Editorial: Could Apple's lock on premium luxury be eclipsed by an era of good-enough gear?...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Johan42 said:
    Diminishing returns is here. Apple’s planned obsolescence as well. Who will prevail? The customer who has no sense will.
    You’re high. Apple devices have the longest lifespan in the business — both in official support terms (iOS), and in real world useful lifespan. My primary desktop is a 2011 iMac. I have an iphone 4s that was used as a primary device by a family member until a year or two ago and now is a backup device. What other brand has the same support and lifespan longevity? 
    My Lenovo Thinkpad T60P laptop is over 12 years old and runs like it was new -- but with a modern OS and I'm thinking swapping its main harddrive for an SSD.  How does Apple have the "longest lifespan" ?
    Same here buddy. My MacBook is from late 2008. It is 11 years old, running smoothly , and it does so looking 5 times better than your machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 147
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Johan42 said:
    Diminishing returns is here. Apple’s planned obsolescence as well. Who will prevail? The customer who has no sense will.
    You’re high. Apple devices have the longest lifespan in the business — both in official support terms (iOS), and in real world useful lifespan. My primary desktop is a 2011 iMac. I have an iphone 4s that was used as a primary device by a family member until a year or two ago and now is a backup device. What other brand has the same support and lifespan longevity? 
    My Lenovo Thinkpad T60P laptop is over 12 years old and runs like it was new -- but with a modern OS and I'm thinking swapping its main harddrive for an SSD.  How does Apple have the "longest lifespan" ?
    Same here buddy. My MacBook is from late 2008. It is 11 years old, running smoothly , and it does so looking 5 times better than your machine.
    The difference is that the good looking machine is running an old OS X 10.11 while the ugly one is capable of running the latest version of Windows 10.  Following the original post about longest lifespan, the ugly one is ahead considering it's running a modern OS.  Still, both devices are to old for modern applications.  
    elijahgLatkomuthuk_vanalingambigtds
  • Reply 23 of 147
    I think the market as a whole has adjusted to the Krusty the clown motto of “Not just good, good enough.”  Android and PCs have always had that half baked feeling when using those devices. Sure they have gotten better, but they still have that “off” feeling that just doesn’t feel right. 
    You can argue that not only have those products gotten marginally better, but Apple’s QC has gotten significantly worse. iOS has had it’s share of negative press since iOS 7. That’s when things got noticeably worse in comparison to older versions. The flat icons and interface was not received as well as the older skeuomorphic design, the ui was not planned out as well either. Updates to the iOS could and many times did result in the update having an issue and putting the device in recovery mode.  Customers were flocking to Apple stores very upset that the update bricked their device and ruined their day because they didn’t know how to resolve it. 

This was when I noticed a turning point in customers willing to try android devices because of their anger that to them, Apple released a buggy update. Since Apple didn’t comment on what happened it made customers feel like Apple didn’t care.
    Thus came an exodus to Samsung and a sizeable chunk of iPhone owners left to what they thought were greener pastures. 

Many came back, but many badmouthed Apple
    to whoever they could and it did do significant damage to the brand image. If you look at some of the most ardent Apple haters, you will find that most of them used to use Apple products and they had such bad experiences that they left the brand and tried to cause it harm. Sure a lot of people left because they wanted bigger screens, but I don’t think that was the major reason why Apple device sales dropped while Samsung’s went up. 

Ironically, I think Apple’s worst enemy is itself. They have forgotten that putting more effort into quality of features rather than quantity makes a better product and a better experience.  
    The battery fiasco was someone’s oversight about not educating the general public that most smartphones have a 2 year battery lifespan and slowing down a device with a failing battery instead of letting it power off is not helping the customer.
    I would have made a pop up message that would inform the owner that the device’s battery is failing and may power off unexpectedly and could lead to device failure. Instead they decided to give $29 battery replacements, even to people who didn’t need them, but needed to erase their device and setup as new.  
    This was a major disaster for Apple. They didn’t think that many people would replace their batteries. 

