Wisconsin governor wants to renegotiate Foxconn deal, says promised jobs unlikely

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    65026502 Posts: 380member

apple ][ said:

A $505 capital grant to pay Amazon back for building its office is literally money that could be used for something else. Whether you agree or not that it's absurd to be throwing half a billion in cash and another 2.5 billion in tax incentives at a giant megacorp like Amazon and pointing out other communities and infrastructure that could use those funds and tax breaks, misrepresenting what she said while literally getting the facts wrong yourself isn't helping your argument.

A few lousy million is irrelevant, when there is now many tens of billions of dollars of lost tax revenue that will never benefit the city.

She is dumb alright, just like her laughable and stupid green new deal. 

Her own tweets on the matter speak for themselves and she is totally clueless about economics, finance and knowledge in general. I like her as the face of the democrat party though, they should promote her even more.
    If it's irrelevant, then why did you make it sound like there was no liquid capital coming from the city? If it's irrelevant, then why did Bezos pull the deal? If it's irrelevant, then why did they offer it to a trillion-dollar company? There's no reason we should be giving handouts to giant corporations, Amazon sure as hell doesn't need it.

As for AOC, okay sure. She did graduate in the top of her class and majored in economics and international relations, but yeah "knowledge in general". They don't need to promote her, she's getting plenty of attention already. Fox News literally can't stop talking about her. Of course, not without taking quotes out of context and misrepresenting her message. As far as the GND, I'm gonna wager you think she wants to ban hamburgers and that nobody will be able to watch TV because they can't run on solar power at night or wind power when it's not windy.
    Top of her class? Yeah right. She graduated cum laude. From BU's website:

Among graduating seniors in each school and college, thirty percent will receive Latin Honors. The top five percent will be awarded summa cum laude, the next 10 percent magna cum laude, and the next 15 percent cum laude.

You basically need a > 3.0 gpa to get cum laude, which for that degree you only have to show up and make a slight effort. Not that impressive.
    apple ][
  • Reply 42 of 71
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:
    This has Donald's cheese-burger-greasy finger all over it.

He kills any good will with China and Taiwan (where Foxconn is located) and deals are aborted.

I hope Trumpers take note. He is killing the Earth, and is a deal-breaker, not deal-maker.

China is out to destroy us, maybe not military (but may so) but for sure economically. China shows us no good will that doesn't benefit them 10x more. China is our enemy and they are truly the ones killing the earth. It amazes me when Americans put China above the US just to spite Trump.
    China is a natural economic competitor going back thousands of years. Since the 1970s China has gotten their act together & the rest of the world has to deal with it. 
    As for Trump & this failure in Wisconsin, he oversold his negotiating & management skills with this project (which is typical Trump boasting going back to the election).
    Fact is in the 1990s Trump had a very poor track record in keeping his businesses going.  
    I’m certainly not putting China over Trump but what I think this failure with Foxconn shows is that Trump is not the economic miracle worker he claimed to be. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 43 of 71
    bb-15 said:
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:

He kills any good will with China and Taiwan (where Foxconn is located) and deals are aborted.

I hope Trumpers take note. He is killing the Earth, and is a deal-breaker, not deal-maker.

China is out to destroy us, maybe not military (but may so) but for sure economically. China shows us no good will that doesn't benefit them 10x more. China is our enemy and they are truly the ones killing the earth. It amazes me when Americans put China above the US just to spite Trump.
    China is a natural economic competitor going back thousands of years. Since the 1970s China has gotten their act together & the rest of the world has to deal with it. 
    As for Trump & this failure in Wisconsin, he oversold his negotiating & management skills with this project (which is typical Trump boasting going back to the election).
    Fact is in the 1990s Trump had a very poor track record in keeping his businesses going.  
    I’m certainly not putting China over Trump but what I think this failure with Foxconn shows is that Trump is not the economic miracle worker he claimed to be. 
    I'm talking today, not thousands of years ago. China steals our technology, steals our IP, manipulates their currency so they remain an exporting economy and not an importing one. China keeps their factories running non-stop, regardless of demand, and dumps the product on world markets, violating signed trade deals. China is considered a 3rd world economy in regards to the WTO. China is not our friend. Putting China ahead of us to spite Trump is foolish and wrong.

