The TextBlade keyboard is superb, but you'll have to be patient

Comments

• Reply 121 of 1615
    one-off said:

If the support burden becomes too much, slow down deliveries until the new firmware is ready or the support load is managed.  By all accounts, the existing firmware exceeds all reasonable expectations we had for the original product.

I believe the damage Waytools is doing to their reputation by continuing to take customer money for new orders and continuing to miss delivery estimates, for customers who have been waiting for 4 years is far greater than any damage they would incur by beginning to ship the existing product now to the oldest customers.
    Just wanted to address a few items. Shipping and handling problems customers report with the present firmware means they are applying fixes to an already full memory system, requiring multiple changes just to make room. And, of course, also solving any issues with the new firmware. Lots of wasted effort. It's easy enough to say they should do it anyway and all will be well, or at least better than waiting longer, but no one outside WT knows all the facts (and shouldn't know all of them). WT may well be wrong about waiting. But they may also be right. As it is their money, it's their call. Just as the money you, me, and others have invested is our decision as to whether to do it, cancel, or keep it.

However, while I don't happen to agree with some of your views, I think you presented them in a reasonable manner.
    gmaddenarkorott
  • Reply 122 of 1615
    one-off said:

If the support burden becomes too much, slow down deliveries until the new firmware is ready or the support load is managed.  By all accounts, the existing firmware exceeds all reasonable expectations we had for the original product.

I believe the damage Waytools is doing to their reputation by continuing to take customer money for new orders and continuing to miss delivery estimates, for customers who have been waiting for 4 years is far greater than any damage they would incur by beginning to ship the existing product now to the oldest customers.
    Just wanted to address a few items. Shipping and handling problems customers report with the present firmware means they are applying fixes to an already full memory system, requiring multiple changes just to make room. And, of course, also solving any issues with the new firmware.
    I'm not suggesting they fix customer problems in the old firmware.  I'm suggesting that they freeze the old firmware and ship it while continuing to work only on the new firmware.  I know this will delay fixing any new issues, but based on the glowing reviews you and the other TREG folks have posted of the old firmware, any early customers affected by bugs remaining in the old firmware would almost certainly prefer to live with the bugs while the new firmware is perfected than to live without this wonderful product.  Further, I'm suggesting WT ease into this strategy by closing down new orders and keep their original promise by shipping the earliest orders first and see how it goes before they open up the order page again.

I agree that no one outside WT knows the complete picture on existing bug.  But TREG testers clearly do know more than enough to judge if the current product meets the expectations you had when you ordered.  And I don't believe any of you have recently (ever?) reported anything to the contrary.  Would you or any tester prefer to give up your test unit and wait with the rest of us for the new firmware?  If not, why should the rest of us have to wait?
    arkorott
  • Reply 123 of 1615
    Thank the tech team for that one. 

I covered these points elsewhere but i is nice to know that lost posts shake out eventually.

R
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 123 of 1615
    Yeah, yeah - definitely.

That’s how you summoned just the right tone to abuse that editor!  
    Definitely. Claymore mines in her cornflakes, breakfast email sort of thing, that’ll do it.
    Totally feeling it man.  Even Shrek’s donkey can feel that connection.  

And for sure, the best cover - just point to the nerds. Their tech did it.  Yeah, there’s the culprit.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
    You know, the sociopath for hire, the abuse made to order!
    Shut down the writer, and dis the inventors in one neat step.
    Brilliant, perfect crime!
    Waytools,

I ask in earnest: Are you on meth? I know you always spout gobbledygook, but this is some 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamond" sh**.

Do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you go around to other forums blathering on like this? What are you even trying to say? I have no idea how to even respond to this.

If you're just a hired company rep, you should be fired immediately. If you're the CEO Mark Knighton, Mark, you really need some help. Apart from drug rehabilitation, you clearly need help in remedial English, a language that's apparently not your first (or dare I say, even your second) language -- or is drug induced nonsense. I'm not the only one saying this either. It was suggested in your own forum as far back as 2015:

jacobolus said:

The waytools representative here uses lots of big words, but in unidiomatic / incorrect / awkward ways, as if he’s a non-native English speaker writing using a bilingual dictionary, or a high school student who just got his first thesaurus. It’s very disorienting to read, especially when combined with his strong emotional responses.

alexonline
  • Reply 125 of 1615
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Everybody, dial it back a bit. While this is an important conversation to have, and we're glad it's happening, we do have rules that everybody needs to follow. 
    gmaddenidea2go_twitter
  • Reply 126 of 1615
    ...What are you even trying to say? I have no idea how to even respond to this...

