Apple to integrate Qualcomm's 5G chips in iPhone by 2020, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2019
A surprise settlement in a years-long legal battle over licensing and patents has opened the door for Apple to adopt Qualcomm 5G modems, but the chips are not expected to reach iPhone until 2020.

Qualcomm 5GQualcomm 5G hardware.

Citing a source familiar with the matter, Nikkei reports Apple and Qualcomm were working toward a settlement for weeks, during which time Apple began evaluations of Qualcomm's 5G modem for use in iPhone. In addition to what appears to be internal testings, the tech giant also requested partner manufacturers to test the chip, the report said.

Despite the effort, Apple will not be able to build the chipmaker's 5G silicon into this year's iPhone. The deadline for integration, both in terms of hardware and software, has likely long passed.

"It is too late for Apple to use Qualcomm's chips this year, but for 2020 it will purchase modem chips, including 5G modem chips, from the chipmaker for iPhones after finalizing the deal," according to an unnamed source.

With a settlement secured, Apple is now free to use Qualcomm's 5G technology. Previously, Apple's two-year legal battle with the chipmaker restricted its options to Intel, whose XMM 8160 5G modem is rumored to be hamstrung by delays. A report earlier in April claimed Apple had "lost confidence" in Intel's ability to deliver the chip on time, as the company missed several development deadlines.

"Apple had been a little concerned whether a sole supplier for modems could affect the company's plan to introduce its first 5G smartphone next year," one source told Nikkei.

Apple's search for a viable 5G modem supplier has been well documented over the past few months, with numerous reports noting the tech giant is in dire straits without Qualcomm's participation. The situation changed earlier today, when settlement negotiations were finalized in time to end Apple's original action over withheld rebates and chip licensing fees that just got underway in San Diego.

While specific settlement terms have not been disclosed, the deal includes a multiyear chipset supply agreement and a backdated six-year license agreement with a two-year option to extend. Apple paid a sum to Qualcomm as part of the contract, though the company could regain those funds in rebates if the agreement is structured after Qualcomm's typical contract terms.

How long Apple will rely on Qualcomm hardware remains unknown. The iPhone maker is in the process of developing its own 5G chips for use in future iPhone models. Reports suggest Apple has between 1,200 and 2,000 engineers on the project, including recruits from Intel and Qualcomm, who are working toward a solution predicted to debut as soon as 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I'd bet testing the chips was a large contributor to the settlement.  Probably gave Apple a clearer understanding of just how far behind Intel was.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    This is actually along the lines of what we have been previously told. Earlier reports claimed that iPhones wouldn't have 5G until 2021, but it is likely that they meant "the iPhones introduced in late 2020 and sold until late 2021." While I'm sure Apple is relieved to have a source for 5G chips that it knows are good, I'm also quite sure they are continuing with their own efforts and encourage other companies to spread the 5G love around. Apple does not like to have one supplier for anything because of exactly the nonsense we've seen Qualcomm pull.

I would expect that Apple will use more than just Qualcomm for its 5G needs in 2020 and going forward, eventually phasing them out to the smallest possible role, like they have done with Samsung.
    edited April 2019 Anilu_777jony0
  • Reply 3 of 24
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    All indications are that Apple will move modems in- house in 2-3 years.   This deal buys Apple 5G coverage in short term and (likely) protects them from an IP/lawsuit when they do launch their own

I don’t understand the rejoicing on the $QCOM side.  I can’t imagine Cook has any confidence in them as a strategic supplier partner after all the BS they have pulled over the last two years 

It is just a matter of timing 
    Dan_Dilger
  • Reply 4 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This would be a great time for Apple to abandon the annual media circus it holds every September.   The circus like atmosphere and the build up create what is invariably disappointment in what are always great products  -- if for no other reason than the build up combined with media's penchant for reporting negativity rather than positivity.

For myself, It is time to upgrade at least one of our phones.  But there is no way that I would want to buy a phone that is soon to be obsolete.  That is my feeling and I can pretty much guarantee that will be the feeling in the media as well.  People just don't keep phones for a year or two anymore and the media will be merciless if Apple tries to pawn a 4G phone off on us. 

