National Geographic.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m curious about just how many people watch documentaries on a regular basis as opposed to films and series. Any idea?