Hands on: JBL's fully-wireless Powerbeats Pro rival, the Endurance Peak

Posted:
in iPhone
AppleInsider is currently testing one of the newest options in the world of fully wireless earbuds for your iPhone or Apple Watch, JBL's fitness-focused Endurance Peak.

JBL Endurance Peak

If you take fitness seriously you probably want a soundtrack, and if you're wearing headphones, wireless is usually better. Even if they're a common sight in the gym, AirPods are not well-suited to exercise -- they aren't sweat-proof, they don't have good sound isolation, and they're only as secure as how well they fit in your ears.

The Endurance Peak aims to fix all those issues. It's IPX7 waterproof, which should resist not just sweat but rain and a post-workout shower. Springy ear hooks prevent the buds from falling out, and the buds themselves are specifically shaped to shut out ambient noise -- handy around machines or when gym speakers are blaring manufactured pop.

JBL Endurance Peak

The product otherwise seems to be relatively barebones by design. It comes with three bundled tip sizes, for example, and there are no built-in EQ functions -- you'll have to adjust those settings in whatever app you're using, if that's an option.

Another benefit is price, since at $119.95 the Peak is actually cheaper than AirPods and less than half the cost of Apple's upcoming Powerbeats Pro.

Something that could be considered a sacrifice is a lack of physical buttons. The Peak does have a touch-sensitive surface on the right bud, but apart from stopping and starting, we've so far found these controls to be unreliable. It's often easier to change tracks or volume from a Watch.

Sound quality has proven excellent. A tight fit maximizes bass, as well as the effect of wide frequency response ranging between 16 and 22 kilohertz. Listening to Childish Gambino's "Feels Like Summer," we even caught lyrics that were unintelligible on other earbuds.

As usual these days the Peak comes with a charging case. Though the buds themselves last up to 4 hours -- an hour less than AirPods -- the case adds an extra 24, in theory letting you train a full month before recharging, assuming three 2-hour sessions per week.

Keep following AppleInsider for a full review of the Endurance Peak in the near future.

Where to buy

If you want to get your hands on a pair of JBL Endurance Peak earbuds, third-party sellers on Amazon have the wireless earphones in stock for $119.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    to be fair, wouldn't the Powerbeats Pro be a rival to JBL's? JBL is first to market so could you really rival something that has yet been released?
    tylersdad
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Those things are hideously ugly!
    StrangeDaysjeffharris
  • Reply 3 of 12
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    How well do these work with the Apple Watch worm on the left wrist?  Any cutouts?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    BxBorn said:
    to be fair, wouldn't the Powerbeats Pro be a rival to JBL's? JBL is first to market so could you really rival something that has yet been released?
    No, because the Beats offering is the expected market leader based on past performance. These ugly things will likely not do as well and will surely be the David, not the Goliath. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Man those buds look like some el-cheapo Aliexpress headphones you'd pick up for 9.99 with claimed "official certified IPX 10000 waterproof rating for 200m"... If I were the ID that did that I'd be ashamed.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    That looks so cheap......
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Just to respond to some comments, I like the way they look. I'd still give Powerbeats the nod on aesthetics.
    applesnorangesanantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    A big downside to them is they don't have the W1/H1 chip. If you're going to use them with different devices and have to be saddled with dealing with swapping BT connections, Apple's BT chips are well worth the money.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Those are the ugliest headphones I have ever seen.  Is it a collab with Fisher-Price? Just hideous
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    joelt999 said:
    Those are the ugliest headphones I have ever seen.  Is it a collab with Fisher-Price? Just hideous
    Funny and spot-on. They do have a certain cartoonish vibe to them, kind of a cartoon Roman God Mercury with ear wings folded down. They should come with a blue and silver cape and scepter to fully complete the costume. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    larrya said:
    How well do these work with the Apple Watch worm on the left wrist?  Any cutouts?
    I recommend Combantrim to manage worms.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    BxBorn said:
    No, because the Beats offering is the expected market leader based on past performance. These ugly things will likely not do as well and will surely be the David, not the Goliath. 
    there's a little saying "Past performance may not be indicative of future results" I'd be willing to try them because I liked the OG Powerbeats but I'm not assuming they will be better or worse than any other product out.