Apple hires ex-Lionsgate executive Danielle DePalma to oversee Apple TV+ marketing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is continuing to flesh out the management for its original video efforts, by installing former Lionsgate EVP Danielle DePalma as a Senior Film and TV Series Marketing executive to promote Apple TV+ and other content available from from the company.

Apple revealed Apple TV+ in March, a service Danielle DePalma is expected to help market.
Apple revealed Apple TV+ in March, a service Danielle DePalma is expected to help market.

Formerly an executive vice president of "Worldwide Digital Marketing & Research" for studio Lionsgate, DePalma spent a decade overseeing the digital and social media campaigns for major franchises, including "the Hunger Games" and "Kick-Ass."

DePalma departed Lionsgate in January, reports Deadline, and though it is unclear exactly when she joined with Apple, it is likely the executive did so shortly after leaving her former employer.

In her new role, DePalma will be overseeing the film and TV series marketing of Apple's original content, which is being offered as part of Apple TV+, and will be reporting directly to Apple Head of Video Marketing and former Sony TV executive Chris Van Amburg.

DePalma is the latest in a long string of hires and content deals by Apple as it builds out its Apple TV efforts. Recent additions to the roster include A&E Indie Films founder Molly Thompson, an agreement for a "first look" at TV shows and films from Ron Howard's Imagine Documentaries, and Universal Televisions showrunner Jason Katims.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Wow. These guys are not PG. NC-17 feels a bit too low too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Can someone please explain Apple TV+. What exactly are they 'marketing'?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Wow. These guys are not PG. NC-17 feels a bit too low too.
    Wait ... what? You mean to tell me that the rumors about what Apple is doing might not be 100% accurate? I’m shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tv+ will be a subscription television streaming service. Nothing is known about what you will get with a subscription, if there will be tiers, and how it will integrate with the TV app in tvOS/macOS/iOS. All that is really known is that it will include Apple's own television productions, about which a fair amount is known. Apple has chosen not to give its production company a name -- these will be Apple productions. I like that -- it gives the whole thing a bit more weight. 

So that's one clear dimension to the marketing effort -- the shows themselves.

Beyond that, we don't know. There's a chance that Apple's own productions will be available for free on tv hardware, as well as iOS and macOS. So in that case, the question becomes, what do you get when you subscribe to tv+ on an Apple device? I don't know.

It's also possible that tv+ will basically merge with the current TV app, allowing you to subscribe to HBO, Disney +, ESPN+, CBS, Showtime, Starz, and so on. Any subscription gets you Apple's own productions. I think it can be argued that the structure of the March event pointed toward something like that, when you fill in the blanks.

So then there would be marketing for that, too. Privacy being a big part of that message. Apple handles your personal information, while providing data on your viewing habits in forms that protect you. 
    racerhomie3pscooter63Notsofastmatrix077
  • Reply 5 of 6
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    ATV+ is Apple's branding for their own original content
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 6
    One can't reply to one's own posts, and nobody is reading this at this point anyway, but I wrote my earlier comment on tv+ in a hurry, couldn't edit it when I returned, and it's a bit fuzzy...

#1, Canukstorm (directly above) may be right about the branding. I didn't conclude that from the presentation, but I can see how it can be read that way. Instead, I saw a parallel between news+ and tv+ that made me think along the lines noted in my comment above. It won't be all-you-can-eat like news+, but it will act as a portal to a curated group of television subscription channels. Again, privacy.

I want to add that tv+ could mean the Apple content will only be available on Apple devices. Sounds insane, but I haven't seen anyone else suggest this, and I think it needs to be considered. What would that mean?

And yes, I set macOS/iOS up so when I type "appl" I get the ...
    edited April 2019 pscooter63