So add that with MacBook Pro keyboard
    topcase issues and you can see why people are willing to give the dark side a try. The quality distance between both sides has shrunk. Luckily Apple has finally noticed it and is working hard to undo the damage it has done to itself. 

Samsung doesn’t need to be addressed, they are imploding on their own without any effort from Apple. 

Qualcomm is feeding the press stories that will try to paint Apple as the bad guy when they are the actual villains. 

Just wait until later this year when Apple goes on the offensive with product releases. 

Latko
  • Reply 24 of 147
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    daven said:
    Johan42 said:
    My early 2009 iMac does the same. What is your point? They are talking about cell phones.
    How is "apple products" and "2011 iMac"  limited to iPhones?
    elijahg
  • Reply 25 of 147
    There are two different business models that seem to be getting blended into one in this article. "Good-enough gear" could arguably apply to midrange phones or if you think they are below the bar set by Apple, then flagships of Samsung and Huawei. They do 90% of the job of an iPhone and I assume most people on here would agree with that, it's the extra 10% that they are will to pay a 30% premium for.

Then there's the second business model of getting gear/services out to their users before they are ready. This is where the Fold fits in. This isn't some good enough product at a discount, it's new form factor at a premium. Apple wouldn't put such a device on the market until it's better but Samsung will and hopefully the early adopters realise that.

These editorials always seem to suggest that Apple's way is the right way but the world is better having both types of companies. It's not a zero sum game, technology keeps going up every time any tech company releases something new a bit flaky or something old but better.
    elijahgLatkomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 147
    Switch to the likes of Samsung and Huawei?
    Use Google supplied software?
    Use a Google supplied service?

Are you being serious or is this holiday weekend a slow news time.

Some of us value our privacy.
    that means having nothing to do with the likes of Google.
    They need to milk data about our lives by any means possible in order to sell it and to show us adverts.
    No, no and thrice no.

I know that keeping my life and that of my family off the Internet is not easy nor is it cheap. I'm prepared to pay the extra so that my life does not become part of the Google Borg.

But it is more than making a decision on what hardware and software we use. It is also deciding what NOT to use. It is also about deciding to NOT put your life onto a device that can easily be broken/stolen/mislaid. I'm talking about my iPhone.
    I don't do email on it. No social media on any platform. I only use the Safari on my phone if there is no other choice.

If I appear slightly paranoid then perhaps I am but I had my Identity Stolen some years ago (by a bitter ex). Anyone who has had that happen to them will know now it affects your life from top to bottom.

racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 147
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    The difference is that the good looking machine is running an old OS X 10.11 while the ugly one is capable of running the latest version of Windows 10.  Following the original post about longest lifespan, the ugly one is ahead considering it's running a modern OS.  Still, both devices are to old for modern applications.  
    Nonsense. The capabilities of a machine depends on the CPU. You cannot override CPU’s physical limitations with the OS, no matter how modern it is. Windows support of earlier machines is because those were crap in terms of security. This a just a burden on Microsoft, not progress.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 147
    Johan42 said:
    Does it run a modern OS or is it back dated?
    Regardless, the comment was in response to the statement that Apple Products and Macs "have the longest lifespan in the business".   At best, they can tie quality machines from other vendors.   But, with non-upgradeable & non-repairable components,  that is becoming less and less likely. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 147
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    My 2006 Thinkpad is running current levels of "modern applications"
  • Reply 30 of 147
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    I get that there are people that have applications running equipment, for example, that is driven by software under Windows ME and Windows XP, that don't want to upgrade because the software cost doesn't justify that. There's plenty of older hardware, PC's, available off of eBay to do that indefinitely, and maybe they should.

On the other hand, 10 years of software development is likely going to give you substantially increased productivity, when driven by recent, and relatively inexpensive PC's.

I'm quite happy that Apple has transitioned to fully 64 bit OS and applications, even at the cost of leaving behind people whose applications are now unsupported by Apple on deprecated hardware, and the reality is, that most people are better off in a world where all of your devices are easily synced, a benefit even you would agree would be the case of upgrading to Windows 10.