Manufacturing is trickling back to the US. Unemployment is at a 50 yr low. Minority unemployment is at an all time low. Stock market is up nearly 50%. Unfair trade deals are being renegotiated. Wages are going up. Miracle worker? I don't know, but things are looking pretty good to me. But, let's concentrate just on Foxconn.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    apple ][ said:
    tyler82 said:
    Reminds me of the Amazon boondoggle in New York that was going to cost taxpayers $48,000 per job in subsidies. Some think it is up to the taxpayers to pay for a corporation's costs. I am on the left side of that fence.
    It's subsidies, a tax break.

Now the city will have lost many billions in tax revenue and many tens of thousands of lost jobs thanks to idiot politicians like that dumb bartender from the Bronx, AOC, who actually thought that there was millions of dollars lying around someplace that the city has now saved and can now be spent on other projects. You can't fix stupid.
    Yes, like people who think AOC was responsible for Amazon choosing to pull out when it didn’t get enough corporate welfare. And yep, they’re handouts. Reps don’t like those for actual people, but sure love to give handouts to billionaires and their mega-corporations. The richest man in history doesn’t need handouts. His mega-corp, which pays $0 in income taxes, doesn’t need handouts. 

You’re repeating a lie. Read it and weep.

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/02/25/ritholtz-amazon-hq2

baconstangfastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 71
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    6502 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Manufacturing is NOT coming back to America, at least not the kind that produces lots of good paying jobs. Why can’t we get this through our thick skulls? We fall for the dog and pony show every time some company waves the “JOBS” flag in our faces. 
    Because not all of us are defeatists. Not all of us want to be subservient to China. Can't wait for the next war we lose since we don't know how to make ball bearing anymore.

But sure, I'm happy our largest employer is Walmart and not GM or US Steel.
    Yes, but the manufacturing infrastructure has been declining for over 40 years, and some types of manufacturing was never here. There are few skillsets in the population on which to rebuild a manufacturing system. 

No, instead, we have people building video games. 

baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 71
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    6502 said:
    bb-15 said:
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:

I'm talking today, not thousands of years ago. China steals our technology, steals our IP, manipulates their currency so they remain an exporting economy and not an importing one. China keeps their factories running non-stop, regardless of demand, and dumps the product on world markets, violating signed trade deals. China is considered a 3rd world economy in regards to the WTO. China is not our friend. Putting China ahead of us to spite Trump is foolish and wrong.

Manufacturing is trickling back to the US. Unemployment is at a 50 yr low. Minority unemployment is at an all time low. Stock market is up nearly 50%. Unfair trade deals are being renegotiated. Wages are going up. Miracle worker? I don't know, but things are looking pretty good to me. But, let's concentrate just on Foxconn.
    It might be true, but don't bet on it. Putting China in perspective, in the 1800's and into the early 1900's the US was violating IP (patent, copyright) laws at will. We stole everything that wasn't tied down. Not until the US starting producing literature and inventing stuff did the US then find an interest in having international patent and copyright laws enforced. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 47 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    apple ][ said:
    tyler82 said:
    Reminds me of the Amazon boondoggle in New York that was going to cost taxpayers $48,000 per job in subsidies. Some think it is up to the taxpayers to pay for a corporation's costs. I am on the left side of that fence.

Now the city will have lost many billions in tax revenue and many tens of thousands of lost jobs thanks to idiot politicians like that dumb bartender from the Bronx, AOC, who actually thought that there was millions of dollars lying around someplace that the city has now saved and can now be spent on other projects. You can't fix stupid.
    Yes, like people who think AOC was responsible for Amazon choosing to pull out when it didn’t get enough corporate welfare. And yep, they’re handouts. Reps don’t like those for actual people, but sure love to give handouts to billionaires and their mega-corporations. The richest man in history doesn’t need handouts. His mega-corp, which pays $0 in income taxes, doesn’t need handouts. 

If you actually think there is a dime’s worth of difference between the two parties when it comes to their relationships with the wealthy and corporations, you’re kidding yourself.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    First, I’m amazed that this thread is still open. I guess everyone has been pretty well-behaved.