I dunno, Ericpeets. Resorting to personal insults, swearing and not being able to find the right words to make up a response are all pretty good indicators of a limited vocabulary... just saying. 

@One-Off, well rounded reply. Thanks. 

edited April 2019
  • Reply 127 of 1615
    one-off said:I'm not suggesting they fix customer problems in the old firmware.  I'm suggesting that they freeze the old firmware and ship it while continuing to work only on the new firmware.  I know this will delay fixing any new issues, but based on the glowing reviews you and the other TREG folks have posted of the old firmware, any early customers affected by bugs remaining in the old firmware would almost certainly prefer to live with the bugs while the new firmware is perfected than to live without this wonderful product.  Further, I'm suggesting WT ease into this strategy by closing down new orders and keep their original promise by shipping the earliest orders first and see how it goes before they open up the order page again.

I agree that no one outside WT knows the complete picture on existing bug.  But TREG testers clearly do know more than enough to judge if the current product meets the expectations you had when you ordered.  And I don't believe any of you have recently (ever?) reported anything to the contrary.  Would you or any tester prefer to give up your test unit and wait with the rest of us for the new firmware?  If not, why should the rest of us have to wait?
    Okay, let's go with that - no fixing of the present firmware. Which would mean that when people complain about a problem, WT would be telling them it won't be fixed until the new firmware comes out - which could be a long time before it is finalized. It certainly has been a long time so far! I think a lot of customers would not be happy about that!

As for closing down the order page, I can see serious problems with that too. As long as they aren't doing an advertising blitz, I'm okay with the status quo.

As for our "glowing reviews", I know I and others have said that what we, as tech nerds, may be happy with does not mean that the vast majority, who are just ordinary users, will be. I have said more than once that even after the first couple days with the TB, that I didn't want to use anything else. But I also said it sure wasn't ready for GR. Most readers have tended to lock in on just certain things that are said, while forgetting other important things. Just recently, and I think it was on this area, someone disagreed with WT comment about treg testers being customers but not testers. But that was NOT what WT said. They said we were not "merely testers". That is, we are ALSO customers. But the context was left out in the posters analysis.

In itself, that isn't a big deal. We all read or hear things and tend to automatically filter by our preconceived ideas. It only becomes a problem if the facts are then provided and the person ignores them.

Would I want to give up my TB and wait with the others? No. But it isn't that simple.

First, I'll point out that after being accepted into treg, but before units were shipped out, I posted on their forum about another person's usage situation which I thought would be a good choice - and told WT that, while I certainly would like to get mine for treg, I was willing to give up my spot to this other person if adding them would be more than they wanted. Because my focus is on what, long term, is best for getting this thing to work as well as WT wants and to be successful.

Second, we are now well after I got my first treg unit. I have completely adjusted to it. To lose it at this point would be a disaster since I'd have to relearn on a regular keyboard and it would be far worse that adjusting to the TB. Because while there are certainly adjustments to be made on the TB, the whole time you can see so many things that are better too. Going back to an old keyboard, I'd not only have to readjust, but every step of the way I would be seeing things as much harder anyway! This is actually one of my concerns - if WT is not successful, at some point there would be no working TB (everything wears out eventually). While some may say they would just sell the patents to someone else, there are plenty of things bought by other companies and then shut down. So no guarantees.

Third, we don't know how good WT want's it to be before shipping. And even treg testers don't know how widespread or common a problem may be. We probably don't even know all the problems - only those posted by other treg members, but we are a small portion of all their testers. Which brings me back to the simple point that this is simply a decision only WT can make or should make.

• Reply 128 of 1615
    Everybody, dial it back a bit. While this is an important conversation to have, and we're glad it's happening, we do have rules that everybody needs to follow. 
    👍🏼 Much obliged for that Mike. 
  • Reply 129 of 1615
    arkorottarkorott Posts: 100member
    I too have been using a TextBlade for a couple of years and very rarely use any other keyboard since the switch. In no way is this piece of engineering excellence vaporware! It essentially allows me learn one keyboard layout and use it against all the devices I use on a regular basis without having to worry about the differences in OS - I typically use Windows, IOS, Android and MacOS on a daily basis and often needing to switch between devices seamlessly. The TextBlade goes everywhere with me, so it allows me to use the most appropriate computing device for the situation at hand...for example, if I am going to a short meeting, all I need is my iPhone or iPad and the text blade...if I need to write a document that includes visio diagrams, then it's the TextBlade and my Laptop...the key being that every word is written using the same portable Keyboard that fits in my pocket and has a superior typing feel. I would recommend the TextBlade to anybody whose primary work involves sitting in front of a keyboard and I can't wait for others to have access to the technology.
    That is great !
    One word: envy. Everybody wants theirs
  • Reply 130 of 1615

Fully agree
  • Reply 131 of 1615

Everybody means everybody...just sayin'
  • Reply 132 of 1615
    arkorott said:

Fully agree
    Maybe I need to address this a bit further.