Myself, I'll be migrating most of my MCAD software from a Windows 7 Lenovo D20, which was quite fast in its day, to running on a Mac of some type late fall, benefitting from Autodesk's broad support of Parallels.
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 147
    There are two different business models that seem to be getting blended into one in this article. "Good-enough gear" could arguably apply to midrange phones or if you think they are below the bar set by Apple, then flagships of Samsung and Huawei. They do 90% of the job of an iPhone and I assume most people on here would agree with that, it's the extra 10% that they are will to pay a 30% premium for.

Then there's the second business model of getting gear/services out to their users before they are ready. This is where the Fold fits in. This isn't some good enough product at a discount, it's new form factor at a premium. Apple wouldn't put such a device on the market until it's better but Samsung will and hopefully the early adopters realise that.

These editorials always seem to suggest that Apple's way is the right way but the world is better having both types of companies. It's not a zero sum game, technology keeps going up every time any tech company releases something new a bit flaky or something old but better.
    I would agree with that -- if all you are looking at is hardware.
    But Apple products are FAR more than mere chunks of hardware.   It is their software and ecosystem that truly set them apart -- and with that in the mix comparisons become much more difficult.  for instance:  "How much is your security and privacy worth to you?"
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 147
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    Both machines are fine. Both can run windows 10. I am happy that you are happy with your system.
  • Reply 33 of 147
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Johan42 said:
    There's a difference between having it run a specific OS and having a good experience running it. Sure, Apple could also allow for a 2006 Mac to run macOS Mojave, but would the user have a good experience, no. 

You are also not the norm. Most consumers don't keep their computers around for 12yrs. 

Also, I have a friend who works for a company that has Lenovo laptops and he says they're the biggest pieces of shit they have. The repair person while as well setup shop there because he's there at least once every other week fixing something on a laptop. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 147
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    Johan42 said:
    Diminishing returns is here. Apple’s planned obsolescence as well. Who will prevail? The customer who has no sense will.
    Honestly, do you ever have anything good to say about Apple or are you just here to piss all over everything Apple does? Seriously! If you don't like Apple products and services then just go somewhere's else. 
    You do realize that some of us like the products, but not so much the direction they (Apple) or some devices are taking?  You don't need blind faith and unrelenting fanboyism for everything Apple does and that shouldn't be a metric for participation here. macOS is still the best computer OS around, even if Apple appears to be disinterested in it at times over iOS.  I'll stick around and pay the $$$ just for it, even if I'm not always thrilled with the hardware - because the OS more than compensates.  OTOH, I don't like the iOS walled garden so Android with higher end hardware is my choice for mobile.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingambigtdsJohan42
  • Reply 35 of 147
    Switch to the likes of Samsung and Huawei?
    Use Google supplied software?
    Use a Google supplied service?

Are you being serious or is this holiday weekend a slow news time.

Some of us value our privacy.
    that means having nothing to do with the likes of Google.
    They need to milk data about our lives by any means possible in order to sell it and to show us adverts.
    No, no and thrice no.

I know that keeping my life and that of my family off the Internet is not easy nor is it cheap. I'm prepared to pay the extra so that my life does not become part of the Google Borg.

But it is more than making a decision on what hardware and software we use. It is also deciding what NOT to use. It is also about deciding to NOT put your life onto a device that can easily be broken/stolen/mislaid. I'm talking about my iPhone.
    I don't do email on it. No social media on any platform. I only use the Safari on my phone if there is no other choice.

If I appear slightly paranoid then perhaps I am but I had my Identity Stolen some years ago (by a bitter ex). Anyone who has had that happen to them will know now it affects your life from top to bottom.

Some people are too naive to understand that. Some are also fine by giving away their personal info if they get “free” stuff. To them, saving money is worth more than protecting their privacy. They don’t value it. They get upset just the same when they find out their info was sold, but they won’t leave Android.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 147
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Johan42 said:
    Diminishing returns is here. Apple’s planned obsolescence as well. Who will prevail? The customer who has no sense will.
    Name one iPhone that was obsolete within a year or two compared to any single Android phone.  How many OS updates do most android phones get prior to being abandoned by the manufacturer?