Now, my only real problem with this article is that it describes subsidies as “handouts.”  I’m not a big fan of subsidies like these or with New York’s now defunct Amazon deal. But, they also aren’t exactly “handouts.”  They aren’t *terrible* ideas.  I would much rather see much lower taxes in general...where we didn’t have to have special carveouts.   Since that’s what’s happening here, I find it hard to believe the deal was written in such a way that if they don’t deliver on their promises, they don’t get their full subsidies.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    larryjw said:
    6502 said:
    bb-15 said:
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:

It might be true, but don't bet on it. Putting China in perspective, in the 1800's and into the early 1900's the US was violating IP (patent, copyright) laws at will. We stole everything that wasn't tied down. Not until the US starting producing literature and inventing stuff did the US then find an interest in having international patent and copyright laws enforced. 
    I'm not sure this is true. The first international patent agreement, from what I can tell, wasn't until 1884 (Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property). The US has always been a highly inventive society (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions), I wouldn't say we stole everything in the past. Also, the US has 368 Nobel prize winners vs. 2 for Mainland China.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    apple ][ said:
    tyler82 said:

If Bezos walked up to you and said give me $100 today and starting in a few years I'll give you $500 a year, every year, would you do it? Or would you say screw you Bezos, you're a billionaire, I'm not giving you anything.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tyler82 said:
    No, that's a false analogy.   Amazon headquarters and the high paying jobs that got turned away were real, not imaginary.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    lkrupp said:
    Manufacturing is NOT coming back to America, at least not the kind that produces lots of good paying jobs. Why can’t we get this through our thick skulls? We fall for the dog and pony show every time some company waves the “JOBS” flag in our faces. 
    Yes, totally agree...
    There are multiple things going on:
    1)  The U.S. labor market is too expensive -- partly because of wages and partly because of how it is saddled with financing healthcare costs as well as other items such as pension costs.
    2)  The U.S. labor market has been decimated by automation.   A steel mill that used to employ 4,000 can now turn out the same amount of product using just 400 workers.
    3)  Increasingly the U.S. labor market is less well educated than that of Asian countries.
    4)  In many areas the "us vs them" union mentality persists and makes for an unfavorable business environment.

And, there are, of course, other reasons.   But the net effect is:   The "U S A" chanting, beer bellied blue collar worker who can barely read and programming a computer is totally beyond his reach isn't going to find a plethora of high paying jobs in the U.S. anytime soon.

The truth is:   The U.S. basic industries faltered in the 70's and failed in the 80's and were replaced in the 90's with financial and technical entities like Goldman Sachs and Apple that have kept us going.   Government did its best back then to protect its businesses and industries but was unable to turn stop the wheels of global progress.  There is no reason to think government today can do what it couldn't do 40 years ago because the problems that created the job losses are fundamental and have yet to be addressed.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 53 of 71
    6502 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Because not all of us are defeatists. Not all of us want to be subservient to China. Can't wait for the next war we lose since we don't know how to make ball bearing anymore.

As Jimmy Carter pointed out to Donald Trump last week:  One of the reasons the U.S. cannot match China's growth and why they are projected to replace us as the world's leading economy in the next 15 years is that they have not fought a single war in 60+ years while we have engaged in essentially non-stop war since WW-II.

We see engaging in war as show of strength.   China instead invests its resources more wisely and strategically.
    dewmebaconstang
  • Reply 54 of 71
    sflocal said:
    Typcial finger-pointing politics.  If a democrat was the governor when Foxconn first came around, they too would have grabbed their ankles as well.  This finger-pointing is absolutely childish and is exactly the problem with politics today.

Just deal with the aftermath and move on.  I just hope that whatever contract was signed has contingencies all over the place in case Foxconn doesn't keep up to their side of the deal.

This is where a politician that was saavy with technology would have been handy.  I myself would not have trusted any asian company that does what Foxconn does to say they can bring manufacturing jobs into Wisconsin.  American labor is just too expensive.  The politicians regardless of partisan just saw an opportunity to look good in front of the camera.
    Instead of holding people accountable for their actions, Republicans have grabbed onto the "all government and all politicians are corrupt and incompetent" mantra and used as the basis for their "They all do it" excuse.
    baconstang
  • Reply 55 of 71
    6502 said:
    mknelson said:
    apple ][ said:
    Trump is doing a great job, way better than the impotent bum who came before him.
    The "impotent bum" who helped turn around the 2008 collapse and gave Trump a booming economy in return?