I don't think it is a matter of whether or not it fits my expectations. That only applies to whether I'm satisfied with it - which doesn't equate to meaning it should ship to everyone.

But if you want my answer to my expectations, no, it didn't fit when I first got it. Sure, I liked so many things about it that I was willing to put up with problems, but some of those problems were huge to the point I needed a replacement. Other times they were just annoying and maybe, if the problems stayed at that level, my willingness to accept them may have reversed over time.

Waytools can handle the relatively small number of testers via phone calls and replacements - it's one reason we have TREG and not GR yet. But if they had shipped to everyone, it would have been a disaster. They wouldn't have time to deal with everyone, nor should they be expected to survive while replacing vast numbers of keyboards, not to mention the terrible publicity as those with problems (and those are the people who would speak publicly the most) complain.

While lots of people may be mad about communication, etc, I think that is minor to what could happen if they send out a product like we started with.

Now, I know, it has gotten much better. But, just for the record, I've noticed the measurement for almost everyone complaining about GR is that "now" it should be good enough. And by "now" I not referring to today - but whatever "now" was at every moment for the past 4 years. While they could be correct this time (or not), it sure wasn't correct back many times in the past. Yet, at least based on those I've heard from, we all liked our devices.

Looking at it another way, maybe even WT thinks the present version is "good enough" (I don't know, of course). But they still know there will be problems come up with new customers that they need to fix. Lack of free memory makes that very hard to do and, with all the code that has to be changed each time to make room, every fix may well create a new problem. So I have no difficulty understanding that they may feel it is best to make one big rewrite, test it in house with their automated test equipment as well as their own people and only when they have it back up to the level of the old version, send it out to treg to make sure.

I also have no difficulty seeing the view of those who just think it would me best to ship now anyway. But it isn't their call to make. It isn't their risk if their preference doesn't work out for the company.

I can say it would be nice if we got a big update on what is happening though!
    arkorott
  • Reply 133 of 1615
    I too have been using a TextBlade for a couple of years and very rarely use any other keyboard since the switch. In no way is this piece of engineering excellence vaporware! It essentially allows me learn one keyboard layout and use it against all the devices I use on a regular basis without having to worry about the differences in OS - I typically use Windows, IOS, Android and MacOS on a daily basis and often needing to switch between devices seamlessly. The TextBlade goes everywhere with me, so it allows me to use the most appropriate computing device for the situation at hand...for example, if I am going to a short meeting, all I need is my iPhone or iPad and the text blade...if I need to write a document that includes visio diagrams, then it's the TextBlade and my Laptop...the key being that every word is written using the same portable Keyboard that fits in my pocket and has a superior typing feel. I would recommend the TextBlade to anybody whose primary work involves sitting in front of a keyboard and I can't wait for others to have access to the technology.
  • Reply 134 of 1615
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    To be clear, I'm talking to you too.
    Rolanbekpoisednoisearkorottalexonline
  • Reply 135 of 1615
    I too have been using a TextBlade for a couple of years and very rarely use any other keyboard since the switch. 

I have a question about how you carry the device from place to place. Do you actually pop it in your pocket? And how does it stand up to Keys, coins, fluff (pocket lint). Are there any things we need to keep away from it? Train tickets, credit cards, that sort of thing?

Are you still using the Textblade that was sent when you joined TREG or has it been replaced with a subsequent hardware revision? 

R

gmadden
  • Reply 136 of 1615
    gmaddengmadden Posts: 26member
    Mine goes in my front pants pocket with my phone. Keys and sharp things in the opposite pocket. 

Magnets as they are, attract a bit of junk when left alone. I’ve found that storing in the nano stand, magnet side in prevents issues there. 

Every couple of months I clean each of the contact points with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton tip. If gunk builds up there it can cause miscommunication between the affected blades. 

In TextBlade’s packed up form it does not allow ingress by lint or dust as the keys collapse against each other and their base creating a seal against the environment. It’s a very satisfying way they ‘click’ together and apart. 