But, on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to wait a few months till Apple can come out with a product I would want to live with for the next 4-5 years.  If Apple does decide to go ahead with its September circus, then I assume they will announce a 5G phone that will soon be available.  Otherwise...
    llama
  • Reply 5 of 24
    This would be a great time for Apple to abandon the annual media circus it holds every September.   The circus like atmosphere and the build up create what is invariably disappointment in what are always great products  -- if for no other reason than the build up combined with media's penchant for reporting negativity rather than positivity.

For myself, It is time to upgrade at least one of our phones.  But there is no way that I would want to buy a phone that is soon to be obsolete.  That is my feeling and I can pretty much guarantee that will be the feeling in the media as well.  People just don't keep phones for a year or two anymore and the media will be merciless if Apple tries to pawn a 4G phone off on us. 

But, on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to wait a few months till Apple can come out with a product I would want to live with for the next 4-5 years.  If Apple does decide to go ahead with its September circus, then I assume they will announce a 5G phone that will soon be available.  Otherwise...
    Apple isn't going to give up on the yearly profit on phones nor drop the September launch time since that Maximizes profit, and am I wrong but hasn't every smartphone this year so far not been 5G, I know there are special variants like the Moto Mod and Samsung Galaxy 5G version, but none being the mainstream device, so I see no reason for Apple not to follow the same path, though I don't think they will have a 5G Pro variant.

As far as whether you'll upgrade or not. I have determined I'll be happy to keep my now 4 year old phone every year now that they don't go to 5G, as that is $1000 that isnt needed to be spent and would inevitably save $1000 down the line assuming it pushes my future upgrades linearly. Your needs and though of course might well not be that.

flyingdp
  • Reply 6 of 24

Apple isn't going to give up on the yearly profit on phones nor drop the September launch time since that Maximizes profit, and am I wrong but hasn't every smartphone this year so far not been 5G, I know there are special variants like the Moto Mod and Samsung Galaxy 5G version, but none being the mainstream device, so I see no reason for Apple not to follow the same path, though I don't think they will have a 5G Pro variant.

As far as whether you'll upgrade or not. I have determined I'll be happy to keep my now 4 year old phone every year now that they don't go to 5G, as that is $1000 that isnt needed to be spent and would inevitably save $1000 down the line assuming it pushes my future upgrades linearly. Your needs and though of course might well not be that.

If they restrict themselves to only September rollouts that means we won't see a 5G iPhone till nearly 2021.  Not everybody will be willing to wait -- particularly with the media hyping 5G as the way of the future.   Apple is likely to lost customers -- probably permanently -- if they choose that route.

As for the circus -- I have to question if it continues to be a net positive for Apple or net negative.   I have no doubt that they have wondered the same thing.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I have yet to see anyone mention why we need 5G speeds in a cell phone. I’m not saying the media wouldn’t be all over Apple for not having a 5G offering, that would probably be the case. I’m just curious what the advantage will be to me having a 5G phone. Faster app downloads? Maybe, but I can tell you that downloading apps is a minuscule portion of my total phone using time already. Faster internet? Again, maybe, currently the bottlenecks I get tend to be on the other end of my connection. So having a faster download speed won’t matter if the upload on the other end is still slow.

Can anyone tell me?
    dayejony0
  • Reply 8 of 24
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    I have yet to see anyone mention why we need 5G speeds in a cell phone. I’m not saying the media wouldn’t be all over Apple for not having a 5G offering, that would probably be the case. I’m just curious what the advantage will be to me having a 5G phone. Faster app downloads? Maybe, but I can tell you that downloading apps is a minuscule portion of my total phone using time already. Faster internet? Again, maybe, currently the bottlenecks I get tend to be on the other end of my connection. So having a faster download speed won’t matter if the upload on the other end is still slow.