Good thing the ACA covered Viagra!  :D
    The 2008 collapse would have naturally worked it way out (once the foreclosures were done) just like every other recession we've been through. He did nothing special to quicken the natural recovery. Btw, Bush inherited the dot com collapse from Clinton and did just fine his first 7 yrs.
    You mean like how the Great Depression "worked its way out"?
    The Great Recession came very close to becoming the Great Depression version 2.   George Bush in a rare moment of clarity realized the ramifications and initiated the stimulus that Obama and the Fed continued over the next 8 years that both saved us from a full blown depression and pulled us out of the recession.
    dsdbaconstang
  • Reply 56 of 71
    6502 said:
    bb-15 said:
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:

I remember reading the same excuses about why Japan was decimating our steel, auto and electronics industries back in the 80's.

As for today's economy :  Thanks Obama for the wise leadership and fiscal responsibility that propelled us out of a near depression and back into prosperity.   Hopefully Trump is out of office before he can drive us into bankruptcy.

dsddewmebaconstang
  • Reply 57 of 71
    6502 said:
    lkrupp said:

As Jimmy Carter pointed out to Donald Trump last week:  One of the reasons the U.S. cannot match China's growth and why they are projected to replace us as the world's leading economy in the next 15 years is that they have not fought a single war in 60+ years while we have engaged in essentially non-stop war since WW-II.

We see engaging in war as show of strength.   China instead invests its resources more wisely and strategically.
    China fought a war with Vietnam (and lost) in the late 70's, and have spent billions on military build up since, so your theory is false. The US has not been in non-stop war since WWII unless you have a very loose definition of war.

It amazes me how Americans cheer China's success (at our expense) and pray for our quick demise. It is really stunning how much American's hate themselves. I guess 8 years of the defeatist Obama will do that you our psyche.
  • Reply 58 of 71

6502 said:
    bb-15 said:
    6502 said:
    stevenoz said:

I remember reading the same excuses about why Japan was decimating our steel, auto and electronics industries back in the 80's.

As for today's economy :  Thanks Obama for the wise leadership and fiscal responsibility that propelled us out of a near depression and back into prosperity.   Hopefully Trump is out of office before he can drive us into bankruptcy.

We finally had strong leadership that stood up to Japan and their economy has hardly recovered since. Trump is trying to do the same, we should be thankful we finally have a strong leader.

Obama had neither wise leadership nor fiscal responsibility in terms of our economy. His admin only reduced interest rates and put forth home refinance plan that most were not qualified for and was poorly run. On top of this he doubled our national debt, meaning he added more to our debt than all previous presidents combined. He made us look weak on the world stage by giving in on every trade negotiation or treaty. He was only concerned about his legacy.
    apple ][
  • Reply 59 of 71

6502 said:
    mknelson said:
    apple ][ said:
    Trump is doing a great job, way better than the impotent bum who came before him.
    The "impotent bum" who helped turn around the 2008 collapse and gave Trump a booming economy in return?

Good thing the ACA covered Viagra!  :D
    The 2008 collapse would have naturally worked it way out (once the foreclosures were done) just like every other recession we've been through. He did nothing special to quicken the natural recovery. Btw, Bush inherited the dot com collapse from Clinton and did just fine his first 7 yrs.
    You mean like how the Great Depression "worked its way out"?
    The Great Recession came very close to becoming the Great Depression version 2.   George Bush in a rare moment of clarity realized the ramifications and initiated the stimulus that Obama and the Fed continued over the next 8 years that both saved us from a full blown depression and pulled us out of the recession.
    The US has been through many recessions over the years and worked its way out of all of them. The last recession hit us harder since it was based almost entirely on the housing market where rates were low and people were blowing their home equity on nonsense purchases thinking the housing market will never go down. It's one thing to lose you job it's another to lose your house. That's why it felt worse. The stock market had fully recovered within a few years and has been on a tear since.

Glad you admit Obama simply continued the stimulus Bush started.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    6502 said:
    lkrupp said:

And India is actively trying to replace China.