I have had my TextBlade replaced. My first version had a weak flex connector inside the SpaceBlade. WayTools sent me a newer revision with that item replaced (it had already been identified as a weak point before mine was diagnosed). Haven’t had the same problem again. The repairability of the TextBlade is quite high - I was able to fix the old TextBlade too. 
    arkorott
  • Reply 137 of 1615
    Forgot to mention magnetic cards.

I don’t keep them in the same pocket but often have had wallet and TextBlade resting on top of one another on a desk. Australia has had contactless payment for 10 ish years so I haven’t used a magnetic bank card for a very long time. My staff cards are often magnetic though and haven’t noticed problems there. 
  • Reply 138 of 1615
    gmadden said:
    Mine goes in my front pants pocket with my phone. Keys and sharp things in the opposite pocket. 

Magnets as they are, attract a bit of junk when left alone. I’ve found that storing in the nano stand, magnet side in prevents issues there. 

Every couple of months I clean each of the contact points with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton tip. If gunk builds up there it can cause miscommunication between the affected blades. 

In TextBlade’s packed up form it does not allow ingress by lint or dust as the keys collapse against each other and their base creating a seal against the environment. It’s a very satisfying way they ‘click’ together and apart. 

I have had my TextBlade replaced. My first version had a weak flex connector inside the SpaceBlade. WayTools sent me a newer revision with that item replaced (it had already been identified as a weak point before mine was diagnosed). Haven’t had the same problem again. The repairability of the TextBlade is quite high - I was able to fix the old TextBlade too. 
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Another question I have is after you have been using your units for quite a while and the novelty factor is a little gone:

With what device you have found yourself using it the most ? Do you actually use it everyday with a laptop for example ?
    I imagine I would use it primarily with an iPad, maybe very occasionally with a phone, and not at all with a laptop.

Even though a few treggers have mentioned they use it with a laptop and have created stuff to put the TB on, I do not see myself opening up my laptop, putting a cover over the laptop keyboard and dropping a TB on top. Seems a bit cumbersome for me and do not imagine the masses doing so, but perhaps the benefits of the TB makes it your go-to keyboard for everything. 
    Comments from treggers ?

edit: corrected spelling
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 139 of 1615
    Thanks Gmadden.

Do you think that commercially available wipes, such as lens cleaning, or screen cleaning wipes would serve as a 'de-gunking' tool? 

Most of the places I have been lately are also contactless or 'Chip and PIN' areas so I was less concerned about that and more worried about magnetising small objects that tend to wind up in my pocket during the day. Nice to know that you staff card has survived as those are always a pain to replace. 

So fluff is a non issue, and storing magnet side in for when stowed is a useful tip. 

It's nice to run into another person running the 'scratchy stuff pocket' & 'stuff that gets scratched pocket' system. Do you have no concerns that the TB with scuff your phone, or do you 'back to back' them? (Screen side faces away from the TB)

R
  • Reply 140 of 1615
    May have mentioned before, I’m about 2 years in with TextBlade. Still novel, still get a kick out of using it. Still get meetings start with ‘sorry, before we begin, can you please tell me what that is in front of you?’ Have to explain what it is and let people have a go when in a meeting with new faces. I don’t mind taking people through it; I think I’ve developed a pretty good pitch now :smile: 
    I’m always sure to tell them the preorder stuff. Most are very interested but not everyone wants it for themselves, of course.

I use it across all my devices still. TextBlade is part of my everyday carry. I have found myself much less reliant on the laptop and unless I need to present on a screen will only take my phone or tablet with me to meetings. The nano stands are enough for that use.
    My desk photo was on the order status page for a while. Very typical for me to have three devices facing me at once, jumping between each to type. Of the three, the tablet currently gets the least attention.
    I have a late model MacBook Pro allocated to me for work and the key feel on it is horrendous in comparison to TextBlade. I’ll only use the built in keyboard if desperate. Most of the time TextBlade is flat on the desk with that computer. Typing while on top of the built in keyboard isn’t terrible in a pinch. Pressure required to press down a TextBlade is low enough to not activate any key below it beside Space. I use Karabiner to turn off the built in keyboard for this purpose.
    At home I have a couple of uses… Phone and tablet most often, MacBook Pro (late 2013) least often. The MacBook has a nice enough keyboard but I am much more comfortable on TextBlade. I have piece of silicone to prevent actuation of keys when I want to use this Mac on my lap. It works fine and is still natural enough for trackpad reach.

the benefits of the TB makes it your go-to keyboard for everything. 
    Yes.
    arkorottidea2go_twitter
This discussion has been closed.