Can anyone tell me?
    The same reason we now need 3 or more cameras on a smartphone - "more HAS to be better"..  LOL... but kidding aside,  I thought I read where 5G should enable better handling of iot (Internet of things), meaning so many more wireless devices besides smartphones being online...  you can go search yourself but I thought I saw something about that.
  • Reply 9 of 24

Anyone buying an “5G” phone in 2019 is not really getting a 5G phone since the standard is still evolving and will for sometime.  I work on cell phone network technology and there are zero 5G networks in the US right now ZERO.  There may be small cells up and running by the end of the year but real 5G won’t arrive until 2021 and then the coverage will be very spotty and unreliable until 2022+.    Look how long it took to really move from 2G to 3G and from 3G to 4G the move to 5G will be similar. 
    Anilu_777radarthekatllama
  • Reply 10 of 24
    dayedaye Posts: 18member

Can anyone tell me?
    Exactly and the cost of 5G monthly service? I would not expect the 5G infrastructure ready anytime soon.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 11 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

but yesterday you denied saying that lack of 5g capabilities would make a phone obsolete.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 24
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    https://www.lifewire.com/5g-availability-world-4156244

The news is most countries will have 5G infrastructure ready by the end of 2020.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 24
     ihatescreennames said:

Can anyone tell me?
    Beyond the PR and image issue, there is no actual use for 5G in a smart phone. The only possible benefit I can see in the near term is that the larger number of device connections that a 5G node allow will improve 4G speeds, but it's not clear to me if even that requires a 5G modem or if 4G phones will benefit as well. CNET ran some tests on Verizon's 5G network in Minneapolis and Chicago and the results were disappointing to say the least. 

Many people are up in arms about the fabulous capabilities of 5G - greater speeds, lower latency, greater device bandwidth. The problem is, the devices that will truly benefit from these advances are not smart phones. Beyond that, if you look at the history of such advances, the benefits are always dramatically overstated and take years longer to actually achieve widespread availability. Heck, there are plenty of areas I still can't get a decent 4G/LTE signal, and 5G signal penetration is abysmal compared to 4G. From what I've read, even human bodies are enough to attenuate the signal.

Anilu_777radarthekatllama
  • Reply 14 of 24
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    MplsP said:
     ihatescreennames said:

Can anyone tell me?
    Beyond the PR and image issue, there is no actual use for 5G in a smart phone. The only possible benefit I can see in the near term is that the larger number of device connections that a 5G node allow will improve 4G speeds, but it's not clear to me if even that requires a 5G modem or if 4G phones will benefit as well. CNET ran some tests on Verizon's 5G network in Minneapolis and Chicago and the results were disappointing to say the least. 

Many people are up in arms about the fabulous capabilities of 5G - greater speeds, lower latency, greater device bandwidth. The problem is, the devices that will truly benefit from these advances are not smart phones. Beyond that, if you look at the history of such advances, the benefits are always dramatically overstated and take years longer to actually achieve widespread availability. Heck, there are plenty of areas I still can't get a decent 4G/LTE signal, and 5G signal penetration is abysmal compared to 4G. From what I've read, even human bodies are enough to attenuate the signal.

Even if it takes a couple years to get a 5G modem in the IPhone and a few more years after that for the 5G to be useful I am happy that iPhones aren’t stuck with slow intel modems any more.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member

Anyone buying an “5G” phone in 2019 is not really getting a 5G phone since the standard is still evolving and will for sometime.  I work on cell phone network technology and there are zero 5G networks in the US right now ZERO.  There may be small cells up and running by the end of the year but real 5G won’t arrive until 2021 and then the coverage will be very spotty and unreliable until 2022+.    Look how long it took to really move from 2G to 3G and from 3G to 4G the move to 5G will be similar. 
    Exactly. For the next couple of years, all 5G will be is for bragging rights. The average consumer won't see 5G for longer than that. There are still areas where I barely see 3G so I won't hold my breathe for 5G. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

I think you are right on the annual refresh situation. It may have worked in the past but these are different times. There isn't a duopoly like there was before. Now there are three major players and two of them are shipping major updates every six months. An annual release cycle brings just one window of opportunity every year. Anything that doesn't make it through that window has to wait.

