2019 iPhone predicted to have triple-lens camera with super-wide lens, improved selfie cam...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting that the triple-lens camera system on at least two models of the 2019 iPhone lineup will have a wide-angle lens, and the selfie front-facing camera will be improved as well.

New renders of a triple camera iPhone, via Macotakara
Renders of a triple camera iPhone, via Macotakara

In a note to investors, seen by AppleInsider Ming-Chi Kuo predicts that the rear cameras of the expected 6.5-inch OLED, 5.8-inch OLED, and 6.1- inch LCD 2019 iPhone models will likely upgrade to triple-camera and dual-camera, respectively. More specifically, a Sony-provided super-wide camera will be added to the model. A new black coating will be used to make the camera "inconspicuous," but what precisely that entails is not presently known.

Additionally, the front camera of all three new iPhone models will likely upgrade to 12MP CIS+5P lens versus the current 7MP CIS+4P lens.

The remainder of the note focuses on expected component beneficiaries, including Genius, feeding into the Sony camera. Kuo predicts that Largan will see a hit on orders, because Genius' super-wide lens production is higher.

Ming-Chi Kuo's camera expectations for the 2019 iPhone lineup
Ming-Chi Kuo's camera expectations for the 2019 iPhone lineup

Aside from Huawei, Apple would also be joining a number of other companies moving towards using more than two cameras on the back of their devices. The recent launch of the Galaxy S10 range includes triple camera options, with a 5G version having a fourth for 3D depth mapping.

The 12 megapixel selfie camera prediction is the first time that it has been predicted to go that high -- but not the first suggesting an upgrade is coming. One January report claimed the front-facing TrueDepth camera will be upgraded from a 7-megapixel model to a 10-megapixel sensor.

Kuo has previously predicted that the 2019 iPhone lineup will retain a Lightning connector rather than adopt USB-C, as the iPad Pro range has. iPhones are also expected to keep Apple's TrueDepth camera and an associated display notch. All or part of the lineup is slated to get UWB (ultra-wide band) for indoor positioning and navigation, a frosted glass casing, and larger batteries. One interesting addition is so-called "bilateral" wireless charging, which would allow the phone to charge other devices wirelessly, acting as a charging pad of sorts.

TrueDepth may see an update with a higher-power flood illuminator for better Face ID recognition, Kuo said, while a new 6.1-inch LCD model might be upgraded to incorporate 4GB of RAM, up from the current 3GB in the iPhone XR.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Next iPhone top heavy as well as just heavy. 
    curtis hannahtyler82
  • Reply 2 of 63
    spice-boy said:
    and wallet lite
    tyler82
  • Reply 3 of 63
    spice-boy said:
    and wallet lite
    Sir “Jony’’ and his crew no doubt have considered how to deal with keeping the iPhone slim and trim.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 4 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’d rather have a 1.4 sensing site size for the tele sensor instead of the super wide camera so that that camera would take pics as good as the wide camera does. Then I’d like to have Apple’s computational methods give us a night mode as Huawei and Google does. Both would be more useful than a super wide.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Not innovation. Already in LG V-series phones since 2018. In fact they have 5 lenses/cameras now.
    uktechie
  • Reply 6 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Not innovation. Already in LG V-series phones since 2018. In fact they have 5 lenses/cameras now.
    And they take mediocre pictures.
    bb-15curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 63
    If these rumors are true, it will unfortunately not be like what Oppo unvealed recently: 
    For the last 6 years, I was actually hoping Apple would introduce a periscopic zoom... We'll have to wait for the quality, as soon as this is mass production-ready of course, but it seems the future of zooming to me...
    elijahguktechie
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Oops... later YouTube start not supported with embedding, proceed to 6:23 
  • Reply 9 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    melgross said:
    https://frankdoorhof.com/web/2019/04/solving-the-p30-pro-color-problems/

Long story short, Huawei didn't build a color model to work with their imager.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 63
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    It seems that night mode on the camera is one feature that separates the Pixel from the rest of the market (despite being a unreliable phone). Let's see what apple has under their sleeves this time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 63
    gutengel said:
    It seems that night mode on the camera is one feature that separates the Pixel from the rest of the market (despite being a unreliable phone). Let's see what apple has under their sleeves this time.
    I believe Night Mode requires cloud processing.

Apple would prefer to do it as an edge process, in real time, on any future iPhone. They will get there, but there isn't anything stopping a third party app today.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 63
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Numbers of camera does not necessarily turns to numbers of sales. It is how implemented and manufacturers them
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    tmay said:
    melgross said:
    https://frankdoorhof.com/web/2019/04/solving-the-p30-pro-color-problems/

Long story short, Huawei didn't build a color model to work with their imager.
    LG is using the Huawei camera module? I did not know that. Seems like everyone uses Sony. 
  • Reply 14 of 63
    tmay said:
    gutengel said:

Apple would prefer to do it as an edge process, in real time, on any future iPhone. They will get there, but there isn't anything stopping a third party app today.
    I don't believe so sir. Where did you see it required cloud processing? FWIW Google is moving more of their features on-device rather than requiring cloud processing, ex. Google Translate
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 15 of 63
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gutengel said:

I don't believe so sir. Where did you see it required cloud processing? 
    You are correct. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 63
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    A bit disappointed actually. A superwide lens is not something I'd really use. It's not a "killer feature" for me. I already shoot panoramas for that sort of thing. But then just maybe I could get the current model at a discount. That would be sweet. (Am I the only one that is thinking it's time for them to retire the 7s and 8s and just go with various models of the X line?)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 17 of 63
    SNJOpsSNJOps Posts: 3member
    Computational photography can only go so far at the moment. Apple would do well to investigate having a larger sensor and even better lens for the iPhone. Those 3 combined would increase low light performance and general IQ. I'm still going to use my Sony a7iii plus lenses but for most people I acknowledge phones are more than good enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 63
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    spice-boy said:
    My X isn't heavy. It nice a heft to it, owing to the stainless steel, which I rather like. If it's heavy to you should get a check-up.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 63
    SNJOps said:
    Computational photography can only go so far at the moment. 
    How much further? Have you read something about where the limitations will be? Personally I see a dim future for Sony's mirrorless line, no better than for DSLR's, and much of it will be due to computational photography.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAdG6wIAaM
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 20 of 63
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I'm almost disappointed to say photos from some relatively cheap Android phones are really quite impressive, especially in low-light or night shots. Apple needs to pull a blinder to surpass those. Photos from Huawei's P30 are stunning (even if the colours have to be fixed), making the iPhone's look very average, which is quite saddening really. 
    edited April 2019