Threat Level WILL be raised to RED today.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I work for a city government, and our fire, police, and health departments were informed yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon that the feds plan to raise the Terrorism Threat Level from Orange to Red sometime today (Wednesday). That indicates that we move from a "High" to "Severe" risk of terrorist attacks.

I HOPE that this doesn't happen, but it's pretty much guaranteed when I hear it from my boss (the Communications Director for the city).

The question is: when does it happen? Saddam's 48 hours are up at 8pm EST, so it might not be until evening in the U.S. It may be like most of the others and take place in the late morning or early afternoon.

Either way, it's creepy to think that we're going to the highest threat level on the scale. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Red: Severe Condition

Severe risk of terrorist attacks.

In addition to the previously outlined protective measures, the following steps may be taken:

Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning specially trained teams

Monitoring, redirecting or constraining transportation systems

Closing public and government facilities

Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency needs

----

Wow ... the chatter must be getting quite intense if they're actually going to go up to Red.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    When I heard about the increased level today (or yesterday or whenever), a question came to my mind. Why did they change it? Is it do to with actual evidence or just because we are about to attack?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It's part CYA, right? It doesn't take a genius to predict that, if al-Qaeda has any US attacks planned, now will be the time chosen to unleash them. At least now the government can say "we did the best we could."

I'm supposed to get on a plane Thurs morning to visit my girlfriend in St. Louis. I'm really agonizing over whether it's a good idea. Hijacks don't scare me, given the way passengers have reacted to any nutjobs since 9/11 - but stingers and bombs do.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Well, I'd be likely to assume any jump to Red on the day of attack is, as Towel says, a CYA move.

The problem I have with these constant elevations is that after some time it's going to be a case of the 'boy who cried wolf'.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Please, please, please don't cancel travel plans. If you do, then the terrorists have already won.

I don't have any hard statistics, but I'd say you are more likely to die in a car crash than in a terrorist attack (if you live in the US). Also, my family has not altered any travel plans after 2001-09-11. We were planning on to Vancouver, BC in a few weeks, but we might change that depending on how bad this WHO SARS thing. Although, according to Google News, there may have been a breakthough, but I disgress.

Also, I repeat my question, has anyone heard anything about actual evidence (increased terrorist chatter) or is just because the upcoming war?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The problem I have with these constant elevations is that after some time it's going to be a case of the 'boy who cried wolf'.

It's also hard to know what I should do differently under red.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by glurx

Something to do with duct tape, I'm sure.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glurx

This might help. It will tell you exactly what you need to do.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Something to do with duct tape, I'm sure.

Yeah, you'll need it to wrap around your head when all the FUD starts flying from folks doubting whether or not the threat level is sincere.

I'm grateful for the alert system, even if it means some false alarms sometimes. Forewarned is (I hope) forearmed.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Yeah, you'll need it to wrap around your head when all the FUD starts flying from folks doubting whether or not the threat level is sincere.

I'm grateful for the alert system, even if it means some false alarms sometimes. Forewarned is (I hope) forearmed.

Forewarned TO DO WHAT EXACTLY? This isn't a terrorist alert system. This is a political cover your ass system! If something happens and the alert level is high, they simply saw it coming and for x, y, and z excuses, were unable to stop it. But, they warned us!!!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Is she hot?

Sorry, that was my first light comment in a while. Actually, I'm quite stressed by all this right now.

Hot enough for me to rack up 80,000 miles the last three years. She's a sweet little Korean number who's drunk too much American water, as they say. Mmm, and speaking of racks...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Forewarned TO DO WHAT EXACTLY? This isn't a terrorist alert system. This is a political cover your ass system! If something happens and the alert level is high, they simply saw it coming and for x, y, and z excuses, were unable to stop it. But, they warned us!!!

I think I'll get some RED duct tape -- here comes the FUD.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member

sweet... tension defusing caption thread lives again

-

In case of RED Alert, tighten these sphincters until directed otherwise.

You will go to the Dagobah System. Dagobah System.

Do not drink kool-aid from any religious guy, deadhead, or cheap french winery.

just trying to lighten the stress load
  • Reply 14 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My in-laws are going to a wedding in Las Vegas in 2 weeks.

I was going to give them $50 to bet on black, but I guess I better switch that to RED.

They're reconsidering going now of course... \
  • Reply 15 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I was going to give them $50 to bet on black, but I guess I better switch that to RED.

That joke was so bad it made my balls hurt.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Just playing with you, murbot, nothing but love!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

That's the funniest and cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Thanks!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It appears the gubment is waiting until this evening to raise it (which would coincide with the whole "end of the 48 hours" thing).
  • Reply 18 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    if red is the ultimate... it should result in serious protection. if its the absolute highest, the threat should be significant enough that major prevention should be made.

flights should be grounded, transportation haulted..... should go into lock-up.

at least IMO.

seems these threat levels mean shit if the highest isnt like what I described and it seems almost impossible to ever be at the lowest level
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    This puts us in the picture:

By TOM BALDWIN

Gannett State Bureau

TRENTON

If the nation escalates to "red alert," which is the highest in the

color-coded readiness against terror, you will be assumed by

authorities to be the enemy if you so much as venture outside your

home, the state's anti-terror czar says.

"This state is on top of it," said Sid Caspersen, New Jersey's

director of the office of counter-terrorism.

Caspersen, a former FBI agent, was briefing reporters, alongside Gov.

James E. McGreevey, on Thursday, when for the first time he disclosed

the realities of how a red alert would shut the state down.

A red alert would also tear away virtually all personal freedoms to

move about and associate.

"Red means all noncritical functions cease," Caspersen said.

"Noncritical would be almost all businesses, except health-related."

A red alert means there is a severe risk of terrorist attack,

according to federal guidelines from the Department of Homeland

Security.

"The state will restrict transportation and access to critical

locations," says the state's new brochure on dealing with terrorism.

"You must adhere to the restrictions announced by authorities and

prepare to evacuate, if instructed. Stay alert for emergency

messages."

Caspersen went further than the brochure. "The government agencies

would run at a very low threshold," he said.

"The state police and the emergency management people would take

control over the highways.

"You literally are staying home, is what happens, unless you are

required to be out. No different than if you had a state of emergency

with a snowstorm."
  • Reply 20 of 26
    If a specific enough threat is intercepted and warrants a red alert, am I correct in thinking that a nationwide alert is issued?

Why wouldn't a regional alert be issued, rather than shutting down everything.

The above quoted article is a bit unclear to me.