Apple hosts Will, Jaden & Jada Smith at Apple Park for environmental talk

Posted:
in General Discussion
As part of its environmental press barrage on Thursday, Apple hosted a talk at Apple Park featuring actors/musicians Will, Jada, and Jaden Smith.

Will, Jada, and Jaden Smith

Jaden recently founded Just Water, an organization meant to bring clean water to places like Flint, Mich., -- a city still coping with massive lead pollution. Apple CEO Tim Cook drew attention to the talk and Jaden's cause via Twitter.

Moderating the event was Apple's VP of environment, policy, and social initiatives, Lisa Jackson, who came to Apple after running the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency under the Obama administration.

Everyone deserves access to quality water. Thanks for the leading the charge, @officialjaden, and for sharing your passion for the environment with us today at Apple Park. Your enthusiasm is contagious! ?? pic.twitter.com/2juv8zxMWT

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

To further depict itself as environmentally friendly, Apple simultaneously released its annual Environmental Responsibility Report and opened the doors to its Material Recovery Lab in Austin, Tex. All three initiatives came ahead of Earth Day on April 22.

Apple's global operations are now entirely powered by renewable energy, and the company is both pushing and aiding suppliers in greening their footprint. It has pledged to ultimately create a closed recycling loop, but is still a considerable distance from that goal.

Special environmentally-themed Today at Apple sessions will be held at all Apple stores to mark Earth Day. The App Store will meanwhile feature original stories and collections, and for Apple Watch owners, a custom Earth Day award and Messages stickers will be available if they complete a 30-minute outdoor workout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    As an Apple consumers, we are also environmentally managing our usage of electricity to charge up our devices....with 13 apple devices, we make it a point to fully charge our devices and battery pack on day time where our solar panels are at maximum generations, at night we use our battery pack if needed...However small our contributions,  helps our mother Earth..
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    My one problem with bottled water, ethical or otherwise, is that often it travels huge distances to get to the buyer’s hands. 
    What should be promoted is access to cheap, clean, local city/tap water for every citizen, whether you live in Flint or Beverly Hills. 
    space2001jony0
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    thedba said:
    My one problem with bottled water, ethical or otherwise, is that often it travels huge distances to get to the buyer’s hands. 
    What should be promoted is access to cheap, clean, local city/tap water for every citizen, whether you live in Flint or Beverly Hills. 
    This should be applied to third world countries as well. According to Alex Lindsay, one of the places he frequents in Africa require the local population to put local water in bottles and place it on corrugated metal sheets in the sun. The is the process of attempting to make the water safe to drink.

A lot of sickness and death could be avoided with easy access to clean, safe water.

• Reply 4 of 6
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    thedba said:
    I have never used bottled water, our tap water in SD is very good...i agree w you arguments..Flint being one that had issues w drinking water is beyond me, the local politicians who manage the water utilities must be held accountable....so sad that it is happening in America 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    WoahoooowwwwwWoahoooowwwww Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    As an Apple consumers, we are also environmentally managing our usage of electricity to charge up our devices....with 13 apple devices, we make it a point to fully charge our devices and battery pack on day time where our solar panels are at maximum generations, at night we use our battery pack if needed...However small our contributions,  helps our mother Earth..
    Wow Smith Family, step by step, teach us how you as an individual actor who had zero careers in tech not even technician walked into Apple Park, had conversation with Tim Cook, interacted with HQ corporate as a genie. Slow down. Even I had 20 years of straight career in tech, and they didn't even let me speak a single word with Tim Cook nor Woz there. How is this fair?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Wow Smith Family, step by step, teach us how you as an individual actor who had zero careers in tech not even technician walked into Apple Park, had conversation with Tim Cook, interacted with HQ corporate as a genie. Slow down. Even I had 20 years of straight career in tech, and they didn't even let me speak a single word with Tim Cook nor Woz there. How is this fair?
    Fair? It’s not like they just walked in one day. Did you also start an organization around clean water? Why would they want to talk to you? You know Woz doesn’t work at Apple, right?