Apple does this to maximise everything it can squeeze out of one design cycle but it isn't paying off as well as it could and may be backfiring.

Last year's refresh lost a lot of fizz out of the gate. Apple Watch 4 seemed far more newsworthy than what was in reality a solid but tired 'S' cycle iPhone. By the time MWC2019 came around, no one was even talking about the iPhone except to compare it negatively with the phones announced around MWC.

The buzz was around 5G, folding phones and quad cameras etc.

Splitting the release cycle would add a second window of opportunity and allow features that didn't make it into the September/October refresh to be added. It would give marketing something to chew on and give Apple more flexibility in reacting to market trends. People will scoff and guffaw at this last point but there is no denying Apple is playing catch-up and has a way to go to really achieve that.

In a dual release cycle, any delay in a 5G modem (to give just one example) would have been mitigated very easily. Even an intel modem.

Famously, Apple marketing once said (internally): 'we don't have what our customers want' (referring to large screen phones). That, or something similar anyway. If Apple can't get 5G into the 2019 refresh, no doubt they will be pulling their hair out again as fellow marketers go into a 5G frenzy this Christmas.

Anyone assuring 5G will not be on customer's lips this Christmas is very much mistaken.

The problem is that Apple will only be able to tackle the problem a full 18 months from when those two competitors announced their first 5G phones.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    daye said:

Can anyone tell me?
    Exactly and the cost of 5G monthly service? I would not expect the 5G infrastructure ready anytime soon.
    Arguing it rationally won't translate with a buyer of a new phone in the upcoming months.

Given the choice of phones with and without 5G priced similarly why wouldn't one chose the 5G variant?

Even if anything less than the latest iPhone is unacceptable, waiting one year may be more sensical to many new buyers if aware the next year's model will future-proof them with 5G. Wouldn't that make sense to you too, unless you don't mind buying or typically do buy each years new release anyway?
    edited April 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    daye said:

Can anyone tell me?
    Arguing it rationally won't translate with a buyer of a new phone in the upcoming months.

Given the choice of phones with and without 5G priced similarly why wouldn't one chose the 5G variant?

Even if anything less than the latest iPhone is unacceptable, waiting one year may be more sensical to many new buyers if aware the next year's model will future-proof them with 5G. Wouldn't that make sense to you too, unless you don't mind buying or typically do buy each years new release anyway?
    Well, that's been clear for a while now!

IIRC, when the 4G came out, the initial modems were power hungry and had poor performance. 5G won't be of any practical use for a smart phone user for several years, so if including a 5G modem means compromising non-5G use then it would be a net negative the vast majority of the time.

Some people have to have the latest technology. Those people tend to upgrade every year or two. Others tend to be satisfied will a functional but less than top of the line phone for 3-4 years (maybe 5 if you push it) for those people, 5G really shouldn't be an issue. If you're still satisfied with your 6 then peak performance isn't an issue for you. Either user will be fine based on how 5G is expected to roll out.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    MplsP said:

but yesterday you denied saying that lack of 5g capabilities would make a phone obsolete in 2019 [but after that, it will become increasingly obsolete which makes buying a phone without it pretty stupid unless you plan to throw it away after a year or two.  But most people won't.]
    LOL...   I fixed that for you to include my complete statement -- rather than your out of context falsehood.

Funny how people and news outlets who are trying to spin a story like to edit quotes to make them fit their agenda.   it's a form of lying.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kevin kee said:
    https://www.lifewire.com/5g-availability-world-4156244

The news is most countries will have 5G infrastructure ready by the end of 2020.
    Yes, and Verizon plans to have it in 30 U.S. cities by the end of 2019.   T-Mobile is also rolling theirs out.

I wouldn't want to be stuck for the next 4-5 years with a phone stuck in the old 4G networks.  Apple knows that and that is likely why they settled with Qualcomm.  Putting out soon to be obsolete hardware would do irreparable harm to their reputation.