Waiting... won't hold my breath though.

Troll.
    macpluspluspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 147
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    Nonsense. The capabilities of a machine depends on the CPU. You cannot override CPU’s physical limitations with the OS, no matter how modern it is. Windows support of earlier machines is because those were crap in terms of security. This a just a burden on Microsoft, not progress.
    IMO, having a modern OS with security updates in old PC's is progress for some users, including non-profit organizations that many time have old PC's from donations.  
  • Reply 38 of 147
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

An era of good enough? HA! Take a look at gamer PCs and laptops. They are a complete rebellion against Apple's sleek minimalist designs with their glass sides, over use of RGB LEDs pulsing colors all over their craggy innards. They are fully customizable so every gamer can have their own unique system. Despite all the gaudiness and customizability they are quite affordable compared to Macs. They are also fast as hell and can outperform even the most expensive Macs especially when it comes to GPU workloads. Speaking of which, did you know that a 2080ti GPU is about 1000 times faster than a typical Mac Intel CPU when ray tracing? Come on Apple. That has to sting a little.
    Apple doesn't make gamer rigs.  You didn't know that?  Apple is more concerned about making a profit and being a company for the masses than being concerned about a bunch of nerds in a low-profit segment that rarely go outside of their bedroom.  But hey, go right ahead and cherry-pick your agenda.

Apple makes machines that are tools to get the job done, and get that job done reliably, quickly, with style and durability.  Keep your loud gaming rig.
    macplusplusmacxpresspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 147
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    Johan42 said:
    I get that there are people that have applications running equipment, for example, that is driven by software under Windows ME and Windows XP, that don't want to upgrade because the software cost doesn't justify that. There's plenty of older hardware, PC's, available off of eBay to do that indefinitely, and maybe they should.

On the other hand, 10 years of software development is likely going to give you substantially increased productivity, when driven by recent, and relatively inexpensive PC's.

I'm quite happy that Apple has transitioned to fully 64 bit OS and applications, even at the cost of leaving behind people whose applications are now unsupported by Apple on deprecated hardware, and the reality is, that most people are better off in a world where all of your devices are easily synced, a benefit even you would agree would be the case of upgrading to Windows 10.

Myself, I'll be migrating most of my MCAD software from a Windows 7 Lenovo D20, which was quite fast in its day, to running on a Mac of some type late fall, benefitting from Autodesk's broad support of Parallels.
    These posts are related to that Macs have a longer lifespan than Windows PCs, something it's not true.  Like you said, there are many Windows XP users still running today.  But at least MS gave users the option to move many of those old machines to a modern OS with Windows 10.  Apple decide for users, and stops supporting macOS in old devices.  I know the benefits of a modern OS/PC, but sometimes it's just not possible to have modern PC's, like some non-profit organizations.  They receive donations, including old PC's.  Those kind of institutions benefit from installing a modern OS like Windows 10 in old devices, something the can't do with an old Mac.  
    elijahg
  • Reply 40 of 147
    macxpress said:
    Johan42 said:
    There's a difference between having it run a specific OS and having a good experience running it. Sure, Apple could also allow for a 2006 Mac to run macOS Mojave, but would the user have a good experience, no. 

You can Google for many cases where these old machines can improve a lot by replacing the HDD to a SSD, and extended the life of the device.  The only difference is that you'll have PC's with the latest Windows versions, and not so with an old Mac.  

You are also not the norm. Most consumers don't keep their computers around for 12yrs. 

Also, I have a friend who works for a company that has Lenovo laptops and he says they're the biggest pieces of shit they have. The repair person while as well setup shop there because he's there at least once every other week fixing something on a laptop. 
    I suppose you have the same opinion about Macbook / Macbook Pros after seeing the issues with keyboards and display cables.
    GeorgeBMac